Keto egg roll in a bowl is a quick, easy, and healthy dinner ready in under 10 minutes! A deconstructed egg roll that tastes SO good, you won’t miss the carbs! 2 grams net carbs per serving.
Whenever I visit a Chinese restaurant, I always scan the appetizer list for egg rolls.
Traditional egg rolls are typically deep-fried and packed with calories. While delicious, the best part of them is definitely the filling! Luckily, you can skip the high calorie, high fat, and high carb wrappers and enjoy this deconstructed egg roll in a bowl!
Why this keto egg roll in a bowl recipe will have you mesmerised-
- The entire recipes comes together in just 10 minutes, including prep time! There is no extensive chopping, slicing, or dicing.
- Not only is this dish low in carbs but it is healthy too- It’s full of protein and fiber!
- It’s perfect for a kid friendly dinner, and you can serve it with some rice or cauliflower rice for a complete and balanced meal.
What I love about this deconstructed egg roll in a bowl is how simple yet delicious it is. There are no crazy or hard-to-find ingredients, and you probably have everything in the pantry right this second!
Ingredients to make this recipe
This is everything you’ll need to make deconstructed egg rolls.
- Sesame oil– An extremely flavorful oil that works well in Asian-inspired recipes. A little goes a very long way!
- Garlic, onion, and ginger– Adds extra flavor and key ingredients in egg rolls.
- Ground pork– Traditional egg rolls use ground pork, but you can also use ground beef, ground chicken, or ground turkey. I used lean ground pork, but the higher fat cuts will be more flavorful, albeit a little more fatty.
- Coleslaw mix- Cabbage and carrot are two key ingredients in an egg roll, so skip the hassle of grating and chopping and use coleslaw mix. You get the added bonus of TWO kinds of cabbage (purple and green!).
- Soy sauce– Gluten free, if needed.
- Chili sauce– Sriracha or Sambal oelek.
How do you make egg roll in a bowl
Start by adding the oil into a non-stick pan and placing it over medium heat. Once hot, add the garlic and onion and cook for a minute until fragrant. Next, add the ground pork and use a spatula to break it apart. Fry the pork for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink. Push the pork to one side and add the coleslaw mix. Combine everything together before adding the soy sauce and chili sauce. Stir fry everything together for a further two minutes, before removing the pan from the heat and serving it.
The beauty of this recipe is how easy it is to customize to change up the flavors and textures!
- Protein– Replace the ground pork with other ground meat, like beef, chicken, or turkey.
- Vegetables– Use other kinds of cabbage like Napa or Chinese, add some bean shoots, or even some zucchini noodles. You can also use broccoli slaw or kale slaw, for a delicious twist.
- Sauces– For a sweet and salty kick, add some oyester sauce or black bean sauce. These aren’t keto friendly though, so you can also add some fish sauce and a tablespoon of brown sugar substitute.
Storing, freezing, and reheating unstuffed egg rolls
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the freezer, covered, for up to 1 week.
- To freeze: Place the deconstructed egg rolls in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the egg roll bowls for 30-second spurts until warm, or in a non-stick pan.
More easy keto dinner recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Egg rolls don’t always have meat and some of the most delicious ones are completely vegetarian or vegan. If you’d like a vegetarian egg roll in a bowl, replace the ground pork with a ground meat substitute or crumbled tofu.
Egg rolls and spring rolls are the same things. Countries like Australia, the UK, and New Zealand use the term spring rolls (instead of egg rolls).
Egg rolls do not typically contain eggs. The ‘egg’ in the name refers to the egg used in the actual wrappers of traditional egg rolls.
There are 2 grams of net carbs in egg rolls in a bowl. Compare that to a traditional egg roll (spring roll) that has over 40 grams of carbs.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
Share this recipe on Pinterest
Love this Keto egg roll in a bowl recipe?
Share it with the world on Pinterest.
Keto Egg Roll In A Bowl
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 inch ginger minced
- 1 lb ground pork lean * See notes
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce ** See notes
- In a non-stick pan, add the sesame oil and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, garlic, and ginger, and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the ground pork and break it apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until no longer pink. Push the pork to one side and add the coleslaw mix and add the coleslaw mix. Stir until everything is combined. Add the soy sauce and chili sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and serve in bowls.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Loving this meal. Tried it out yesterday. Tasted amazingly delicious. Thanks a tonne for this recipe.
Great to hear that!
How many cups or ounces is a serving?
We don’t weigh it- we just divide the total by the number of servings.
This recipe was very tasty. Made it with ground turkey. But I have a question. I built it as a recipe in my Carb Manager app. The app listed each portion’s net carbs as six, not two. Any idea why?
8 carbs, 6 fiber, 2 net carbs
Are the 8 grams of carbs listed total? So really the recipe is 2g net carbs because there is 6 grams of fiber?
That is correct!
I’ve been wanting to make this for a while now and glad I finally did. Really, really good (and it DOES make a ton). I forgot to buy ginger and was out of ground ginger at home so used a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg instead. I also added a tad of szechuan sauce for a little kick. Overall, a delicious recipe and will make again.
Very quick and easy to make. Very tasty. I did add some hot mustard from chinese restaurant for a “kick”. Great with brown rice (adds carbs though) Will definitely make again
What is a 1/2 inch of ginger? Typo?
No it isn’t. Half an inch of ginger.
This was sooo good . I may have missed it but what is a serving size? Also I can’t find in my carb app either
Soooooo yumilious! This is our 4th recipe by Arman and each has been so good. I always follow a new recipe according to chefs instructions tweaking if needed if I make again. This Egg Roll in a Bowl will be made again and again adding some bean sprouts and shrimp! Hot Siracaha Chili Sauce is my go to and only use a tablespoon and check heat. Thanks Arman for another super delicious dinner!!
8 carbs, 6 fiber, 2 net carbs
Very easy. Great flavor for so few ingredients. If you like spicy you can use spicy pork sausage instead of ground pork