These seriously addictive cheese and garlic breadsticks are BETTER than any pizzeria appetizer. Using 2 ingredient weight watchers pizza dough, it requires no yeast and no fancy mixers to make. Gluten-free, and easily made vegan and dairy-free.
20 MINUTE CHEESY GARLIC BREADSTICKS
If you love garlic and love 2 ingredient dough, you’ll love my garlic knots, garlic bread pizza, and foolproof pizza dough.
If you’ve ever been to pizza hut, Domino’s, or any American style pizza chain, you will have come across breadsticks, but these are BETTER!
They may look fancy, but I promise you, they are so easy to make- just 20 minutes from start to finish!
There’s no yeast, no eggs, and no fancy kitchen equipment needed.
They are cheesy, garlic-y, and pulls apart beautifully. The crust is thick, chewy, and fluffy and it is LOADED with cheesy garlic flavor.
It’s also gluten-free and easily made vegan and dairy-free.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY GARLIC BREADSTICKS FROM SCRATCH
- 2 Ingredient Pizza Dough– This recipe is from scratch, thanks to this homemade 2 ingredient magic dough. It’s made with just 2 ingredients (self-rising flour and yogurt) and produces the most fantastic base for the garlic and cheese topping.
- Butter OR olive oil– Either melted butter or a good quality olive oil. I opted to make one batch vegan, so I used dairy-free butter.
- Minced garlic– Freshly minced garlic or pre-minced garlic both work great. I used pre-minced garlic because it’s easier to use and much cheaper than fresh garlic.
- Italian herbs– A mix of dried oregano, basil, and rosemary. Many supermarkets also sell pre-packaged Italian herbs, which make things so much easier.
- Shredded or grated cheese– You can use any shredded/grated cheese you like. To keep it more Italian style, use mozzarella or a mix of mozzarella, parmesan, and cheddar. See tips below to keep it dairy-free and vegan!
Making these addictive breadsticks is ridiculously simple and requires no fancy kitchen mixers or heavy kneading or anything.
Start by making your 2 ingredient magic dough. Once you’ve made that, you want to form a rectangular shape. Don’t worry if it isn’t uniform and completely well-shaped. When that is done, move it to a baking tray.
Then, you’ll lightly brush it all with either butter or olive oil. Once brushed, add the mixture of garlic, herbs and butter/oil, and brush all over the top of it. Lightly sprinkle with cheese and bake it!
Once you remove it from the oven, sprinkle with extra herbs (it really brings out the flavor!) and then use a pizza cutter, slice down the middle, and in bite-sized pieces down the side.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT HOMEMADE CHEESE GARLIC BREADSTICKS
Can I use store-bought pizza dough instead?
You can absolutely use a store-bought pizza dough if you don’t want to make my homemade version. The pizza dough MUST be fresh though and you must still roll it out.
Alternatively, you can just use a pre-made pizza crust, but it just won’t be the same.
I don’t have fresh garlic. Can I use dried garlic?
Please only use dried garlic as a last resort. Through personal experience, to achieve the fantastic garlic flavor, fresh really is best.
If you must use dried garlic, I recommend lightly toasted them first, to bring out the flavor.
To toast them, add 2-3 tablespoons onto a non-stick pan and heat up on medium heat. When the pan becomes hot, lightly mix around the dried garlic for a minute or two, until it starts to pop. Remove from the heat and use it as required.
Can I make these breadsticks vegan and dairy-free?
I’ve tested this recipe to be vegan and dairy-free, and it works just as well.
Be sure to use vegan butter and vegan and dairy-free cheese. I recommend using torn up slices of vegan cheese, as opposed to shredded vegan cheese. Torn up vegan cheese melts much more beautifully, and holds its shape.
Do I need to use cheese?
If you don’t want to use cheese, you can omit it completely.
Instead, add an extra tablespoon of butter or oil, to keep up the rich topping flavor.
I LOVE garlic. Can I add more?
For all my garlic lovers, you can add much more garlic on it if you like.
The amount used is already quite strong, similar to any garlic bread out there. For a stronger garlic flavor, add an extra tablespoon or more of minced garlic.
Please note: If you add more than 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, you need to add more oil or butter to compensate.
STORING AND FREEZING BREADSTICKS
To store: Leftover cheesy garlic breadsticks must be stored in the refrigerator, similar to leftover pizza. Be sure it is kept covered, either in plastic wrap or tin foil (aluminum foil). It will keep fresh for up to 5 days.
To freeze: Wrap portions of the breadstick in parchment paper and place it in a ziplock bag or covered in tin foil. It will freeze well for up to 2 months.
To reheat: Either re-heat in a preheated oven or in a non-stick pan.
MORE DELICIOUS 2 INGREDIENT DOUGH RECIPES
Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks (No yeast!)
- 1 batch 2 Ingredient Magic Dough
- 1/4 cup butter or olive oil dairy-free, if needed
- 3 tablespoon minced garlic * See notes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice standard or dairy-free (vegan)
- 1 tablespoon Italian mixed herbs rosemary, basil, and oregano
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare the 2 ingredient magic dough as directed. Shape it into a rough, rectangular shape. Transfer the dough onto the lined pan. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the dough with either butter or olive oil to cover the entire pizza dough completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together your melted butter/olive oil with minced garlic. Re-using the pastry brush, brush the mixture all over the top of the dough, reserving half an inch from each side. Sprinkle with cheese over the top. Add some Italian mixed herbs on top.
- Bake the cheesy garlic breadsticks for 15-17 minutes, or until golden around the edges and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with more Italian herbs. Using a pizza cutter to slice into 'breadsticks'.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Bitte bitte stell doch deine genialen Rezepte wieder in Gramm ein, ich bin mir sicher das sich noch viele andere riesig darüber freuen würden!
Grüße aus Berlin sendet,
Hi! Yes, we are updating them all to showcase this.
GROßARTIG, vielen vielen DANK, ich freue mich riesig darauf!!!
Ich lese schon viele Jahre deinen Blog und bin immer wieder aufs Neue Begeistert!
Arman, this is brilliant. I just made this recipe using gluten free self-rising flour and plain coconut yogurt and it’s fabulous. My kids have a million food allergies (only a mild hyperbole) and we always struggle to find a bread or flatbread that they can safely eat. Your recipe was delicious, quick, versatile, and we are all very happy people right now! THANK YOU for your creativity and for posting this! Wonderful!!
You are a gem, Karin!
Thanks for sharing, Arman.
We just baked this super easy no yeast garlic pizza bread with coconut yogurt and oat milk today.
We love it. 😉