This keto pasta is a low carb alternative to traditional pasta noodles! Made with just 2 ingredients, they are chewy, cheesy, and perfect to top with your favorite sauces! 1 gram net carbs per serving.
Growing up, my mom would make pasta at least once a week. It was her favorite quick and easy meal to throw together, and one both my sister and I enjoyed. There’s something especially comforting about a big bowl of pasta with either a tomato based or cream based sauce. When I first moved out of home, pasta was the first dish I ever learned to cook and as I moved my way through university and into the workforce, it remained part of my weekly meal prep.
Since starting a keto diet, I’ve tried out nearly EVERY low carb pasta alternative at the grocery stores. Unfortunately, they are NOTHING like what you’d expect pasta to be. Most use something called ‘konjac’ and the texture is not even comparable to pasta. Others use vegetables like zucchini and sweet potato, and while delicious, they are no good substitute at all. Luckily, you can easily make a homemade version using just cheese and eggs!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto pasta recipe for quite some time. It’s been my go-to whenever I crave pasta. As it is a little time consuming to make, I don’t make it very often, but it ALWAYS hits the spots.
Now, I want to make some things clear. This is NOT your Italian style pasta made with flour and wheat. If you are familiar with a keto diet, there are no grains allowed. However, this zero carb pasta is a fabulous alternative for when you are craving a massive bowl of spaghetti or noodles…minus the carbs.
No grains and no flour are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is soft, slightly chewy, and light. The flavor is mellow and rich, and is the perfect vehicle for your favorite low carb pasta sauces.
I had some friends over for an Italian dinner and I served two of them this recipe and they were THRILLED to have a keto alternative to their favorite Italian comfort food.
How do you make low carb pasta?
- Egg yolk– The yolk gives the pasta stability, and easier to cut into noodles.
- Mozzarella cheese– Finely shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese. Avoid using other kinds of cheese, or your noodles will be like wet cheese.
Start by melting your mozzarella cheese. Once melted, let the cheese cool for 1-2 minutes. Next, whisk your egg yolks into the cheese mixture until combined. Form a rough ball of ‘dough’ and place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place the ball of ‘dough’ on top of it, and place another piece of parchment paper on top of that. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until thin.
Now, refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes, to firm up. Once chilled, use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into thin strips. Place the pasta back in the refrigerator overnight, to firm up.
The next day, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the noodles into it, and string slowly and carefully, mix together for 30 seconds. Drain the pasta and run under cool water, before transferring onto a plate and adding your favorite pasta sauce.
Tips to make the best keto noodles
- Use more boiling water than you’d use for traditional pasta or spaghetti. This ensures these ones don’t stick together and clump up.
- Drop the noodles into the water and mix slowly and carefully for 30 seconds. After that, cook your noodles to your desired texture. I prefer slightly al dente pasta, so only cooked mine for around 30 seconds.
- You must rinse your pasta after cooking with cold water. This does not cool down the pasta, but rather helps them avoid sticking together.
- Ensure whichever pasta sauce you are using is already warm once the pasta is cooked. The more time the cooked pasta has to sit, the wetter it will become.
Storing and freezing keto pasta noodles
- To store: Pasta can keep in their uncooked state for up to 1 week. Lightly cover it in plastic wrap to ensure it doesn’t dry out.
- To freeze: Place chilled noodles in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 1 month. Be sure to thaw it completely, before reslicing if needed.
More vegetarian keto recipes to try
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Keto Pasta recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Keto Pasta (2 Ingredients!)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 large egg yolks room temperature
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your mozzarella cheese until melted. Let it cool for 2 minutes. Whisk in your egg yolks and form the mixture into a ball of dough.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper and transfer the ball of dough onto it. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until thin. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Using a pizza slicer, cut thin strips of dough. Refrigerate overnight.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the noodles and gently stir for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and drain the water. Run under water before transferring to bowls and top with your favorite low carb pasta toppings.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.