Fathead pizza dough is a low carb and keto dough that is perfect to use for pizzas and other bread recipes! Made with just 4 ingredients, the fathead pizza crust is perfect to satisfy all pizza cravings. 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Giving up pizza while on a keto diet is something I was NOT willing to do. If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life, it would have to be pizza. Luckily, my cravings are satisfied with this fathead pizza dough recipe.
While I do have a keto pizza crust recipe, it’s better used for tortilla pizzas or similar.
This keto fathead pizza crust though will satisfy ALL your pizza cravings. I made this for a game night recently, and NO ONE could tell it wasn’t a traditional flour-based pizza.
What is fathead dough?
Fathead pizza dough is a famous low carb and keto friendly dough made with shredded mozzarella and almond flour. When combined and gently kneaded, forms a durable dough.
I call this a magic keto dough because it is SO durable. It can be used to make a plethora of bread and baked goods, like bagels, pretzels, and even a pastry dough!
What does fathead dough taste like?
If you are worried that your fathead dough will taste cheesy, nutty, or nothing like a pizza crust, you’ll be pleasantly surprised. There is NO strong almond flavor at all, and the cheese isn’t evident at all in the crust.
It reminds me of a classic pizza crust from either Dominos or Pizza Hut! Seriously, try it out on your friends and family and see if they can tell the difference.
How do you make a fathead pizza crust
- Almond flour– You want to use blanched almond flour, for the lighter color and crispier edges once baked. You can use almond meal, but the dough will be darker and a little denser.
- Mozzarella cheese– Shredded mozzarella cheese, not from a block. Other shredded cheeses aren’t recommended, as they don’t have the sturdiness. Also, mozzarella cheese has a very mild flavor and you don’t want the crust to detract from the toppings.
- Greek Yogurt– I used Greek yogurt as it is thick, but any plain yogurt will work. You can also use sour cream or cream cheese (as most fathead dough recipes call for).
- Egg– To bind everything together! Be sure the egg is at room temperature.
Start by placing your almond flour into a large mixing bowl. Next, microwave your mozzarella cheese with Greek yogurt, until the cheese has melted. Moving quickly, add the melted cheese mixture into the almond flour, along with the egg, and mix very well, until completely combined. Using your hands, knead the dough until smooth. Form a ball of dough and transfer to a flat surface, lined with parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper over it and roll it out, until desired thickness. Place on a baking sheet or pizza tray, top with toppings of choice and bake for 12 minutes.
Tips to make the best fathead pizza crust
- You don’t want to roll out the pizza dough too thin, otherwise the crust will turn golden brown around the edges before the pizza toppings are cooked.
- When rolling out the dough, place a layer of parchment paper on top. This makes rolling the dough so much easier and avoids any of it sticking to the rolling pin.
- Don’t be afraid to add plenty of cheese as a topping. Even though there is cheese in the dough, the flavor is extremely mild, and not noticeable at all.
How long does fathead dough keep?
You can prepare the dough up to 5 days in advance and keep it refrigerated. Once ready to use, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour, or until durable enough to roll out.
If you’d like to freeze the uncooked dough, wrap the ball of dough several times in plastic wrap. Keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. Once ready to use, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator completely, before letting it sit at room temperature for around 30 minutes, before rolling out.
Storing and Freezing Fathead Pizza
Treat leftover pizza as you would with any other kind of pizza when it comes to storing leftovers.
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.
- To freeze: Place leftover slices in a ziplock bag or covered with aluminum foil. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Fun Keto Recipes to try
Fathead Pizza Crust
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your almond flour and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, combine your shredded cheese and yogurt and microwave until the cheese has melted. Whisk well until combined.
- Add the melted cheese mixture into the almond flour. Add the egg and mix well until combined. Using your hands, knead the dough until smooth. Form a ball of dough.
- Place a piece of parchment onto a kitchen surface. Place the ball of dough onto the parchment paper and place another piece of parchment paper on top. Roll out the dough into a circular shape, around 10 inches in length, both ways.
- Transfer the pizza crust onto a baking sheet. Top with toppings of choice and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the toppings have cooked and cheese has melted.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.