This keto coleslaw is a simple and delicious salad recipe covered in a sugar free dressing! Often referred to as crackslaw, it has just 2 grams of net carbs per serving.
There are very few salads I enjoy.
Like most people, simple salads don’t cut it for me. They aren’t satisfying and unless we add a solid salad dressing; they add little flavor.
There are a few exceptions to this, and that includes coleslaw.
Is coleslaw ok on keto?
Restaurant style coleslaw and store-bought coleslaw are not suitable for a keto diet. The dressing that they use often has added sugar in them, and the amount of carrots that they use can throw someone out of ketosis!
Luckily, you can easily make your own keto version with a fabulous keto coleslaw dressing!
Why this keto coleslaw recipe will be a salad staple-
- It comes together in minutes, using fresh vegetables and keto friendly condiments.
- It’s crispy, crunchy, sweet, and salty in one.
- You can prepare this dish up to three days in advance.
What you’ll need to make this salad
For the salad
- Green and purple cabbage- A combination of shredded green and purple cabbage. The former has a more subtle flavor, and the purple is slightly sweeter.
- Carrot- Just a tiny amount of carrot used to keep the carbs and sugar down.
- Green onion- Adds a tiny, peppery kick.
For the keto coleslaw dressing
- Mayonnaise- Skip the expensive store-bought kind and make your own.
- Lemon juice- Just a pinch to balance out the creaminess.
- Keto maple syrup– Just a drop to amp up the sweetness and is perfect for a sugar free coleslaw.
- Dijon mustard- Gives a lovely subtle spice, and some much needed tang.
- Horseradish cream- Optional, but recommended if you love a spicy and strong kick to the salad.
How to make keto coleslaw
Start by adding the finely shredded coleslaw ingredients into a mixing bowl.
Next, in a separate bowl, add the coleslaw dressing ingredients and whisk very well, until smooth.
Now, pour the dressing into the vegetable mixture and mix very well until fully combined.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate if you are serving it later.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Finely shred your vegetables so that the dressing coats them easily and evenly.
- Prepare your coleslaw 2-3 hours prior to serving, to let the dressing soften the crunchy vegetables and let the flavor seep through.
- Add your favorite shredded vegetables for added flavors and colors.
What to serve with coleslaw
While coleslaw pairs well with any sort of keto dinner recipe, here are our favorites-
- Chicken– Air fryer chicken breast, chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, or blackened chicken.
- Fish– Grouper, tilapia, red snapper, Chilean sea bass, and haddock.
- Meat– Pork chops, glazed chops, meatloaf, and turkey meatloaf.
- Casseroles– Pizza casserole, taco casserole, cheeseburger casserole and more.
- Fried food– Fried chicken, chicken parmesan, sausage balls, and salmon patties.
Storing, freezing and make ahead instructions
- To store: Leftover coleslaw can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. The coleslaw will keep for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Do not freeze the coleslaw as when it thaws out, it will be limp and the dressing will be bitter.
- Make ahead: Prepare the salad and the dressing separately, cover, then refrigerate both for up to three days. When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the top, mix well, and serve immediately.
More keto salad recipes to try
- Keto potato salad
- Cauliflower potato salad
- Broccoli salad
- Spinach salad with hot bacon dressing
- Keto pasta salad
Frequently Asked Questions
There are just 2 grams of carbs in sugar free coleslaw.
Cabbage is a fantastic vegetable to include on a keto diet, with just 2 grams net carbs per cup serving.
Keto Coleslaw Recipe (Sugar Free!)
For the salad
- 1/2 small Green cabbage chopped finely
- 1/2 small red cabbage chopped finely
- 1 small carrot shredded
- 2 green onions trimmed and chopped
- In a mixing bowl, add your shredded and chopped vegetables and mix well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the dressing ingredients and whisk well, until combined. Pour over the salad and mix well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to chill before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.