Creamy and decadent, this homemade Big Mac sauce is the recreation of one of McDonald’s signature condiments. Made with simple ingredients, it tastes exactly the same!
If you’ve made healthy burgers or turkey burgers, you’ll be familiar with Big Mac sauce. Also known as burger sauce, it’s the reason these burgers taste so darn delicious, and it’s so easy to make.
Why this recipe works
- Ready in seconds. All you do is add everything into a bowl, mix together, and enjoy.
- Tastes like McDonald’s. Even die-hard fans can’t taste the difference between this homemade version and the classic from the golden arches!
- Easy to customize. If you love some spice or want the sauce a little sweeter, you can adjust it to suit your taste buds.
What is the Big Mac sauce made of?
You don’t need any special ingredients to make this recipe. Here is what you’ll need:
- Mayonnaise. Mayonnaise provides a creamy base. You can also use a homemade mayo.
- Pickle relish. A key ingredient in the burger sauce. It adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the sauce and creates a nice texture. If you don’t like sweet pickle relish, use dill pickle relish or gherkin relish instead.
- White vinegar. A small amount of white vinegar added to the sauce will brighten up all flavors and make them come together nicely. I prefer using white vinegar for a more delicate flavor.
- Mustard. Mustard is another key ingredient that you shouldn’t skip out on. Use yellow mustard as it is perfectly creamy and relatively mild.
- Smoked paprika. A little smokiness is what you need to bring all the tart, tangy, sweet, and savory flavors together.
How to make it
Like any good sauce recipe, all you do is mix everything together and use it immediately. It comes together in seconds, so don’t even think about buying the pre-made kind. Here is what you’ll need:
Step 1- Combine all ingredients
Add all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until fully combined.
Step 2- Serve or store for later use
Transfer the sauce into a serving dish or store it in the fridge for later use. Don’t leave the sauce at room temperature for longer than two hours.
- To store: Leftover sauce can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to two weeks.
- To freeze: Place the sauce in a shallow container or glass jar and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
Ways to use Big Mac Sauce
- Fries. Boring, but pretty much perfect. Sweet potato fries, tater tots, and even potato wedges are great options.
- Salads. Thin out some sauce with some milk or water and drizzle over your favorite salad as an easy salad dressing.
- Sandwiches and wraps. Swap out the mayo and/or mustard in your everyday sandwich with this.
- Veggies. Sliced vegetables or crudites dipped in this sauce make a healthy appetizer.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the Big Mac sauce is not the same as thousand island dressing. It is thicker, creamier, and less tangy.
At this stage, McDonald’s have not released any of their sauces for purchase.
There are 40 calories in each two tablespoons serving of burger sauce.
Big Mac Sauce | Copycat McDonald’s Recipe
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the ingredients until combined.
- Transfer the sauce into a serving dish and use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.