This chicken crust pizza recipe is made with just three ingredients and is perfect for a simple low carb dinner that cooks in just 15 minutes.
I love using alternative ingredients to make a pizza crust.
Table of Contents
What is a chicken pizza crust?
Even those who don’t follow a low carb diet find this pizza making their dinnertime staples. Here are some reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
- It needs just 3 ingredients. The crust needs just ground chicken, mozzarella cheese, and spices! As for the toppings, you can jazz it up any way you like.
- Ready in 15 minutes. Compare that to a classic pizza, which would take four times as long.
- Easy to customize. Switch up the meat in the crust, the toppings, and the sauce!
- Tastes like pizza. What I love about this dish is that it doesn’t taste like chicken. The beauty of ground chicken is that it is very mild tasting. It tastes like a thick, cheesy crust when mixed with spices and cheese!
What is chicken crust made of?
Besides ground chicken breast, seasonings, and cheese, there isn’t much else that is needed.
- Ground chicken. As the chicken is mixed with cheese, leaner cuts can be used. I used 90/10 ground chicken, which has a 10% fat content. You can use a higher-fat cut of chicken but be sure to mop up excess liquid.
- Italian seasoning. My favorite seasoning blend that uses the right combo of spices.
- Olive oil. Or any oil to cook up the ground chicken.
- Cheddar cheese. Freshly grated cheddar cheese. This cheese is in addition to the topping.
- Pizza sauce. Skip the sugar-laden store-bought kind and make your own. I like using my own pomodoro sauce or sugo, which are both lower in sugar if that is something you are looking for, too.
- Pizza toppings. I used bell peppers, mushrooms, and pepperoni. Use your favorite pizza toppings.
- Mozzarella cheese. I like topping anything pizza-like with a two-cheese blend, like a mix of mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and Jack cheese.
How to make a chicken crust pizza
What I love about this recipe is that everything is baked in the one pan so clean up isa breeze!
- Make the crust. Start by adding the oil to a non-stick pan. Once hot, add the ground chicken and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the Italian seasonings and mozzarella cheese.
- Shape into a pizza. Using slightly wet hands, shape the chicken mixture into a ball. Transfer it onto a pizza stone or baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Par-bake the crust. Bake the pizza for 3-4 minutes until golden on top to ensure the crust is firm and durable.
- Add toppings and bake. Remove the pizza from the oven and spread a thin layer of pizza sauce, then your favorite toppings. Sprinkle cheese over everything. Bake everything for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
Canned chicken pizza
While ground chicken is best for a chicken crust pizza, you can also use canned and shredded chicken. As this kind of chicken isn’t as pliable as the ground kind, you need to add 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise to help bind it with the cheese.
- Canned chicken– Choose chicken canned in water (NO flavorings!) and remove all excess liquid.
- Shredded chicken– Either shred baked or air fried chicken breast fillets.
Regardless of which you choose, make sure the batter is thick and pliable.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use ground chicken breast: Opt for ground chicken breast instead of dark meat for a healthier and lower-fat crust. It also will hold the pizza much better.
- Season well: Chicken can be bland, so season your chicken crust well. Add your favorite herbs and spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and basil.
- Use a non-stick surface: To prevent sticking, use a non-stick surface like parchment paper or a silicone baking mat when shaping your crust.
- Pre-bake the crust: It is important to par-bake before adding toppings to ensure it remains crisp and sturdy throughout.
- Use other ground meat: I sometimes use ground turkey if I have that on hand or even ground beef.
To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled pizza in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
Reheating: Microwave slices of the pizza for 30-40 seconds or reheat in a preheated oven until warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are ZERO carbs in the ground chicken pizza crust. Ground chicken and mozzarella cheese have no carbs/trace carbs. The carbs come from the vegetables and sauce added to it.
You can pre-make and pre-cook the crust, then freeze them until you are ready to make the pizza.
Yes, chicken crust pizza is naturally gluten-free if you don’t add any gluten-containing ingredients to the crust or toppings.
The chicken crust should be cooked until golden brown and crispy on the edges. The internal temperature should be at least 165°F (74°C) to ensure it’s fully cooked and safe to eat.
You can make a chicken crust pizza without cheese if you’re lactose intolerant or avoiding dairy. Simply skip the cheese and add more toppings instead.
More low carb ways to enjoy pizza
Chicken Crust Pizza (3 Ingredients!)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a non-stick pan, add the oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, and the ground chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Remove the pan off the heat and stir through the Italian seasonings and cheddar cheese until combined. Shape the mixture into a ball.
- Transfer the ball of chicken onto the lined sheet and press down into a large pizza shape. Pre-bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spread the pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese.
- Bake the chicken crust pizza for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and slice and serve.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.