This recipe for keto zucchini lasagna is one for the books- Zucchini slices layered with a rich meat sauce and creamy cheese mixture, it’s so comforting and NEVER watery, you won’t believe it is low carb!
Keto Zucchini Lasagna
Why this zucchini lasagna recipe will be a weekly dinner staple-
- A healthy dinner option! This dish is packed with greens (zucchini and spinach), lean ground beef, and an ample amount of cheese, without being excessive.
- Minimal prep- Slice the zucchini, make the meat sauce, layer it up then set it to bake away (while it’s baking, prepare some edible cookie dough for dessert!).
- No noodles are needed. Just because it is low in carbs does NOT mean it lacks flavor. It’s the kind of keto recipe that non-keto followers would easily appreciate!
The secret to the best zucchini lasagna is drawing out the moisture from the zucchini before layering it up- This guarantees NO watery lasagna ever!
Ingredients to make the best zucchini lasagna
- Zucchini– Thinly sliced. When choosing a zucchini to use for lasagna, choose 0ne that is firm and ripe, with no bumps or bruises on the flesh.
- Salt– Sprinkled over the sliced zucchini to draw out excess moisture.
- Olive oil– To cook up the meat sauce mixture!
- Ground beef– I used lean ground beef to make this lasagna healthier, but you can use a slightly fattier cut, like 80/20 ground beef. Avoid using very fatty beef, as it will create pools of oil in the bottom of the baking dish once the lasagna is baked.
- Tomato sauce– Homemade keto spaghetti sauce to make the lasagna even more flavorful and delicious.
- Italian seasonings– A must for all Italian-inspired dishes.
- Ricotta cheese– Full fat ricotta cheese. Low fat and fat free ricotta cheese can also work, but they tend to have higher carbs. If you don’t have ricotta cheese, cottage cheese can be used. If you do use the latter, blend it until it is mostly smooth.
- Cheddar cheese– Any flavorful shredded cheese will work. You are welcome to also double up on the mozzarella cheese.
- Frozen spinach– Optional, but adds an extra dose of veggies to the lasagna! Be sure to squeeze out any extra moisture to ensure that there is no watery lasagna!
- Egg– To thicken the creamy filling.
- Mozzarella cheese– Adds an extra layer of cheese and also lightly sprinkle over the top.
How do you make a zucchini lasagna?
1. Slice the zucchini into 1/8 inch slices and sprinkle with salt. Let the zucchini sit for 15 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
2. In a non-stick pan, add olive oil. Once hot, add the ground beef and cook until no longer brown. Add the tomato sauce and Italian herbs and cook for 5-10 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese, tasty cheese, thawed spinach, and egg until combined.
4. Layer the lasagna by spreading some of the meat sauce to cover the bottom of a baking dish. Add a layer of the zucchini, followed by a thin layer of the ricotta mixture. Finally, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese over the top. Repeat the process until all the ingredients are used up.
5. Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake the lasagna and bake for 50 minutes, remove the foil after 30 minutes for the top to go golden brown.
FAQ and tips to make the best recipe
How do you keep zucchini lasagna from being watery?
After making this lasagna hundreds of times, I’ve perfected the recipe to ensure the lasagna is NEVER watery. However, you must follow these foolproof tips-
- Salt the zucchini. Sprinkling the zucchini with salt before using it in the lasagna will draw out excess moisture. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes!
- Slice the zucchini thinly. The thinner the slices of zucchini, the less chance it has to hold any moisture.
- Avoid using reduced-fat ricotta cheese. Reduced fat dairy products compensate for the lack of fat with extra water.
How do you cut zucchini for lasagna without a mandoline?
A mandoline helps you slice zucchini into more uniform shapes, but a sharp kitchen knife works perfectly well.
To cut zucchini for lasagna, chop the ends of each side. Then, place it on a chopping board length-ways and slice around 1/8 inch slices.
Is ricotta keto friendly?
While all kinds of ricotta cheese are suitable for a keto diet, the full-fat variety is best. Not only does it taste much better, but it also contains the fewest carbs.
Can I prepare this in advance?
This is the kind of dish you can make up to 3 days ahead of time. Simply let the meat sauce cool to room temperature before assembling. After the lasagna has been assembled, cover it in tin foil and refrigerate it.
Storing, freezing, and reheating low carb zucchini lasagna
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 1 week. Ensure the lasagna has been cooled to room temperature first to ensure it does not sweat.
- To freeze: Place the lasagna in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave for 1-2 minutes or reheat in a preheated oven until warm and the cheese is bubbling.
More zucchini recipes to try
Keto Zucchini Lasagna (Non watery!)
- 3-4 large zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef I used extra lean ground beef
- 3 1/2 cups keto spaghetti sauce or sugar free marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar or tasty
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed and with all liquid squeezed out
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Thinly slice the zucchini into 1/8th inch thick slices. Lay onto a flat kitchen surface and sprinkle with the salt, to draw out extra moisture. After 15 minutes, pat dry with a towel.
- In a non-stick pan, add the olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the spaghetti sauce and Italian herbs and cook for 5 minutes, before removing from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese, shredded tasty cheese, thawed spinach, and egg.
- Assemble the zucchini lasagna. Spread half a cup of the meat sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Add a single layer of the zucchini, before adding ½ cup of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese on top of it. Repeat the process until all the ingredients have been used up. Top with any remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes, removing the foil after 30 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and rest for 10 minutes before serving.