These keto soft pretzels are made using fathead dough and baked to perfection. Covered in a sugar free cinnamon sugar, they are low carb and grain free, but you’d never tell. No yeast, 2 net carbs per pretzel.
After making my fathead pizza dough, I wanted to use it to make other delicious keto baked goods. I’d read about how fathead dough can be used to make keto pretzels, so I wanted to try this version out. The beauty of fathead dough is that it is super mild tasting so I had no qualms about any savory flavor coming through.
These keto pretzels taste just like Aunt Annie’s pretzels, minus the carbs and sugar. They are chewy, fluffy and soft, and loaded with cinnamon and sugar flavor. If you’d like a savory pretzel, see my tips below to make original soft pretzels.
I made a few friends try them, and NO ONE could tell they weren’t made with flour or yeast!
How do you make keto soft pretzels?
- Almond Flour– Blanched almond flour, not almond meal. The key to the perfect dough is using the blanched variety.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese– Do not use other kinds of shredded cheese, like cheddar or a blend. Mozzarella cheese is very mild tasting, and won’t be noticeable in the dough.
- Plain yogurt– Any plain yogurt can be used. Alternatively, you can also use sour cream or cream cheese.
- Egg– Holds the dough together. Use room temperature eggs.
- Butter– This will be melted and the soft pretzels will be dipped in it before covering in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cinnamon– Obviously a must for a cinnamon sugar pretzel!
- Granulated sweetener– You can use either monk fruit sweetener or erythritol. I tried using keto powdered sugar and found the sweetener would melt into the butter instead of sticking to it.
Start by preparing your pretzel dough by mixing together your almond flour, melted mozzarella cheese, yogurt, and egg. Mix until completely combined and gently knead to form a ball of dough. Roll out the dough on a flattened surface and divide the dough into 6 portions. Roll out the pieces of dough into a thin, hot dog shape, around 10 inches. Carefully cross the dough over to form a pretzel shape. Bake at 180C/350F for 12 minutes, until golden on top. Remove from the oven and let cool completely, before dipping in the melted butter and covering in the cinnamon and sweetener mixture.
Can I make plain keto pretzels?
Yes, if you’d like to make plain keto pretzels, you can omit the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Instead, lightly brush the tops of the pretzels with melted butter or a whisked egg.
Tips to make the best keto soft pretzels
- Your dough should be smooth and combined, before rolling out into pretzels. You want no remnants of the melted cheese visible throughout.
- Do not overbake the pretzels. They burn quite quickly, so remove when they just look golden brown on top.
- If you’d like sweeter pretzels, you can add some granulated sweetener into the dough. Start with 2 tablespoons, and add more as needed.
- If you’d like to serve this at a party or event, make keto pretzel bites instead. Simply omit folding into a pretzel shape, but rather bite sized pieces of dough. Serve with some softened keto cream cheese frosting.
Storing and Freezing Soft Pretzels
- To store: Leftover soft pretzels should always be stored in the refrigerator, otherwise, they will spoil. Keep them in a covered container or ziplock bag, for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place pretzels in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before enjoying it.
- To reheat: Soft pretzels are best enjoyed warm, so zap in the microwave for 30 seconds or in a toaster oven/oven for 5-6 minutes.
Can I make these pretzels vegan?
More Keto Recipes you’ll enjoy
Keto Soft Pretzels
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon Plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl, add the shredded cheese with yogurt and microwave until the cheese has melted. Whisk into the yogurt.
- Transfer the cheese mixture into the almond flour and add the egg. Mix well, until fully combined. Using your hands, knead the dough until completely combined and form into a ball of dough.
- Transfer the ball of dough onto a kitchen surface. Divide the dough into 6 portions. Roll out each one into a 10-inch hot dog shape. Cross each one into a pretzel shape and place on the lined tray. Bake for 12 minutes, until lightly golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely, before covering in the cinnamon mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together your cinnamon and sweetener, until combined. Once the pretzels are cooled, dip in the melted butter on both sides. Dip the buttered pretzels into the cinnamon mixture until fully coated.