Creamy and decadent, this homemade Big Mac sauce is the recreation of one of McDonald’s signature condiments. Made with simple ingredients, it tastes BETTER than the original.
Everyone knows the best part of the Big Mac burger is the creamy and dreamy sauce. It’s so good that we used to ask for it on the side as a dipping sauce.
As the classic Big Mac is a family favorite, it’s a no-brainer to make the signature element, the sauce, at home. This homemade Big Mac sauce recipe is so good you’ll add it to everything!
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- It’s ready in seconds. All you do is add everything into a bowl, mix it together, and enjoy.
- Tastes like McDonald’s. Even die-hard fans can’t taste the difference between this homemade version and the classic from the Golden Arches!
- Easy to customize. If you love some spice or want the sauce a little sweeter, you can adjust it to suit your taste buds.
- Better ingredients. Let’s face it: McDonald’s isn’t known to use the best ingredients in their food, and the sauce is no exception. In our homemade version, we use just FIVE ingredients.
What is Big Mac sauce?
Also known as the ‘Secret Sauce’, Big Mac sauce is made up of mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, and Thousand Island dressing, This sauce is the signature sweet and tangy element in the iconic Big Mac Burgers from McDonald’s.
Homemade McDonald’s Big Mac sauce is so easy to make and as we mentioned earlier, needs 5 pantry staples to whip up. Here is what you’ll need:
- Mayonnaise. Mayonnaise provides a creamy base. I recommend using a full-fat yolk-based mayo as this has the best flavor and thicker texture.
- Pickle relish. A key ingredient in the burger sauce. It adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the sauce and creates a nice texture. If you don’t like sweet pickle relish, use dill pickle relish or gherkin relish instead.
- Vinegar. Adding a small amount of vinegar to the sauce will brighten up all flavors and make them come together nicely. I prefer using white vinegar for a more delicate flavor.
- Mustard. You’ve got the sweet, you’ve got the creaminess, and now you need the tartness. Stick with mild or American mustard.
- Smoked paprika. A little smokiness is what you need to bring all the tart, tangy, sweet, and savory flavors together.
How to make Big Mac sauce
Copycat Big Mac sauce tastes EVEN better than the kind you get at McDonald’s. Ready to whip some up?
- Combine: Add all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Adjust: Taste the sauce and add more mustard of it’s too sweet or more relish if it’s too tangy.
- Serve: Transfer the sauce to a serving dish or store it in the fridge for later use.
How to use this sauce
Serving McDonald’s special sauce on burgers alone isn’t the only way to use this. Here are some ideas:
Salad dressing: Make our favorite Big Mac Salad and thin out this sauce with 1-2 tablespoons of water or milk. Toss it through the salad and drizzle over the top.
Sandwich spread: Thanks to the mayonnaise in it, you can swap out the layer of mayo in your sandwiches with this sauce for something sweet and tangy. Try it in a sandwich with grilled chicken or roast beef. You can also balance out the spice in a spicy chicken sandwich with it too.
To store: Leftover sauce can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to two weeks.
To freeze: Place the sauce in a shallow container or glass jar and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
More delicious sauces you’ll enjoy
Frequently Asked Questions
While similar, the main difference between these two is that Thousand Island dressing contains ketchup and diced onions, whereas the Big Mac sauce doesn’t.
At this stage, McDonald’s has not released any of their sauces for purchase.
There are 40 calories in each two-tablespoon serving of burger sauce.
Big Mac Sauce (McDonald’s Copycat)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the ingredients until combined.
- Transfer the sauce into a serving dish and use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.