Started a keto diet and already in a lunch time rut? Here are the BEST keto lunch ideas to give you tons of variety with minimal effort! Over 40 EASY and DELICIOUS lunch recipes that can be meal prepped in advance!
With our three square meals a day, lunch often gets overlooked.
Ask most people, and their favorite meal of the day would either be breakfast or dinner. These are also the two main meals that most of us have plenty of recipes on hand to whip something up. For the average person, this can be a little bit tricky but throw a ketogenic diet into the mix, there is potential for catastrophy!
Fortunately, like keto breakfasts and keto dinners, there are plenty of lunch ideas that tick the boxes. All it takes is a little extra preparation and you’ll have easy and nourishing lunches to keep your low carb diet on track..and with plenty of variety.
What is a typical keto lunch?
Even on a keto diet, sandwiches are a thing. All you need is some keto bread and your favorite low carb fillings and Voila- You have the stock standard basic lunch…that gets boring REAL fast.
Luckily, the best keto lunches involve minimal prep, and my favorite is this meal prep lunch. It takes minutes to make and can be prepped for the entire week.
- Grilled chicken breast- lean, protein-packed, and zero carbs, it forms the foundation of a keto lunch.
- Boiled eggs– An easy and filling keto food that has protein and healthy fats.
- Low carb vegetables– broccoli, baby spinach, and cauliflower.
- Nuts and seeds– Pecans, walnuts, and macadamia nuts.
- Dressing– I enjoy using a simple olive oil dressing, but any keto salad dressing works.
Start by grilling the chicken as instructed. Once grilled, let it cool completely. Wash and chop your low carb vegetables and pat them dry. Once the chicken has cooled, slice it up and divide it amongst five containers. Add some vegetables to each one, followed by the nuts and seeds. When ready to enjoy, pour the dressing all over it and mix until incorporated.
Storing and meal prepping instructions
- To store: Each ‘lunch box’ can be stored in the refrigerator for five days, from the day it has been prepared. Keep the salad dressing separate and simple drizzle before eating.
- To meal prep: Prepare the chicken first, slice it, then let it cool completely. Once cool, add it to five bowls or containers. Divide the vegetables between them and then the nuts and/or seeds.
What can I eat for lunch on keto?
What CAN’T you eat for lunch on a keto diet? There are plenty of low carb options to choose for lunch and if you are anything like me, you’ll enjoy plenty of keto dinner leftovers. They are fantastic reheated up and can be prepped in advance so you have something different every single day of the week.
Here are the best keto lunch recipes and ideas that have you covered. From casseroles, hearty salads, stews, soups, and more, there are endless possibilities. As these are main meals, you can eat them on their own, or serve them with keto bread and pasta options- buns, rolls, hot dog buns, pasta, gnocchi, and almond flour pasta.
Keto lunch recipes
Frequently Asked Questions
Protein and fats are typically safe bets to eat freely on keto. Foods like chicken, steak, salmon, and eggs all have zero carbs but plenty of protein and some fat. Some dairy products like cheese and cream are also safe bets, provided they are full-fat and have no additives in them.
Traditional hummus made with chickpeas is not allowed, but you can easily make keto hummus, which uses cauliflower as the base.
Keto Lunch Recipes (5 Star Rated!)
- Prepare five containers or lunch boxes and set aside.
- Cook the chicken as instructed and let it cool completely.
- Divide the chicken amongst the five containers. Slice the boiled eggs in half and place two halves in each. Divide the broccoli, green beans and pecans, followed by the baby spinach. Pour one tablespoon of dressing into each container.