Learn how to make corn nuggets; crispy outside and moist inside. Ready in less than 5 minutes, this simple recipe taste better than store-bought nuggets!
The Best Corn Nuggets Recipe
Want an easy and healthy recipe as a snack? Give corn nuggets a try, and you’ll fall in love with their appetizing taste and texture. The recipe is prepared with very budget-friendly ingredients yet never fails to get everyone’s praise!
What are corn nuggets?
Corn nuggets are variations of the famous South American snack, corn fritters. Like corn fritters, the primary ingredient of corn nuggets is sweet corn, but the flavors are different.
Corn fritters are almost always sweet and come in a thin, flat shape. They are also pan fried.
Corn nuggets are often deep fried or fried and are seasoned in different ways: spicy, sweet and spicy, etc.
Why this recipe works
Easy to make. All you have to do is mix all the ingredients, make small nuggets and fry. Even the most beginner of cooks can make this.
Crispy and crunchy. From flavor to texture, these corn nuggets tick all the boxes.
Healthy. Compared to other deep fried snacks, these are lower in saturated fat and calories.
Easy to customize. You can change the spices, add more vegetables, or even bake them or air fry them: the possibilities are endless.
This recipe for corn nuggets is simple, as you’ll only need basic everyday ingredients you probably have in your pantry. If you don’t, they can easily be found at your local grocery store. Here is everything you’ll need:
- Oil. To fry the nuggets. Choose oil that has a high smoke point like peanut oil or vegetable oil.
- Flour. White flour is preferred, but wholewheat works, too.
- Baking powder.
- Egg. Acts as a binding agent.
- Shortening. A much better alternative to butter or margarine for deep frying.
- Sweet corn. Either canned or fresh corn works.
How to make corn nuggets?
Making nuggets from corn is super simple. You’ll just have to mix and deep fry the batter! It literally takes 5 minutes. Here is how to make this recipe:
Preheat the oil
Start by heating the oil in a skillet or deep fryer to 365 F or 185 C.
Next, make the batter by combining flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the egg, milk, and melted shortening until a smooth mixture forms. Add egg mixture to the flour batter. Finally, add corn and stir the mix well.
Cook the nuggets
Now, add spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil. Cook both sides until a golden texture appears.
Ready to serve!
Now, take out the cooked nuggets with a slotted spoon and place them on paper towels to drain excess oil before serving.
How long do you deep fry them?
To get a crispy outside and moist inside, deep fry these nuggets for 10-12 minutes at high heat or until golden brown. Flip side after 7-8 minutes to cook both sides evenly.
Can you make sweet corn nuggets in the oven?
You can make these in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake these for 11-12 minutes or until they become golden brown to dish out and serve. If you don’t want the corn to pop up and enjoy the best flavor, you should deep-fry these crunchy snacks.
Here are best practices for corn nugget storage:
To Store: Put cooked nuggets in an air-tight container to store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To Freeze: Place leftovers in a ziplock bag and store in the freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheating: You can reheat corn nuggets in the oven, air fryer, or skillet, Do not microwave them or else they will be soggy.
What to serve with corn fritters?
These nuggets are so versatile, you can serve them with almost anything or keep them simple with your favorite dipping sauce:
- With a sauce like bbq sauce, sugar free ketchup, potsticker sauce, or a fry sauce.
- All kinds of potatoes. These include mashed potatoes, French fries, or a potato salad.
- With simply cooked protein like air fryer chicken breast, salmon, steak, or pork chops.
- Over a salad like coleslaw, spinach salad, or a broccoli salad.
FAQS about this corn nugget recipe
No, corn nuggets aren’t hush puppies. Although both are deep-fried, the batter is completely different for both recipes.
This recipe originated in South America as popular street food. Since then, it has gained more popularity throughout the world and is a popular snack everywhere.
Corn fritter has corn kernels in batter, while hush puppy batter is made from cornbread. So, the only common element is corn, but it’s used differently.
Easy Corn Nuggets Recipe | 5 minutes only
- Heat oil in a heavy pot or deep fryer to until it reaches a temperature of 185C/365F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and shortening. Combine the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Fold through the corn.
- Drop the nugget batter by spoonfuls into the hot oil. Fry until golden, around 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the nuggets from the oil and place them on a paper towel to drain. Serve immediately.