These keto cheese chips are a simple and delicious crunchy snack ready in just 10 minutes! Made with 2 ingredients, they are easily customizable and virtually carb free!
Keto Cheese Chips
When I first started following a lower carb diet, I really struggled with snacks. I’ve always been a snacker, and having a little something between meals has been key in keeping my energy levels high. The thing is, I never really snack on sweet things. Sure, if they are around, I’d have an energy ball or a granola bar, but honestly, I prefer things to be a little more savory.
I soon found some great substitutes like slices of cheese and handfuls of raw nuts, but I needed something a little more. As I’ve always been a big fan of cheese snacks, I had to come up with a keto alternative, and I did just that, in the form of cheese chips!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto cheese chips recipe for quite some time. These have been one of my go-to savory snacks, and something I also love serving at parties. Two of my friends have recently started following a low carb diet and have been struggling to find snack ideas, and these have been a game changer for them!
No flour, no potatoes, and no eggs are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is thin, crispy, and extra crunchy. They are salty, cheesy, savory, and can easily be customized with a variety of flavors.
I had some friends over for a party the other day and NO ONE believed me when I said these cheese crisps were keto- They thought they must have had potato or flour in them!
How do you make cheese chips?
- Cheddar cheese– Use shredded cheese, not sliced cheese. The latter will not yield a thin and crispy texture, and burn around the edges.
- Parmesan cheese– Optional, but a little parmesan mixed in gives the crisps a slightly more robust flavor.
Start by generously greasing a non-stick pan or baking sheet. Next, arrange 20-24 mounds of cheddar cheese and place them on the pan. If using parmesan, lightly sprinkle a little bit over each mound.
Now, bake them in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Let them cool on the pan for at least 10 minutes, before removing and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips to make the best keto cheese crisps
- Feel free to use other kinds of cheese. Mozzarella, pepper jack, and Colby cheese are all fantastic options.
- You may need to cook your crisps a little longer if it hasn’t reached the golden brown stage after 10 minutes.
- Grease your lined pan or baking sheet very generously. Even though cheese has natural oils in them, once baked, they are prone to sticking on surfaces.
- Serve cheese chips on their own, or with some keto ketchup or bbq sauce.
While these cheese crisps taste delicious on their own, here are some fun flavor alternatives to also try out.
- Jalapeno– Fold through 1/4 cup finely diced jalapeno peppers to the shredded cheese.
- Ranch– Sprinkle ranch seasoning over the chips once removed from the oven.
- Garlic– Whisk together the cheddar cheese with 1 tablespoon minced garlic.
- Spicy– Add 1 teaspoon each of cayenne pepper, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Nachos cheese– Sprinkle with garlic powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt.
Storing and freezing cheese crisps
- To store: Cheese crisps can be stored at room temperature, in a completely sealed container, for up to 1 week. Any longer than that and it will begin to lose its crispiness.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a vacuum sealed or firm ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More keto snack recipes you’ll enjoy
Keto Cheese Chips
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used cheddar * See notes
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and grease generously. Set aside.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoons of shredded cheese and place them on the greased baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until a deep golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on the sheet for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.