This keto lasagna is layers of low carb lasagna noodles, vegetarian bolognese sauce, and three different kinds of cheese, all baked to perfection. A vegetarian keto main course option that is sure to impress! 2 grams net carbs per slice.
You don’t often hear keto and lasagna in the same sentence. Traditional lasagna is probably one of the most non-keto foods available. This is mainly due to the thick layers of noodles that make up the dish. However, this could be combatted by making your own keto noodles!
Now, I’m sure there is some keto version of lasagna noodles in some grocery stores, but definitely not mine. As such, I had to make my own!
Before you get any wild ideas of some time-consuming process that involved a plethora of ingredients, think again- making low carb lasagna noodles is pretty much foolproof and takes less than 15 minutes. The combination of cheeses and eggs creates a thick and creamy dough, that holds its shape once baked.
This keto lasagna recipe is comfort food at its finest. The delicious layers, the creamy cheese, the homemade bolognese sauce…. this is the kind of recipe you’d make to impress your friends to prove that you CAN enjoy traditionally ‘carb heavy’ foods, with a low carb twist!
Ingredients to make a keto lasagna
It’s best to make this recipe in different parts. Once each different part of the lasagna has been prepped, it makes the assembly of it all so much easier. That hardest part is waiting for it to cook because your kitchen will smell like any good Italian restaurant out there!
For the keto lasagna noodles
- Cream cheese– Opt for using cream cheese from a block instead of a tub, as it has a thicker texture and no added water in it.
- Mozzarella cheese– Mozzarella has a mild flavor and stretches beautifully, so is the perfect cheese to use to make the noodles. Do not use cheddar or another cheese, as once it is made, it is prone to developing a film on the exterior.
- Parmesan cheese– Use finely grated parmesan cheese or fresh parmesan cheese. Some supermarkets sell a powdered version, which won’t work well, and will leave the noodles gritty.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs. This will be whisked in at the end, to produce a thick dough.
For the filling
- Onion and garlic- Necessary additions to any good bolognese sauce or marinara recipe!
- Vegetarian ground beef substitute– I opted to keep this recipe vegetarian, so used Quorn mince, which is a plant based alternative to ground beef. You can use ground beef or ground turkey if you aren’t vegetarian.
- Marinara sauce– Use a marinara sauce with no added sugar in them. You can use a sauce that has added herbs in it.
- Salt and pepper– to taste.
- Ricotta cheese– To layer the lasagna and gives it the necessary creaminess. It is like a mock bechamel.
- Mozzarella cheese– You can never have too much cheese! There is already mozzarella cheese in the noodles, but it won’t stretch so more must be added!
How do you make a low carb lasagna?
Start by preparing your lasagna noodles. In a microwave-safe bowl, add your cream cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan, and microwave in 30 second spurts until the mozzarella has mostly melted. Whisk in the eggs until a thick and creamy batter remains. Transfer the mixture onto a lined baking sheet and spread out into a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes, until it just begins to get golden around the sides.
Heat some oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, until fragrant. Add the ground beef substitute for 2-3 minutes, before adding the marinara sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste and continue pan frying for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Start putting the lasagna together. In an 8 x 8-inch pan, add tin foil and allow half an inch overhanging from each side. Slice the lasagna sheet into 6 even pieces. Place two pieces on the bottom of the pan, followed by a third of the ricotta, a third of the vegetarian bolognese sauce, and a third of the mozzarella. Repeat to create two more layers. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown on top.
Can I prepare the lasagna in advance?
If you’d like to prepare the lasagna in advance, before baking it, you can easily do so!
Ensure all the layers (lasagna sheets and bolognese sauce) have been cooled to room temperature. Once cool, assemble the lasagna as directed. Once assembled, cover the lasagna completely in plastic wrap and store in the freeze. The day before baking it, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator.
You will need to bake the lasagna from a chilled state and bake for an extra 10 minutes.
Tips to make the best lasagna
- Make sure your lasagna noodles have been cooled slightly before you layer the lasagna together. You risk it melting the ricotta cheese and in turn, will make the overall lasagna less sturdy and sink when baked.
- Be sure the marinara sauce you use is low carb and keto friendly. This means it must be sugar free, and only have salt and herbs on the ingredient list.
- I used pre-shredded mozzarella but for the best flavor and texture, grate a block of mozzarella cheese instead.
- As I used a plant based ground beef, I didn’t need to worry about it browning first before adding the marinara sauce. If you do opt to use traditional ground beef, add the marinara after it has been completely browned.
Storing and Freezing Lasagna
- To store: Leftover keto lasagna should be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place individual portions of lasagna in freezer friendly containers and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- To reheat: Reheat lasagna in the microwave or in a preheated oven.
More vegetarian keto recipes you’ll enjoy
For the keto lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
For the lasagna
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups plant based ground beef can use standard ground beef
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add your cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese, and microwave in 30 second spurts, until the cheese has mostly melted. Add the eggs and whisk together, until a smooth batter remains.
- Transfer the batter onto the lined sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until the edges are firm. Remove at let cool.
- In a non-stick pan, add some oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add the ground beef substitute and mix for 3 minutes, before adding the marinara sauce. Continue sauteeing for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Start assembling the lasagna. In an 8 x 8-inch pan, cover it completely with tin foil. Slice the keto lasagna sheets into 6 even pieces. Place two pieces on the bottom of the pan, followed by a 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, a third of the vegetarian bolognese sauce, and a 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the process until the entire lasagna is assembled.
- Place the assembled into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, before serving.