This keto lasagna is comforting and delicious and tastes like the real thing! Layers of low-carb lasagna noodles, meat sauce, ricotta cheese, and plenty of mozzarella cheese, it’s keto comfort food at its finest!
I’ve been eating lasagna for as long as I can remember, and I see no reason why being keto should change that. If you’ve tried my zucchini lasagna, then surely you’d agree.
This recipe is similar in that we swap the regular lasagna noodles for a keto alternative. In this case, a mixture of cheese and egg. The results speak for themselves: thick, savory lasagna sheets stacked between a rich filling of beef, red sauce, and even more melted cheese.
Altogether, it’s one of my favorite keto dinner ideas that’s always a hit–just ask my whole family!
Table of Contents
- Incredible flavors. We’re talking layer upon layer of cheese, savory red sauce, and juicy ground beef. What could be better than that?
- Perfect for cheese lovers. Anyone who loves cheese will go mad for this low-carb lasagna recipe. I guarantee it.
- Deceptively low-carb. For how decadent this lasagna is, you’d never believe it has only 2 grams of net carbs per serving.
If you’ve tried my eggplant lasagna recipe, then the ingredient list will look quite similar. Here is everything you’ll need for the lasagna noodles:
For the keto lasagna noodles
- Cream cheese- Opt for using cream cheese from a block instead of a tub, as it has a thicker texture and no added water in it.
- Mozzarella cheese- Mozzarella has a mild flavor and stretches beautifully, so is the perfect cheese to use to make the noodles. Do not use cheddar or another cheese, as it is prone to developing a film on the exterior.
- Parmesan cheese- Use finely grated parmesan cheese or fresh parmesan cheese. Some supermarkets sell a powdered version, which won’t work well and will leave the noodles gritty.
- Eggs- room temperature eggs. If you’d like this recipe to be egg-free, try using egg substitutes.
For the filling.
- Onion and garlic- Necessary additions to any good bolognese sauce or marinara recipe.
- Ground beef- I used lean ground beef, but any cut of ground beef works.
- Marinara sauce- Use a marinara sauce with no added sugar in them. You can also use a keto pizza sauce or keto spaghetti sauce.
- Salt and pepper- to taste.
- Ricotta cheese- To layer the lasagna and give it creaminess. It is like a mock bechamel.
- Mozzarella cheese- What is a lasagna without mozzarella?
How to make a keto lasagna
I’ve included step-by-step photos below to make this recipe easy to follow at home. For the full printable recipe instructions and ingredient quantities, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1- Prepare the lasagna noodles. Start by adding the cream cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese and microwave in 30-second spurts until the mozzarella has mostly melted. Whisk in the eggs until a thick and creamy batter remains.
Step 2- Bake the noodles. Next, bake the lasagna for 15 minutes until it just gets golden around the sides.
Step 3- Make the meat sauce. Now, add the onions and garlic to a pan and saute for 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add the marinara sauce, salt, and pepper and continue pan-frying for a further 5 minutes.
Step 4- Assemble and cook. Finally, add tin foil to a pan and allow half an inch overhanging from each side. Slice the lasagna sheet into six even pieces. Place two pieces on the bottom of the pan, followed by a third of the ricotta, a third of the meat sauce, and a third of the mozzarella. Repeat until all the noodles are cooked. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown on top. Slice, then serve.
Recipe tips and variations
- Let the noodles cool. Make sure the lasagna noodles have had a few minutes to cool before layering. Otherwise, you risk melting the ricotta cheese and affecting the structure of the lasagna.
- Use freshly grated cheese. Admittedly, I usually don’t heed this advice, but grating a block of fresh cheese makes for a better overall texture.
- Save time. I find making the lasagna noodles in advance saves a ton of time when I go to assemble the lasagna.
- Use store-bought noodles. If I’m in a pinch or don’t have all the ingredients, I’ll skip making the noodles and use store-bought keto-friendly lasagna sheets.
- Add some heat. If you’re a spice fiend, add a few dashes of red pepper flakes to the meat sauce.
- Amp up the seasonings. Depending on how flavorful your red sauce is, it might need a little flavor boost. I usually stir in some salt, black pepper, and oregano or, at the very least, garnish the lasagna with fresh basil.
How to store leftovers
To store: Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 1 week.
To freeze: Place individual portions of lasagna in airtight containers and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator, or add more reheating time.
To reheat: Reheat leftover lasagna in the microwave or oven at 350F until warm.
Make ahead instructions
if you’d like to make this lasagna in advance, it’s easy! Just prep the layers as instructed, but allow them to cool completely before assembling. Then, assemble the lasagna, cover in plastic wrap, and store it in the fridge for 1-2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If refrigerated, add an extra 10 minutes to the baking time. If frozen, let it thaw overnight in the fridge before baking.
Frequently asked questions
There are just 2 grams of net carbs in each serving of lasagna. This is made as written, including the low carb lasagna noodles.
Low carb vegetables like zucchini and eggplant work well, as does spinach and summer squash.
There are 325 calories per serving.
More keto dinner recipes to try
- Keto beef stroganoff– Tender sirloin cooked in a creamy sauce and served over a bed of keto pasta.
- Keto chicken parmesan– Crispy, juicy chicken baked in red sauce and covered in layers of melted mozzarella cheese.
- Zucchini boats– A kid-friendly, low-carb dinner everyone will love.
- Keto meatballs– These seriously taste so good, you’d never guess they’re low-carb.
For the keto lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
For the lasagna
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce * See notes
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add your cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese, and microwave in 30 second spurts, until the cheese has mostly melted. Add the eggs and whisk together, until a smooth batter remains.
- Transfer the batter onto the lined sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until the edges are firm. Remove at let cool.
- In a non-stick pan, add some oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and mix for 3 minutes, before adding the marinara sauce. Continue cooking for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Start assembling the lasagna. In an 8 x 8-inch pan, cover it completely with tin foil. Slice the keto lasagna sheets into 6 even pieces. Place two pieces on the bottom of the pan, followed by a 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, a third of the vegetarian bolognese sauce, and a 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the process until the entire lasagna is assembled.
- Place the assembled into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, before serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.