This keto alfredo sauce is a simple white sauce made with just 4 ingredients! Versatile and perfect on all kinds of dishes, it’s low in carbs but full of flavor!
What is alfredo sauce?
Alfredo sauce is a simple white cream-based sauce that is used in a plethora of pasta dishes. It uses simple ingredients and can be as cheesy or creamy as you want it to be! Traditional alfredo sauce often needs flour or starch to thicken it, including the jarred variety. Luckily, making a homemade low carb version is so simple.
Why you’ll love this keto alfredo sauce recipe
- 4 Ingredients. Butter, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and garlic. That is it.
- Ready in just 10 minutes. This is the sauce you can whip up with your pantry staple ingredients.
- Versatile for tons of dishes. The obvious choices are keto pasta or gnocchi, but you can serve it over vegetables or even on meat (we love it on a pork chop).
- Rich and creamy. It ticks all the boxes in terms of texture and flavor.
How to make a keto alfredo sauce
- Butter- Unsalted butter. Use a very good quality butter, as the flavor really shines through.
- Heavy cream- Also known as thickened cream or double cream. Avoid using reduced fat or low fat varieties, as it will yield a more watery sauce.
- Parmesan cheese- Freshly grated or refrigerated parmesan cheese. Do not use the shelf stable variety, as it won’t melt and it will leave the sauce gritty.
- Garlic- Freshly minced garlic.
Start by adding the butter into a small saucepan and placing it over low heat. Once melted, add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Gently stir through the heavy cream, and slowly mix, until it simmers.
Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes, allowing it to thicken. Remove from the heat and fold in the parmesan cheese. Let the cheese melt into the sauce before serving it over your favorite entrée or main course.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Alfredo sauce will keep well stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Keep it in a sealable container and reheat it in the microwave or stovetop.
- To freeze: Place the leftover sauce in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
What to serve with alfredo sauce
While traditional pasta and noodles are out of the question, there are tons of keto options that taste just as good, if not better.
- Low carb pasta– Store bought keto pasta, like penne or shirataki noodles. You can also try homemade kinds like almond flour pasta, keto pasta, or keto gnocchi.
- Vegetable noodles- Zucchini noodles (zoodles), butternut squash noodles, or even spaghetti squash.
- Steamed vegetables– Low carb vegetables like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, or asparagus.
- Grilled meat– baked chicken thighs, grilled chicken breasts, or steak.
- Seafood– baked salmon, Chilean sea bass, and haddock.
More keto sauces to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Traditional alfredo sauce is not keto friendly, as it uses high carb thickeners and fillers.
This keto alfredo sauce recipe has less than 2 grams net carbs per serving.
The lowest carb store bought alfredo sauce has 7 grams of carbs per serving. While not overly high in carbs, there are better alternatives when in ketosis.
Keto Alfredo Sauce Recipe (4 Ingredients!)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- In a small saucepan, add the butter and place it over low heat. Once it has melted, add the minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer, stirring gently. Once it begins to simmer, let it do so for 5 minutes, before removing from the heat.
- Fold through the parmesan cheese and let sit for 5 minutes, to melt into the sauce. Whisk gently to ensure there are no clumps and serve over pasta, chicken, fish, or vegetables.