This sweet chili salmon is seared salmon fillets drizzled with a healthy and delicious sweet chili glaze. A quick and easy low carb and keto dinner that takes less than 15 minutes and just 4 ingredients. Whole 30 approved and 1 gram net carbs per serving.
We try to eat fish several times a week. Not only is it a healthy source of protein and nutrients, it is extremely delicious and filling. This Thai inspired sweet chili salmon is one of my favorite ways to enjoy it. It’s simply seared salmon fillets drizzled with plenty of sweet chili sauce.
The beauty of it is that you can use ANY sweet chili sauce of choice! To keep it keto and low carb, I used a sugar free one, but you can use any kind you like. Less than 20 minutes to make, it’s perfect when dinner needs to be on the table and time is of the essence!
How do you make sweet chili salmon
- Salmon fillets– Either skinless fillets or skin-on fillets. I prefer the skin on fillets, as it’s easy to sear the salmon with the skin side on the pan.
- Olive oil– To cover the salmon with, and keeps the fish buttery and moist.
- lime juice- Either fresh lime juice or bottled lime juice.
- Sweet chili sauce– You must use a sweet chili sauce that is sugar free and low carb, to keep it keto. I used sugar free Thai sweet chili sauce.
- Salt and Pepper– To taste. Do not add salt to the fish prior to frying it, as it can actually dry out the fish quicker.
Start by placing your olive oil and lemon juice into a mixing bowl. Place the salmon fillets in there, and cover on either side, to coat. Heat a non-stick pan with oil on medium heat. Once extremely hot, place the salmon fillets, skin on. Cook for 5 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and let sit 1 minute, before drizzling with sweet chili sauce.
Can I use an air fryer?
Yes, this salmon can be made in the air fryer, as the sweet chili glaze is poured on top of the cooked salmon.
To air fry, place the salmon fillets in the air fryer basket and cook at 200C for 10 minutes, or until the golden brown around the sides and the skin is sizzling.
Can I bake salmon?
If you have extra time and want to bake the salmon, you are able to do that.
Cover a baking dish with tin foil, allowing 2-3 inches overhanging from either side. Place your oil and lime juice covered salmon fillets, skin side down. Pour an extra tablespoon of lime juice over the top. Fold the foil over the tops, and bake the salmon at 180C/350F for 15 minutes. Let sit for 1 minute, before covering the salmon with the chili sauce.
Tips to make the best sweet chili salmon
- Do not add the sauce to the salmon while it is frying. This dish is designed for the sauce to be poured over the top.
- The pan must be searing hot. If you aren’t sure, add a drop of water and if it sizzles, it’s ready!
- Avoid over cooking the salmon- It continues to cook while it is resting for the minute. You know the salmon is done when a fork touches the top, it starts to flake.
- Go as heavy handed on the sauce as you’d like.
- Serve this salmon with cauliflower rice for a filling and low carb dinner.
Sweet Chili Salmon Variations
- Honey Soy Salmon– Replace with the sweet chili sauce with a combination of honey, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Use 3 tablespoons honey, 1/4 cup soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil. For a thicker sauce, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Terriyaki Salmon– Use a sugar free teriyaki sauce to marinate the salmon and glaze the cooked fish.
- Lemon Pepper Salmon– Simmer the salmon in 1/4 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spicy Salmon– Add cayenne flakes or red pepper flakes to the sweet chili sauce. Or, substitute the sauce for a sugar free hot chili sauce.
Storing Sweet Chili Salmon
Leftover salmon can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, covered. To reheat, microwave for 30 seconds, or pan fry for 1-2 minutes.
More Delicious Low Carb Dinner Recipes
Sweet Chili Salmon
- 4 salmon fillets 150 grams/6 ounces
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce * See notes
- In a small bowl, whisk together your olive oil and lime juice, until combined.
- Add your salmon and cover both sides in the mixture.
- Coat a large frying pan with oil and heat on medium Once hot, add your salmon, skin side down, onto the hot pan. Sear for 5 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 1 minute, before drizzling with sweet chili sauce.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.