This keto beef stroganoff is made with tender sirloin simmered in a thick and creamy sauce! Ready in just 20 minutes, serve it over low carb pasta for an easy dinner.
Keto comfort food is my jam.
While I follow a basic eating style, sometimes I really crave comfort food. While I have a slew of keto dinner ideas I turn to, I have a few that satisfy my cravings.
What is beef stroganoff?
A traditional beef stroganoff hails from Russia, and is made up of tender beef in a creamy sauce. There are many variations of it, but the most popular ones involve mushrooms and sour cream. While the original version is far from keto friendly, you can easily make a few tweaks to add it to your menu!
Why you’ll love this keto beef stroganoff recipe–
- Ready in 20 minutes. This stroganoff is the perfect recipe for a quick and easy dinner on busy weeknights.
- Just 3 grams net carbs. For something so rich and hearty, no one knows it’s low carb.
- Made in one skillet (or pot). Everything is made in the same skillet, from the vegetables to the beef!
- Slow cooker and crockpot options. While I prefer using my skillet (less time!) you can also opt to make it in a slow cooker.
What I love about this dish is just how authentic it tastes…even without the carbs! I keep things traditional by serving it over low carb pasta and NO ONE call tell the difference.
How to make a keto beef stroganoff
- Sirloin steak– the best cut of beef for this dish. It remains tender and soaks up the creamy sauce so well.
- Garlic and onion– Adds flavor and works well with beef.
- Butter– Unsalted butter from a block/stick, not a spread.
- Beef broth– Choose a high-quality beef broth with no additives or fillers.
- Worcestershire sauce– The secret ingredient to give the dish a fabulous umami flavor.
- Mushrooms– sliced button mushrooms.
- Almond flour– Thickens the sauce. Use blanched almond flour, not almond meal.
- Sour cream– Adds creaminess and a subtle tang that balances out all the salty flavors.
- Keto noodles– Use your favorite packaged low carb noodles, like the Great Low Carb Bread company brand, or similar.
Start by slicing the beef into 1-inch strips and set aside. Add the butter into a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onion and saute for 1-2 minutes, until soft. Once soft, remove the vegetables from the pan.
Next, add the beef into the same pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned. Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer for 15 minutes.
Now, add the almond flour into the pan then the cooked vegetables and mushrooms, and bring to a boil. Stir through the sour cream and heat until hot. Remove the pan off the heat and serve over low carb noodles or keto mashed mashed potatoes.
Slow cooker and crockpot options
If you’d like to make this dish in a slow cooker or crockpot instead of a skillet, you can easily do so. Here is how you’ll do it.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan and add the beef, onions, and garlic and cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add the beef and vegetables to a crockpot or slow cooker, along with the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and mushrooms.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Remove the lid, stir through the almond flour (or xanthan gum) and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, stir through the sour cream and mix well.
Can I use other cuts of beef?
While sirloin is the best beef for this recipe, you can use ground beef, hamburger (with no added sugar or fillers), and stew meat (often referred to as chuck roast).
Expert tips for success
- Adding almond flour thickens the sauce, almost like a gravy. If you don’t want to use almond flour, you can use 1/2 a teaspoon of xanthan gum.
- Slice the sirloin across the grain, for more tender and soft pieces.
- Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce once the beef is no longer pink, NOT once it has cooked. The beef will continue cooking throughout the process.
Storing, freezing, and reheating instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled beef stroganoff (NOT the pasta) in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: Microwave for 30-40 seconds until warm.
What to serve with beef stroganoff
To keep the carbs down by flavor on point, serve this dish the traditional way over noodles or potato alternatives. Some fun low carb options include keto pasta, almond flour pasta, keto gnocchi, and keto mashed potatoes.
More beef recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
The best way to thicken stroganoff without flour is to use xanthan gum or cornstarch. While cornstarch is not keto friendly, the amount used is minimal and won’t affect the carbs too much.
There are just 3 grams of net carbs in beef stroganoff as it is. When served with low carb noodles, there are just 6 grams of net carbs.
Heavy cream will work in beef stroganoff, however, it will not be as thick. Let the stroganoff simmer for an extra ten minutes to compensate.
Full fat sour cream is keto friendly. Low fat and non-fat options do contain more carbs.
There are just 295 calories per serving of beef stroganoff.
Keto Beef Stroganoff
- Slice the beef into 1-inch strips, cutting against the grain.
- In a non-stick pan or skillet, add the butter and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onions and cook until soft. Remove them from the pan.
- Add the sirloin and cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink. Add the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the cooked onion and garlic. Stir through the almond flour. Let everything simmer for 5 minutes, before stirring through the sour cream until combined and smooth.
- Remove the skillet off the heat and serve immediately with your favorite low carb pasta or mock potatoes.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.