Put a fun and keto-friendly spin on pizza night with this pizza bowl recipe! They’re a scoopable and dippable snack or dinner and loaded with layers of meat, sauce, cheese, mushrooms, and pepperoni.
Are you craving pizza but not the carbs? Try this easy pizza bowl recipe!
They have been a healthier and low carb alternative to pizza. They cook in minutes and are seriously addictive.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
This dish may look incredibly fancy, but honestly, it’s so easy to whip up.
- Perfect flavor and texture. The texture ticks all the pizza boxes: cheesy, hearty, and with some crunch from the veggies. It tastes like any good pizza out there.
- It’s quick and easy. This dish take just 30 minutes to assemble, making pizza from scratch a reality any night of the week.
- Better than Papa John’s. The popular fast-food pizza shop may have started the trend, but this homemade version is better for you AND more delicious.
This pizza in a bowl is so easy, and besides the ground meat and toppings, there isn’t much else needed to make. Here is what you’ll need:
- Olive oil. To coat the skillet and saute the meat mixture.
- Garlic and onion. These add a deep, savory flavor to the ground chicken crust.
- Ground chicken. A flavorful ground chicken mixture is showcased on the bottom layer of each bowl.
Don’t want to use chicken? Feel free to swap it for lean ground beef or turkey instead.
- Oregano and rosemary. Or use an Italian seasoning blend.
- Cheddar and mozzarella cheese. I highly recommend using both. Cheddar adds a ton of flavor to the ground chicken mixture, while creamy mozzarella melted over the top leaves the bowls with irresistible stretchy cheese pulls.
- Pizza sauce. You can keep this recipe keto and low carb with my keto pizza sauce.
- Mushrooms and pepperoni. Or any pizza toppings you prefer! Check out the list of ideas below.
How to make pizza bowls
Keto pizza bowls are easy to make: just remember to choose appropriate-sized ramekins to fit everything in.
Saute the garlic, onion, and chicken: Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan, then add the garlic and onion and cook until fragrant. Add the ground chicken and until it’s no longer pink, then stir in the oregano and rosemary. Once cooked, evenly distribute the chicken amongst four small ramekins.
Assemble the bowls: Add a scoop of pizza sauce to each one, then top with cheddar cheese, mushrooms, mozzarella, and pepperoni.
Bake and serve: Bake the pizza bowls in the oven until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and golden around the edges. Let them cool for just a minute before serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Broil at the end: To brown the top layer of mozzarella cheese, turn the oven on to broil during the last 2 minutes of baking. Remember to keep an eye on the bowls as the tops can burn quickly.
- Use any oven safe dish: No ramekins? That’s okay. You can make this recipe in any kind of small oven-proof bowl.
- Use lean ground meat: Using lean ground meat produces less moisture and liquid than higher fat cuts. This will ensure the base remains tender instead of soggy.
Sure, you can follow this recipe to the T, but getting creative with the toppings is a lot of fun, too! Choose from:
- Meat – Swap the ground chicken for any ground meat of choice, including beef, pork, or turkey.
- Vegetarian toppings – Thinly sliced bell peppers, spinach, black olives, banana peppers, artichoke hearts, broccoli florets, roasted garlic, etc.
- Sauce options – Use your favorite barbecue sauce or creamy garlic sauce in place of the tomato sauce.
To store. Let the leftovers cool in the ramekins, then cover them with plastic or transfer to an airtight container. Keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days.
To freeze. I recommend baking the pizza bowls in aluminum foil ramekins if you’re planning on making freezer meals. Once baked and cooled, cover the bowls with plastic and freeze them for up to 6 months. Let thaw in the fridge before reheating.
To reheat. Microwave the bowls for 1 to 2 minutes or heat them in the oven until hot and bubbly.
More low carb pizza recipes to try
Frequently asked questions
Serve them on their own with a spoon or take them up a notch with a few sides for dipping. Salads, vegetables, or something for dipping (like sourdough bread!) are great.
There are virtually zero carbs in the ground chicken filling, cheddar, and mozzarella cheese. However, the pizza sauce and toppings do contribute a few carbs per serving.
For sure! The night before serving, prep each layer and assemble them in the individual ramekins. Cover with plastic and keep them in the fridge until baking the next day.
Best Pizza Bowl
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease four, 2-cup ramekins and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, add the olive oil, garlic, and onion, and cook until fragrant. Add the ground chicken and break it apart and cook until no longer pink. Stir through the oregano and rosemary. Remove the pan off the heat. Distribute the meat mixture evenly amongst the four ramekins.
- Add 1/4 cup of pizza sauce on top of each one, followed by the cheddar cheese, then the mushrooms, the the remaining mozzarella cheese. Top with the pepperoni.
- Bake the pizza bowls for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden around the edges.
- Remove the pizza bowls from the oven and let them cool for a minute before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.