These keto salmon patties are a quick and easy dinner made with canned salmon! Ready in just 5 minutes, they are flavorful, juicy, and crispy on the outside!
Quick and easy keto dinners are my favorite.
Sure, I love something more elaborate and fancy, but when I need dinner on the table in ten minutes, I have a few standbys.
Is canned salmon keto?
Provided the salmon is packed in oil, water, or brine, it is a fantastic keto friendly protein. It has zero carbs and moderate amounts of fat. Flavored salmon often contains added sugar and sauces.
Why this keto salmon cakes recipe will be a dinnertime favorite-
- Ready in 5 minutes. From prep to plate, these patties take just five minutes to cook. You can make it while someone sets the dinner table.
- Affordable. Canned salmon is much cheaper than fresh salmon and when used in patties, tastes just as good.
- Almost zero carbs. By swapping out bread crumbs for a keto alternative, these have virtually no carbs!
What I love about this recipe is how it NEVER tastes fishy. Canned fish has an unfair stigma to have a fishy odour or flavor but not this one- It tastes delicious that even non-seafood fans would love it!
How to make keto salmon patties
- Canned salmon– Use a good quality salmon packed in springwater or brine, NOT oil or flavored oils.
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Bread crumb substitute– I like using keto bread crumbs, but you can also blend up some toasted keto bread. If you don’t have either on hand, use almond flour.
- Eggs– room temperature eggs.
- Mayonnaise– Skip the sugar-laden store bought kind and make your own keto mayonnaise.
- Worcestershire sauce– Adds a lovely flavor and works so well with salmon.
- Parsley– Adds some greens and a lovely robust flavor.
Make the salmon cakes mixture: Mix the salmon, salt, pepper, and keto bread crumbs. Adds the remaining ingredients and mix well until combined.
Shape the patties: Using lightly wet hands, shape the mixture into equal sized patties.
Cook and serve: Add oil or butter to a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, cook the patties for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once cooked, serve immediately.
Can I use cooked salmon?
If you’d like to use cooked salmon, make some air fryer salmon (or baked salmon) and let it cool to room temperature. Once cool. flake it with two forks and use in place of canned salmon.
How do you keep salmon patties from falling apart?
Adding a flour (like coconut or almond) or keto bread crumbs prevents the patties from falling apart. They soak up excess moisture, while keeping the patties juicy (never dry!).
Do you put egg in salmon patties?
Eggs help bind the patties and give them structure. If you’d like to make these without eggs, try an egg substitute.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Ensure you drain your salmon very well, to ensure that the mixture won’t be soggy.
- Do not use flavored can salmon or salmon in oil(s). This will affect the overall flavor and texture.
- Do not over-fry the patties or else you risk them drying out. Once they are golden around the edges and firm to touch, they are ready to eat!
- Change up the flavors for some fun. Add some curry powder, taco seasoning, or Cajun seasoning.
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled salmon patties in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to six months.
- Reheating: Microwave the patties for 10-20 seconds or reheat in the pan until warm and crispy around the sides.
What goes best with salmon patties?
Serve salmon patties with vegetable side dishes, like a spinach salad or coleslaw. If you are watching your carbs, try one of these keto side dishes.
More salmon recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
There is just 1 gram of net carbs in each of these homemade salmon patties.
Yes, enjoy salmon patties as part of a weight loss diet. They are packed with protein and healthy fats, two key nutrients that keep you satisfied and full.
There is no need to remove bones from canned salmon. The bones are brittle and can be consumed. Having some bones in the patties will make no difference.
Keto Salmon Patties (Salmon cakes)
- In a mixing bowl, add the salmon, garlic salt and pepper and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until a thick batter remains.
- Form the mixture into 12 equal sized patties.
- Add oil in a non-stick pan. When hot, add the patties and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat the process until all the patties are cooked.
- Serve immediately.