These ground chicken burgers take just 7 minutes to cook and can be grilled or pan-fried! Extra juicy and perfectly healthy, there are NO eggs and NO bread crumbs needed!
Contrary to popular opinion, chicken burgers are far superior to beef burgers.
Hear me out.
I feel like chicken burgers have an unfair stigma that they are bland, boring, and turn out rubbery. This may be true, but it also comes down to how you cook them. My ground chicken burger recipe is so much better than any beef burger out there, and everyone who has tried them agrees..
Why you’ll love this recipe
- The entire recipe takes less than 7 minutes to cook, and there is no resting time required!
- They make a healthy and filling dinner. Lean ground chicken is virtually fat free and packs in over 30 grams of protein per serving.
- These chicken burgers are freezer friendly, so make a double batch or triple batch and freeze the leftovers.
- There is no need for eggs or bread crumbs, which are typically found in most burger recipes. This also makes them super low carb, so perfect for a keto dinner!
A secret trick ensures extra juicy chicken burgers every single time, even with extra lean ground chicken- Adding a drizzle of olive oil. The extra oil helps keep the insides juicy and moist, so you’ll be craving burgers every single time.
How to cook ground chicken burgers?
- Ground chicken– Either lean ground chicken breast or standard ground chicken can be used.
- Garlic– Freshly minced.
- Olive oil– The secret ingredient to ensure these burgers turn out extra juicy every time.
- Sweet chili sauce– Adds a lovely, subtle sweet and spicy flavor. You can also use standard chili sauce or sriracha.
- Mustard– American or Dijon mustard.
- Worcestershire sauce– Adds an extra layer of flavor that takes these burgers to another level.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Oil to fry/grill– Any cooking oil with a high smoke point, like safflower or vegetable oil.
Start by adding all your burger patty ingredients in a mixing bowl and mixing until combined. Next, lightly wet your hands and shape the mixture into four thick patties.
Now, add oil to a non-stick pan or stovetop grill and cook the burgers for 3-4 minutes per side, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165F.
Remove the chicken burgers from the heat and assemble into burgers with your favorite burger fillings.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Use your hands to mix the patties, as it ensures everything mixes well and doesn’t stick to the mixing spoon or spatula.
- Do not over-mix the burger mixture, as overdoing it risks the burgers becoming slightly chewy and tough (even without overcooking them!).
- Add some other spices or herbs to them, like smoked paprika, basil, or oregano.
- Avoid pressing down on the burgers while cooking, as this will release some of their juices and dry them out.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftover burgers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled burgers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: Microwave the burgers for 30-40 seconds or reheat on a grill or non-stick pan.
What to serve with chicken burgers
Frequently Asked Questions
Typically, grilled or pan-cooked chicken burgers take around 7-10 minutes to cook. The best way to check if the burgers are cooked is to check the internal temperature. For chicken burgers, they should be 165F.
Ground chicken burgers are lower in calories and saturated fat than beef or turkey burgers and boast over 30 grams of protein per serving.
Chicken burgers and hamburgers are both healthy options, but it depends on what you add to the burgers. Bacon, cheese, and creamy sauces can take a healthy burger into something quite calorie dense and high in fat.
You can bake ground chicken burgers, but will need to use a higher fat cut of ground chicken to ensure it does not dry out.
Ground chicken burgers (Extra juicy)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all your burger patty ingredients and mix until combined.
- Lightly wet your hands and shape the mixture into four thick patties.
- Add oil to a non-stick grill or pan and cook the burgers for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove the burgers from the pan and assemble as desired.
- Assemble the burgers by adding them in burger buns with cheese, mayonnaise, lettuce, and sliced tomatoes.