This pan seared salmon is tender salmon fillets coated in an Asian inspired sauce. A quick and easy low carb dinner option that takes less than 20 minutes to make! 1 gram net carbs per serving.
When it comes to a delicious low carb dinner that takes minimal prep, I always turn to salmon. It can be dressed up or dressed down, and rarely needs any time to marinate. This pan seared salmon takes minutes to cook, and you only need 5 ingredients.
Salmon is a heart healthy protein, rich in omega 34 fatty acids, and packed with B vitamins. It’s also extremely delicious, and when cooked correctly, has the most incredible texture.
How do you make pan seared salmon
- Salmon fillets– You can use either skinless salmon fillets or salmon with their skin on. I find skin on salmon easier to sear, as the skin side can be placed on the hot pan.
- Ginger– Sliced and grated ginger, to really bring out the flavor. If you don’t have fresh ginger, you can use minced ginger from a jar.
- Soy sauce– Gluten free soy sauce or even liquid aminos. This gives both flavor and the gorgeous sear on the salmon.
- Sesame oil– Adds a delicious flavor. The sesame oil will be used for the marinade.
- Coconut oil– To sear the salmon. We don’t want to use all sesame oil, as it can be quite overpowering.
- Salt and pepper– To taste!
Start by whisking together your ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, until combined. Add your salmon fillets to it and cover on both sides, until completely covered. Place your coconut oil in a non-stick pan and heat on medium. When hot, add your salmon fillets, skin side down. Fry for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to crisp around the sides. Flip the salmon and sauteed for a further 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and let sit for 1 minute, covered. Serve immediately.
Can I use frozen salmon fillets?
Yes, if you’d like to use frozen salmon fillets, you may use them. However, they must be thawed and chilled. If there is any ice or portions of it are still frozen, you’ll find the salmon will not cook evenly.
Can I use an air fryer?
Yes! If you have an air fryer, you can skip the pan frying and use that instead.
No preheating is necessary. Simply place your marinated salmon, skin side down, on the air frying rack. Place in the air fryer and cook for 8-10 minutes at 200C, checking up halfway through.
Tips for pan seared salmon
- Do not over-fry the salmon. You want the center to be ‘just’ cooked, so the salmon flakes when touched with a fork.
- No marination is needed for the salmon. The combination of sesame oil and coconut oil retains much of the flavor when fried.
- Your pan must be searing hot, to ensure the heat hits the salmon from the get-go and cooks in the least amount of time while retaining the most flavor.
- Avoid using all sesame oil for this salmon. The sesame oil is for the marinade only, and not to sautee the salmon with. If you don’t want to use coconut oil, use another neutral flavored oil.
What to serve with pan fried salmon
- Cauliflower fried rice– Make it a comforting and filling keto dinner by pairing the salmon with this cauliflower rice. You can prepare this while the salmon is cooking!
- Buffalo cauliflower bites– Perfect for the little ones to enjoy veggies with their salmon, this baked cauliflower is a fantastic substitute for fries or chips and tastes delicious with the salmon.
- Broccoli Salad– For a lunch or lighter dinner, especially during summer.
- Greek Couscous salad– For a fancier take on Salmon and salad!
Storing Pan Seared Salmon
Leftover seared salmon can be stored in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for 30-40 seconds, or stovetop, using a non-stick pan.
Do not freeze leftover salmon.
More Easy Keto Dinner Recipes
Pan Seared Salmon
- In a small mixing bowl, add your grated ginger, soy sauce, and sesame oil and mix well. Add your salmon fillets and coat each side in the sauce.
- Heat a large, non-stick pan with coconut oil. When hot, add your salmon fillet, skin side down. Sauteed for 5 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the salmon from the pan and let sit for 1 minute, before serving.