This keto cheese bread is made with a simple and yeast-free dough and topped with two kinds of cheese! Made with just 5 ingredients, the entire recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make!
Keto Cheesy Bread
The MVP menu item on any classic Italian restaurant isn’t their pizza or their pizza. It also isn’t their tiramisu or gelato. Nothing comes close to some cheesy garlic breadsticks.
Before I started a keto diet, there had been more than one occasion where I’ve single-handedly polished off an entire serving of cheesy breadsticks AND still had room for my entrees. I always have a second stomach for anything with carbs and cheese and these were no exception.
Now, if we properly analyze what this dish actually is, it’s essentially pizza dough shaped into an oval and covered in melted cheese. Since going keto, I haven’t cut these foods out of my diet. On the contrary, they’ve made more of a presence. As someone who still enjoys pizza, bread, and cheese on a regular basis, recreating this popular bread was a no brainer.
Inspired by my fathead pizza crust, I adapted the base to make a delicious keto cheese bread recipe. It’s perfect to serve as an appetizer and reminds me of my cheesy breadsticks (minus the carbs!). It needs just 5 ingredients to make and requires ZERO yeast.
What I love about this keto cheese bread is that it tastes EXACTLY like traditional cheesy bread. I had some friends over for a big Italian-inspired keto dinner and I served this as an appetizer (obviously with some tiramisu for dessert!) and legitimately no one could tell that everything they ate was low carb- They thought I ordered from the local pizza shop!
What you’ll need to make this recipe
For the dough
- Mozzarella cheese– Low moisture mozzarella cheese is preferred, as it keeps the dough fluffy and stretchy. It also has a very mild flavor.
- Cream cheese– Full fat cream cheese that has been softened.
- Eggs-Room temperature eggs.
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour is a must, as it keeps the dough light and gives a lovely tender crumb.
- Baking powder– For the dough to be extra fluffy in the middle and to have some rise, baking powder is used as the leavening agent.
For the topping
- Mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese– A combination of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese gives the cheese bread the stretch we love, while also giving the edges a golden finish.
- Parsley– To serve.
How to make keto cheese bread?
Start by preparing the dough. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 20-second increments until both kinds of cheese are mostly melted. Remove the bowl from the microwave and whisk together until smooth.
Next, add the melted cheeses, along with the eggs, almond flour, and baking powder into a food processor. Pulse everything together, regularly scraping down the sides, until a mostly uniform dough remains.
Now, place a large sheet of parchment paper onto a kitchen surface. Transfer the dough onto the paper and place the second piece of parchment paper on top and roll the dough out into a large, oval shape. Remove the top sheet of paper and transfer onto a large baking dish and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top, reserving half an inch around the sides.
Finally, bake the cheese bread for 10-12 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the edges are golden. Remove from the oven and use a pizza cutter to slice into pieces. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best recipe
- When working with the dough, you may find it to be quite sticky. To combat this, lightly oil your hands to make it easier to knead and shape.
- If your food processor has a dough hook, attach that before mixing everything together- the dough will be much smoother and have a better texture.
- Feel free to add some pizza toppings on top, like pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, and Italian seasonings.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered, for up to 5 days. Be sure there are no air pockets whatsoever as the bread can go from soft and fluffy to dense and hard very fast.
- To freeze: Places slices of the cooled cheese bread in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Microwave the bread for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese is melty.
What to serve with keto cheesy bread
Like cheesy breadsticks or garlic bread, the most obvious thing you should serve this with is some marinara sauce. However, anything dippable works too, like alfredo sauce, cheese sauce, salsa, or even guacamole.
More keto bread recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
The best cheese for bread is a mix of mozzarella cheese with something full-bodied, like cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese.
Cheese on bread is referred to as cheese on toast. This recipe, however, is similar to cheesy breadsticks.
Keto Cheese Bread
For the dough
For the topping
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1/4 cup cilantro to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond flour and baking powder. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese and microwave in 20-second spurts until warm. Whisk together until combined and smooth.
- Transfer the melted cheese into a food processor with a dough blade attachment. Add the eggs and dry ingredients and blend until the dough is smooth.
- Roll out the dough into a large oval shape. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top, leaving ½ inch around the sides.
- Bake the cheese bread for 10-12 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and slice lengthways.