Keto broccoli salad is a low carb take on the classic creamy salad! Perfectly tender and crisp broccoli covered in a creamy dressing made with NO mayo- they make the perfect dinner side dish or a meal on its own! 4 grams net carbs.
I love my keto vegetable recipes. If I’m not making buffalo cauliflower bites or stuffed peppers, I am going to town with this low carb broccoli salad.
Growing up, the only way I’d eat broccoli was in my mom’s broccoli salad. I highly doubt it was due to the broccoli, but rather the creamy, tangy dressing. Now that I’m older, I’ve come to LOVE this green vegetable in a myriad of ways, but nothing beats it made into a salad.
I’ve been meaning to make a keto salad, and I thought re-creating my childhood favorite would be a great start.
Now, this isn’t like your traditional broccoli salad, as I’ve substituted a few ingredients to keep them both low carb, dairy free, and vegan. Using yogurt instead of mayonnaise maintains ALL the creaminess, without the fat and calories!
Is broccoli allowed on a keto diet?
I often get asked if broccoli can be eaten in a keto diet, and the answer is YES! Broccoli is packed with fiber and contains very little net carbs.
Per 1 cup serving (91 grams), there are a mere 30 calories, 6 grams of carbs, and a mere 3 grams net carbs.
There are some who say the types of broccoli change the carb count, like Chinese broccoli or cooked broccoli, but the carbs are very negligible.
How do you make a keto broccoli salad?
- Broccoli– Chop your broccoli into bite sized pieces, or as evenly as possible.
- Onions– Gives the salad a slightly sweet flavor, thanks to the caramelization. Use red onions for a more intense flavor.
- Olive Oil– To sauteed and caramelize the onions in.
- Yogurt– A fantastic alternative to sour cream or mayonnaise. Yogurt gives the dressing the creamy texture, without all the fat. I used dairy free yogurt, but any plain yogurt will work.
- Apple cider vinegar– For the dressing. You can use white vinegar, too.
- Mustard– Adds a delicious tang- be sure to use English or French mustard.
- Salt and Pepper- Adds some extra flavor to the dressing.
- Garlic salt– Optional, but gives a slight garlic flavor, without the need for any actual garlic.
- Sliced almonds and pine nuts– Gives some added crunch to the salad and a hint of nuttiness. Use smoked almonds for a more flavorful salad.
Start by blanching your broccoli, until tender and crisp. Let the broccoli sit in the cold water. In a non-stick pan, heat up your olive oil on medium. Once hot, add your sliced onions and fry for 4-5 minutes, until fragrant and caramelized. Remove and place into a bowl, covered. While the onions are cooling, prepare your dressing by whisking together your yogurt, vinegar, mustard and spices. Taste it and add more salt, if needed.
Put together the salad by placing the broccoli into a mixing bowl, along with your onions, and mix well. Drizzle the dressing over it all, until all the broccoli is coated in it. Fold through your sliced almonds, and enjoy.
How do you blanch broccoli
Blanching broccoli is the best way to keep broccoli crisp and tender, WITHOUT it being soggy or soft.
Heat a large pot of water with salt. When it begins to boil, add your chopped broccoli. After 5 minutes, drain the broccoli and submerge in cold water.
You can also microwave it, provided you keep a firm eye on it. Microwave broccoli in a large container, half-filled with water. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, before draining and submerging in water.
Tips for the best broccoli salad
- Chop your broccoli into even pieces, so they all cook evenly.
- Be sure to taste the dressing, to make sure it is salty enough. Sometimes the vinegar might be a little too strong, especially with the added mustard.
- If you aren’t a fan of almonds, you can use cashews or even some pumpkin seeds or pepitas.
- This dish can be made up to 3 days in advance. Just be sure to keep the dressing and the broccoli/onions separate.
Broccoli Salad Flavor Variations
- Protein– Turn your salad into a full meal, by adding some grilled chicken, salmon, crispy bacon, or your favorite protein.
- Cheese– Add a sprinkle of feta or blue cheese, for a more intense flavor.
- Vegetables– Feel free to add any of your other favorite low carb vegetables, like cauliflower, bell peppers, or spinach.
- Plant based protein– Follow a plant based diet? Add some beans, tofu, or tempeh.
How do you store broccoli salad
Broccoli salad should be stored in the refrigerator, in a sealed container. The salad will keep well for up to 5 days.
Do not freeze it.
More keto recipes to try
- Keto Veggie Burgers
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Naan Bread
- Twice Cooked Brussels Sprouts
Keto Broccoli Salad (No mayo!)
- 4 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 cup yogurt * See notes
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or any vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard or any flavorful mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Fill a large saucepan with water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add your chopped broccoli and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the stove and drain it. Submerge the drained broccoli in ice water.
- Preheat a non-stick pan on medium heat, and add the olive oil. When hot, add the sliced onions and sauteed for 5-6 minutes, until brown. Remove from the heat and place them in a bowl. Cover the bowl, to let the onions further caramelize.
- In a mixing bowl, add your yogurt, apple cider vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper, and whisk together, until smooth. Add extra salt, to taste.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add your broccoli, caramelized onions, sliced almonds, and pine nuts, and mix well.
- Pour your dressing over the salad mixture, and mix until the dressing has covered all the broccoli completely. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Your recipes look amazing!! I’m looking forward to try many of them!!
Recipe is very good. All the ingredients facts are with health constructional influence. My only recommendation would be to include cholesterol facts on your sight. Thank you for shari g your recipes.
The Broccoli Salad is delicious. I really like the dressing.
Thank you for the recipe.