If you love a good smoked salmon bagel, then look no further- this homemade recipe makes the perfect brunch, lunch, or savory breakfast.
If you are anything like me, there is nothing more delicious than a smoked salmon bagel with all the trimmings.
I’m someone who’d happily fork out close to $20 for one of these bagels and only recently did I realise just how easy they are to make at home!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Cost effective. The price of a smoked salmon bagel at any cafe or sandwich shop is around $15-$20 each. This homemade version clocks in at under $4 per serve!
- Quick and easy. In just 3 easy steps, your smoked salmon bagel will be ready to serve.
- You control the ingredients. There is nothing more annoying that ordering one of these bagels and having it slathered with cream cheese (seriously!). By making it yourself, you control how much (or how little) you add.
- Healthier. Bagels are infamous for being calorie bombs and most of that comes down to the ingredients. By making it yourself, you can control the overall nutritional profile of them.
What I love about this recipe is just how simple and elegant it is. I can’t believe I used to pay someone else to make them when I could do it myself!
You will love the simple ingredient list for this recipe. My only recommendation is to choose the most fresh ingredients as possible. Here is what you’ll need:
- Bagels. I like using plain or sesame bagels as it lets the fillings shine, but any work. Of course, you can try a homemade bagel (we have 2 ingredient one, low calorie one, an air fried one, and a low carb one).
- Cream cheese. Softened to room temperature.
- Cucumber. Thinly sliced.
- Smoked salmon. When possible, choose fresh smoked salmon over the packaged variety.
- Optional fillings. Red onion, capers, dill.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
How to make a smoked salmon bagel?
With less than two minutes prep, this is a very simple recipe. Here is how to make it:
Step 1- Toast the bagels
Start by slicing the bagels in half and lightly toasting them. Unlike sliced bread, bagels can become quite stiff when toasted too long.
Step 2- Assemble
Add a layer of cream cheese on the base and on top of the bagels. Add cucumber, smoked paprika and then red onion, capers, fresh dill and season with salt and pepper.
Tips to make the best bagel sandwich
- Always toast the bagels because the un-toasted ones are too dense and doughy.
- Remove the cream cheese from the fridge 30 minutes before making the recipe. It’ll soften the cream cheese, which will mix the ingredients better.
- Always use fresh ingredients when possible. It makes all the difference in terms of flavor.
The beauty of this bagel sandwich is just how easy it to customize based on your personal preferences. Here are some ideas to try:
- Cheese: Not a fan of cream cheese? Try spreadable goat cheese, cottage cheese, or sliced cheddar.
- Proteins: Swap smoked salmon with smoked trout or tuna.
- Veggies: We kept things classic with red onion but add avocado, tomatoes, or even some arugula.
- Seasonings: Sauces, dressings, or even some mayo.
Make ahead tips
You can prep these bagels up to three days in advance and keep them stored in the refrigerator.
When ready to eat, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes and, if possible, place it in a panini press to toast it.
More sandwich recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Smoked salmon has been ‘smoked’ beforehand. While it isn’t cooked in the traditional sense, it is safe to consume.
While very similar, lox has a saltier flavor and a prominent raw texture compared to smoked salmon.
Yes, smoked salmon is healthy for breakfast, as it is packed with protein and healthy fats. However, as it is high in sodium, it should be consumed in moderation.
Smoked Salmon Bagel | Ready In 2 Minutes
- 2 bagels halved
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/2 small cucumber thinly sliced
- 1/4 small red onion sliced
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 sprig fresh dill chopped
- Toast the bagels lightly.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese to the base of the bagels and a thin layer on top.
- Add a thin layer of the cucumber, followed by the smoked salmon, red onion, a sprinkle of the capers and the fresh dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut bagels in half and enjoy immediately.