This keto alfredo sauce is a simple white sauce made with just 4 ingredients! Versatile and perfect on all kinds of dishes, it’s low in carbs but full of flavor! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Keto Alfredo Sauce
Every weekend, I put time aside to prepare a few basics to have plenty of dinner options throughout the week. Instead of making actual meals or dishes, I prefer making sauces to use on various proteins or entrees. I tend to go on sauce kicks and right now, I am obsessed with all things alfredo sauce.
What is alfredo sauce?
Alfredo sauce is a simple white cream-based sauce that is used in a plethora of pasta dishes. It uses simple ingredients and can be as cheesy or creamy as you want it to be! Traditional alfredo sauce often needs flour or starch to thicken it. Unfortunately, those versions aren’t keto friendly. Luckily, with a few changes, it can easily be made low carb!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto alfredo sauce recipe for quite some time. It uses just 4 main ingredients and can be added over meat, seafood, low carb pasta, and even low carb bread! Now, this alfredo sauce may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, it is so easy to make!
No sugar and no flour are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is smooth, slightly thick, and extremely creamy. It’s rich and slightly cheesy, and can easily be adapted to be flavored with a variety of spices and herbs!
I had some friends over for a low carb Italian dinner and served this sauce over pasta and chicken and NO ONE believed me when I told them it was low carb- They were VERY impressed!
How do you make a keto alfredo sauce?
- Butter– Unsalted butter. Use a very good quality butter, as the flavor really shines through.
- Heavy cream– Also known as thickened cream or double cream. Avoid using reduced fat or low fat varieties, as it will yield a more watery sauce.
- Parmesan cheese– Freshly grated or refrigerated parmesan cheese. Do not use the shelf stable variety, as it won’t melt and it will leave the sauce gritty.
- Garlic– Freshly minced garlic.
Start by adding the butter into a small saucepan and placing it over low heat. Once melted, add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Gently stir through the heavy cream, and slowly mix, until it begins to simmer. Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes, allowing it to thicken. Remove from the heat and fold in the parmesan cheese. Let the cheese melt into the sauce, before serving it over your favorite entree or main course.
Tips to make the best low carb alfredo sauce
- Keep the pan over low heat, as we don’t want any part of the sauce to burn.
- You must use parmesan cheese, NOT other shredded cheeses. The former will not cause the sauce to be stringy or chunky.
- For a thicker alfredo sauce, you can double the amount of parmesan cheese.
Storing and freezing alfredo sauce
- To store: Alfredo sauce will keep well stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep it in a sealable container and reheat it in the microwave or stovetop.
- To freeze: Place the leftover sauce in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What to serve alfredo sauce with
Keto Alfredo Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- In a small saucepan, add the butter and place it over low heat. Once it has melted, add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer, stirring gently. Once it begins to simmer, let it do so for 5 minutes, before removing from the heat.
- Fold through the parmesan cheese and let sit for 5 minutes, to melt into the sauce. Whisk gently to ensure there are no clumps and serve over pasta, chicken, fish, or vegetables.