This spicy chicken sandwich is quick and easy to make, and has the most delicious crispy breading! Better than McDonald’s, it comes together in minutes!
Out of Popeye’s, KFC, and Chick-fil-A, McDonald’s version is the tastiest and now, you can make it yourself!
Why this recipe works
- Better than the original. Our version has the best flavor and texture and uses good-quality ingredients.
- Make it as spicy as you like. You can adjust the level of heat of these chicken sandwiches to your preference. You can make them mildly spicy or scorching hot – the choice is yours!
- Perfect for lunch and dinner. Depending on what you serve with these sandwiches, they can be enjoyed for lunch and dinner.
- Cheaper than store-bought. A fast food spicy chicken sandwich retails at around $9 each, but making them at home costs a fraction of that.
Can we lament about how perfect the chicken is? It’s crispy on the outside and perfectly juicy and moist in the middle. A secret trick guarantees the chicken stays this crispy the entire time, so you can make extra to enjoy as leftovers.
This recipe calls for very simple ingredients that you’ll likely already have on hand. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts. Skinless and boneless, halved.
- Flour. To coat the chicken before dipping it in the egg mixture.
- Buttermilk. Being slightly acidic, buttermilk makes light and fluffy batter.
- Sriracha. To add spiciness to the batter. It is easy to add sriracha to the batter and control the level of heat too.
- Eggs. To give stability to the batter and make the dry mix stick to the fillets nicely.
- Spices. I use chili powder and pepper in the dry mix for the fillets.
- Salt. To taste.
- Rolls. Use potato rolls for the ultimate best McDonald’s copycat spicy chicken sandwich.
- Lettuce. To add texture and freshness.
- Sauce. For added flavor and juiciness.
- Mayonnaise. Use any mayonnaise you prefer. Homemade mayo will work too.
- Other add-ins to taste. Use all your favorite burger add-ins – pickles, onion rings, caramelized onions, tomatoes, etc.
How to make a spicy chicken sandwich
Batter, fry, serve! Making these McDonald’s copycat spicy sandwiches couldn’t be easier. Here are detailed instructions for making these spicy chicken sandwiches.
Step 1- Prepare the batter and the dry mix
In one bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, chili powder, and pepper. In another bowl, add buttermilk and sriracha to the whisked eggs and mix until fully combined.
Step 2- Season the chicken
Dip the chicken fillets in the dry mix first, then in the buttermilk mixture, then once again in the dry mix. Do this with all the chicken fillets.
Step 3- Fry the chicken
Heat an inch of oil in a deep frying pan. Put the chicken fillets into the hot oil using a pair of tongs and cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is golden brown on both sides. Once cooked, remove the chicken fillets from the oil and put them on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess moisture.
Step 4- Assemble the sandwiches
Assemble the spicy chicken sandwiches by adding them to the potato rolls along with the fillings and sauces of your choice.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use homemade potato rolls. Making potato rolls yourself takes time and effort. But the result is certainly worth it. These McDonald’s copycat spicy chicken sandwiches will taste so much better with fresh homemade rolls.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. Putting too many chicken fillets in the hot oil at one time causes the temperature of the oil to drop. As a result, the chicken absorbs too much oil and takes longer to get crispy.
- Add cornstarch to the fry mix for extra crispiness. Mixing some cornstarch with the flour for the dry mix yields a crispier coating.
The beauty of this sandwich recipe is just how easy it is to customize to suit your tastebuds and/or dietary preferences. Here are some ideas:
- Use cabbage instead of lettuce. If you want to add more crunch to your spicy burger, use shredded cabbage instead of lettuce.
- Play around with the sauces. You don’t have to stick to mayonnaise and ketchup for this sandwich. You can use any sauce you like, including mustard-based sauces and even big mac sauce.
- Make it gluten-free. Use gluten-free flour in the breading and serve it with gluten-free bread or buns.
- Make it a salad. Instead of assembling everything in bread, add the chicken to your favorite salad (we love a green goddess salad or coleslaw).
- Cut the carbs. For a lower-carb sandwich, use some low carb rolls or buns.
I don’t recommend storing the assembled sandwiches or making them ahead of time. They taste best when made fresh. However, spicy chicken can be made in advance.
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the chicken in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
- Reheating: Either reheat in a non-stick pan or the oven. Avoid using the microwave as the chicken will lose its crispiness.
More sandwich recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Some of the best side dishes to serve with a crispy chicken sandwich are fries, onion rings, and coleslaw. You can also serve a bowl of fresh salad with your sandwich if you feel like having something light and healthy with it.
Yes, McDonald’s spicy chicken sandwich is real chicken. McDonald’s uses chicken breast fillets with rib meat to make their sandwiches.
Spicy Chicken Sandwich (EASY Fast Food Copycat!)
- 2 large chicken breasts halved
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2 large eggs whisked
- 4 soft rolls or brioche buns
- 1/2 cup lettuce shredded
- 1/4 cup pickles
- 1 large tomato sliced
- 1/4 cup big mac sauce
- Whisk flour, chili powder, salt, and pepper in one bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, sriracha, and eggs.
- Dip one piece of the chicken in the flour mix and shake off any excess. Dip it in the spicy buttermilk mix, then once again in the dry mix. Repeat the process until all the chicken is seasoned.
- Add an inch of oil to a deep pan. Once hot, cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once golden brown, remove them from the oil and place them on a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Once cooked, assemble the sandwiches by adding them into a roll with sauce and fillings of choice.