This katsu sauce has a sweet and tangy flavor and needs just 4 ingredients to prepare. Ready in minutes, it tastes like authentic Japanese dipping sauce!
If you’ve made our chicken katsu, pork katsu, and beef katsu before, you’ll know what is the secret ingredient for all of them- this seriously addictive katsu sauce.
It’s so easy and so good, you’ll think it was from a restaurant!
What is katsu sauce?
Katsu sauce, also known as tonkatsu sauce, is a Japanese sauce and condiment. It is used with many types of fried chicken, like karaage (Japanese fried chicken) and katsu don (deep-fried chicken or egg over rice).
It’s like Worcestershire sauce, but much more flavorful and personally, much more delicious!
Why this katsu sauce recipe is so much better than store-bought:
- Quick and easy. This recipe comes together in under a minute and doesn’t require any cooking at all.
- Just 4 ingredients. Simple and easy-to-find ingredients you’d probably already have in your pantry.
- Versatile. Pair it with any of your favorite fried food, fries, or bread rolls; not just fried chicken or pork.
What I love about this recipe is just how versatile it is! Similar to our eel sauce, we’ve often used it as a dipping sauce for sweet potato fries and have even known to add it to our sandwiches for a delicious umami hit.
If you’ve made any of our Japanese recipes before, you’d no doubt have everything on hand. Here is what you’ll need:
- Ketchup. Makes the sauce sweet and tangy; you can also use tomato sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce. Adds a strong and smoky flavor to make the taste similar to store-bought katsu sauce.
- Powdered sugar. Dissolves much easier than granulated sugar.
- Soy sauce. Japanese soy sauce is recommended, but you can also use regular soy sauce.
How to make katsu sauce?
Don’t like the additives in store-bought katsu sauce? Fret not; as you can follow the simple steps below to make your own katsu sauce at home.
Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Either serve immediately or store away to use later.
What does katsu sauce taste like?
Katsu sauce has a tangy, umami taste. It’s slightly spicy but not overly so, because sugar balances the spice level. However, if you like your sauce when it’s spicy, you can add red pepper powder or flakes.
To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to four weeks.
To freeze: Place the sauce in a glass or airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Ways to use this sauce
Did you know katsu sauce works as a fabulous marinade? Try it on one of these air fryer proteins and transform them completely:
Frequently Asked Questions
You can buy it from specialty Japanese grocery stores or online.
When made with a gluten-free soy sauce or tamari, this recipe will be suitable for celiacs.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Katsu Sauce recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Katsu Sauce With 4 Ingredients
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients until combined.
- Use immediately or keep at room temperature for 3-4 hours before using.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.