This keto pizza casserole has all the best parts of a pizza all baked together, creating the ultimate low carb comfort food! Cheesy, meaty, and made with 5 ingredients, it takes just 20 minutes to make!
The Best Keto Pizza Casserole
It’s no surprise that we enjoy pizza-inspired meals on a weekly basis.
Even though we follow a low carb diet, there are plenty of keto recipes that taste just as good as the original.
Of course this includes pizza.
Some of our favorites are a classic keto pizza or, when we want something a little more filling, nothing beats a crustless pizza. If we are meal prepping or wanting something to last a few days, we love a low carb pizza casserole.
This keto casserole is made with real low carb pasta, and we use a rotini in this dish. There is also no cauliflower needed, which is often used in other keto pizza recipes.
It needs just 5 ingredients to make and requires a simple prep.
Oh, and each serving has just 3 grams of carbs!!!
If you’ve made any of my other keto dinner recipes before, you’ve probably already got everything on hand to make this one. If not, you can find them all at your local grocery store. Here is what you’ll need:
- Keto pasta- I used low carb rotini pasta, which holds sauce and cheese so much better than other kinds of pasta. Any kind of keto pasta works, even homemade almond flour pasta.
- Onion and garlic- Add extra flavor in the sauce mixture.
- Ground sausage- A must for any good pizza inspired dish. If you can’t find ground sausage, you can use any ground beef or pork.
- Pizza sauce- Homemade keto pizza sauce, not any of the store bought ones that are full of sugar and unnecessary carbs!
- Parmesan and mozzarella cheese- A combination of both kinds of cheese yield stretchy and melted cheese.
- Pepperoni- Simple and classic pizza topping.
How to make a keto pizza casserole
Simple is an understatement for making this recipe. It follows an easy 3-step process then requires less than 5 minutes of hands on time.
Ready to make this casserole?
Step 1- Cook the pasta
Start by cooking the pasta as per the package directions, until al dente. Drain it and set it aside.
Step 2- Making the filling
Next, add some olive oil into a large pot or saucepan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the ground sausage and cook until no longer brown. Add the pizza sauce and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove the sauce mixture from the heat and stir through the cooked pasta, along with the parmesan cheese.
Step 3- Bake the casserole
Now, transfer the pasta into a greased 8 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese then the mozzarella cheese. Place the pepperoni on top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Remove the casserole from the oven and cut it into pieces and serve immediately.
Expert tips for success
- You can use any keto pasta of your choice. I like the Great Low Carb Bread company rotini pasta, as it cooks and tastes like real pasta. If you can’t find a suitable kind, you can use soy pasta, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
- Add extra low carb vegetables to the sauce mixture, for added nutrients and thickness. Bell peppers, mushrooms, and spinach are all great options.
- To lower the carbs, use only a single package of pasta and double the amount of sauce.
The beauty of this casserole is that you can customize it any way you like, just like any good pizza. Here are some of the tested ways that work:
- Ground meat– Ground turkey, beef, pork, or chicken works.
- Cheese– Add some cheddar, pepper jack, or provolone cheese.
- Meat toppings– shaved ham, diced bacon, grilled chicken strips, or chorizo.
- Vegetable toppings– Add some low carb vegetables, like mushrooms, bell peppers, or onions.
- Antipasto and extras– Sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and artichoke hearts.
What to serve with a low carb pizza casserole
While this dish is delicious on its own, there are tons of low carb side dishes that work well with it.
Wondering what is the best way to store a pizza casserole? Here are best practices:
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled casserole in a large container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave portions for 30-40 seconds until hot or in a preheated oven.
FAQS about this low carb pizza casserole
How many carbs are in pizza casserole?
There are just 3 grams of net carbs in a serving of this pizza casserole.
Can I make this vegetarian?
For a vegetarian option, switch out the ground sausage for a vegetarian based sausage, like beyond meat crumbles.
Can I make ahead this dish?
Easily prepare this dish ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until it is ready to be baked. It can be made up to three days in advance.
More keto casserole recipes to try
Keto Pizza Casserole | 5 Ingredients and 5 minutes prep!
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Prepare the pasta as per the directions. Once al dente, remove from the heat and drain. Set aside.
- In a deep pot or large saucepan, add the olive oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the ground sausage, break apart in the pan, and cook until browned. Add the pizza sauce and mix well. Let the mixture simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the cooked pasta into the sausage sauce mixture and mix until combined. Fold through half the parmesan cheese. Transfer the mixture into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, then top with pepperoni. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the edges are golden.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, before slicing and serving.