These keto pasta chips are a high protein and low carb twist on the viral TikTok recipe! Ready in just 10 minutes, each serving has just 3 grams net carbs, 12 grams of protein and less than 100 calories!
Pasta chips have taken the internet world by storm. They quickly went viral on TikTok and since then, everyone has been loving it as a crispy and crunchy snack!
As someone who does things a little differently, I like to give healthier makeovers to some of these trends. I did it with other viral recipes, like cookie cereal, cloud bread, and cloud bread pizza. Now, the pasta chips get a keto and protein packed makeover!
Why this pasta chips recipe will be a game changer-
- Low carb and high protein! By using Atkins Penne pasta, each serving has just 6 grams net carbs and over 25 grams of protein! Oh, and the fat content is minimal too.
- A healthier alternative to chips. Unless you want a tiny portion or serving, chips don’t provide you with much satiety. Pasta chips, however, are satisfying, filling, and have a generous portion for a smaller amount of calories.
- Ready in 10 minutes. From prep to plate, this entire recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make.
- Air fryer or oven option. I prefer using an air fryer, but this works in the oven too!
What I love about this recipe is that ANY pasta works. As someone who follows a lower carb and higher protein diet, having a pasta chip that ticks both those boxes has been a game changer. They satisfy my savory smooth, and I love to serve them with some sugar free ketchup or bbq sauce for the ultimate snack!
What are pasta chips made of?
- Low carb pasta– I used the Atkins low carb penne pasta, that looks and tastes like actual penne pasta. You can use any low carb pasta or pasta shape of choice.
- Olive oil– To drizzle over the cooked pasta to help the seasonings stick to them.
- Seasonings– I used a mix of Italian seasonings and smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper– To taste.
- Parmesan cheese– Optional, but add a delicious flavor.
How to make keto pasta chips?
Start by cooking the pasta as per the box directions. Once cooked, drain the pasta, then transfer it into a mixing bowl. Next, add the olive oil and mix until coated. Add the seasonings, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese, and mix until combined.
Now, lightly grease an air fryer basket with cooking spray. Add your seasoned pasta and air fry at 200C/400F for 10 minutes, shaking it thoroughly halfway through. Remove them from the air fryer and enjoy with your favorite condiments.
Can I make pasta chips without an air fryer?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake these pasta chips in the oven.
To make- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Place the seasoned pasta on a lined baking sheet and place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best recipe
- The nutritional information and carb count refers to the Australian/New Zealand/UK brand of Atkins penne pasta. The US blend of it is different.
- Do not overcook your pasta. You want it to be al dente, as it will yield crispy and crunchy chips.
- If your air fryer is on the smaller side, don’t cook all the pasta chips in one go and instead, batch fry them. This will ensure they cook evenly.
- Any pasta shape works. I used low carb penne, but other low carb pasta shapes include elbows, farfalle, and rotini.
Like potato chips, this pasta version can be flavored any way you like! Here are some of my favorites-
- Nachos cheese– Add 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast and sprinkle cheese powder once cooked.
- Sweet and salty– Add salt, pepper, and a pinch of brown sugar substitute.
- Ranch– Sprinkle ranch dressing mix with a pinch of smoked paprika.
- Salt and vinegar– Toss the pasta chips in vinegar BEFORE adding them to the air fryer basket.
- Hot and spicy– Add 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes and/or 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, covered, for up to three days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled pasta chips into a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to two months.
More keto snack recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Pasta chips and potato chips have different nutritional profiles. When made correctly (and using the low carb and high protein pasta), pasta chips are much healthier. They have fewer calories, higher in fiber, and packed with protein.
Pasta chips were invented on the social media platform, TikTok. Since its creation, we have made them with tons of variations.
There are 90 calories per serving of pasta chips. For a nutritional breakdown, this has 3 grams net carbs, 2 grams of fat, and 13 grams of protein.
Keto Pasta Chips (Under 100 calories!)
- 1 cup uncooked keto pasta 100 grams * See notes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese optional
- Cook your pasta as per the box instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta then transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil and toss through the warm pasta. Add the Italian seasonings, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. If using parmesan cheese, add that in at the end and mix well.
- Transfer the pasta into a greased air fryer basket. Air fry the pasta chips at 200C/400F for 8 minutes, shaking halfway through.
- Remove the pasta chips from the air fryer and serve immediately.