This chicken crust pizza recipe is made with just three ingredients and is perfect for a simple low carb dinner that cooks in just 15 minutes.
We love using alternative ingredients to make a pizza crust.
Sure, we love the real thing but when we are watching our carbs or wanting something a little healthier, our vehicles of choice are a cauliflower, eggplant, or ground chicken crust.
Table of Contents
What is a chicken pizza crust?
As the name suggests, a chicken pizza crust has a base made up of ground chicken instead of a traditional flour-based one (the same chicken we use for meatballs and sausage!).
Similar to our crustless pizza or pizza bowl, It’s popular amongst keto dieters because it has zero carbs, tons of protein, and looks like a pizza.
Even those who don’t follow a low carb diet find this pizza making their dinnertime staples.
- It needs just 3 ingredients. The crust needs just ground chicken, mozzarella cheese, and spices!
- Ready in 15 minutes. Compare that to a classic pizza which would take four times as long.
- Easy to customize. Switch up the meat in the crust, the toppings, and sauce!
- Tastes like pizza. What I love about this dish is that it doesn’t taste like chicken! The beauty of ground chicken is that it is very mild tasting. It tastes like a thick, cheesy crust when mixed with spices and cheese!
What is chicken crust made of?
Besides ground chicken breast, seasonings, and cheese, there isn’t much else that is needed.
- Ground chicken. As the chicken is mixed with cheese, leaner cuts can be used. I used 90/10 ground chicken, which has a 10% fat content.
- Italian seasonings. The necessary spice mix.
- Olive oil. Or any oil to cook up the ground chicken.
- Cheddar cheese. Freshly grated cheddar cheese. This cheese is in addition to the topping.
- Pizza sauce. Skip the sugar-laden store-bought kind and make your own keto pizza sauce or pomodoro sauce.
- Pizza toppings. Bell peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni, or anything you like to add on a pizza.
- Mozzarella cheese. I like topping anything pizza-like with a two-cheese blend, like a mix of mozzarella and Jack cheese.
How to make a chicken crust pizza
Step 1- Make the crust
Start by adding the oil to a non-stick pan. Once hot, add the ground chicken and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Remove the pan from the heat and stir through the Italian seasonings and mozzarella cheese.
Step 2- Shape into a pizza
Using slightly wet hands, shape the chicken mixture into a ball. Transfer it onto a pizza stone or baking pan lined with parchment paper.
Step 3- Par-bake the crust
Bake the pizza for 3-4 minutes until golden on top to ensure the crust is firm and durable.
Step 4- Add toppings and bake
Remove the pizza from the oven and spread a thin layer of pizza sauce, then your favorite toppings. Sprinkle cheese over everything.
Bake everything for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
Canned chicken pizza
While ground chicken is best for a chicken crust pizza, you can also use canned and shredded chicken. As this kind of chicken isn’t as pliable as the ground kind, you need to add 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise to help bind it with the cheese.
Light and fresh sides are best as this dish is pretty much comfort food sliced up.
A simple green salad works, like a spinach, green goddess, or potato-based one.
Green vegetables are also great, whether asparagus, broccolini, green beans, or spinach.
- Use ground chicken breast: Opt for ground chicken breast instead of dark meat for a healthier and lower-fat crust. It also will hold the pizza much better.
- Season well: Chicken can be bland, so season your chicken crust well. Add your favorite herbs and spices, such as garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and basil.
- Use a non-stick surface: To prevent sticking, use a non-stick surface like parchment paper or a silicone baking mat when shaping your crust.
- Pre-bake the crust: It is important to par-bake before adding toppings to ensure it remains crisp and sturdy throughout.
Like any good pizza, this crust is easily adapted to suit your preferences.
- Ground meat– Turkey, beef, lamb, or pork all work.
- Toppings– Sliced zucchini, bell peppers, or onions. I also love fresh basil or olives.
- Sauce– Opt for a creamier sauce, like alfredo sauce or cheese sauce. You can also choose a thicker tomato-based one, like pomodoro sauce.
- Cheese– Freshly sliced mozzarella, dollops of full-fat ricotta cheese, or even parmesan cheese.
To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled pizza in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to two months.
Reheating: Microwave slices of the pizza for 30-40 seconds or reheat in a preheated oven until warm.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are ZERO carbs in the ground chicken pizza crust. Ground chicken and mozzarella cheese have no carbs/trace carbs. The carbs come from the vegetables and sauce added to it.
There are 245 calories and 2 grams net carbs in a serving of the chicken crust pizza WITH toppings.
You can pre-make and pre-cook the crust, then freeze them until you are ready to make the pizza.
Yes, chicken crust pizza is naturally gluten-free if you don’t add any gluten-containing ingredients to the crust or toppings.
The chicken crust should be cooked until golden brown and crispy on the edges. The internal temperature should be at least 165°F (74°C) to ensure it’s fully cooked and safe to eat.
You can make a chicken crust pizza without cheese if you’re lactose intolerant or avoiding dairy. Simply skip the cheese and add more toppings instead.
More keto pizza recipes to try
Chicken Crust Pizza (3 Ingredients!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 small mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 small bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a non-stick pan, add the oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, and the ground chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink.
- Remove the pan off the heat and stir through the Italian seasonings and cheddar cheese until combined. Shape the mixture into a ball.
- Transfer the ball of chicken onto the lined sheet and press down into a large pizza shape. Pre-bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spread the pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese.
- Bake the chicken crust pizza for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and slice and serve.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Wow! This is one cheesy pizza! It was really delicious. I followed your easy recipe (almost) exactly and made it with ground turkey, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, red peppers and parsley. I just left off the tomato sauce and I didn’t miss it at all.
I’m glad you used turkey, I just put mine in the oven but could only find ground turkey. Thanks for sharing.
I have made this recipe except with very finely chopped shredded chicken breast. My new favorite! So good! One carb and high protein! A win win recipe!!!!!
The recipe card calls for cheddar cheese. Is it supposed to say mozzarella? thanks
That is correct, sorry!
I really appreciate the low carb recipes I have been looking for ways to help me be fit and trim. Thank you Lois Reece.
Definitely a family fav! So easy too!