These keto nachos are a low carb and grain free take on the classic Mexican dish! Made with homemade tortilla chips, they take 10 minutes to make! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
If there is one cuisine I could eat for the rest of my life, it would be Mexican food. Growing up, my mom used to make Mexican food at least once a week. It was quick to prepare and relatively healthy, and something the entire family loved. While she typically made tacos or quesadillas, on occasion, she’d make a huge tray of nachos.
Whenever mom made nachos, you’d be guaranteed that there wouldn’t be a crumb left. There’s something incredibly delicious about the combination of tortilla chips, salsa, avocado, and plenty of cheese. When I first moved out of home, I’m pretty sure I made nachos at least once a week. Since going keto, it’s been something I’ve craved so I had to create a low carb version!
I’ve been meaning to share a keto nachos recipe for quite some time. After sharing recipes for all the components of classic nachos (including tortilla chips!), it was imminent for it to happen! Now, these nachos may look incredibly fancy, but they are one foolproof dish. No corn or grains are needed, but you’d never tell. These are truly a texture lovers’ dream- full of crunchy, crispy, gooey, AND smooth ingredients throughout. They are cheesy, savory, and slightly spicy, without being overpowering.
I had some friends over for a big Mexican dinner and NO ONE believed me when I said these were low carb- They tasted like traditional Nachos, if not better!
How do you make keto nachos?
- Keto tortilla chips– Either homemade chips or you can use a store bought variety, like Quest tortilla chips. I prefer to use the latter when I’m in a time pinch!
- Shredded cheese– I used a Mexican cheese blend, but any shredded cheese can be used.
- Salsa– Half will be baked onto the chips and cheese and the other half will be drizzled on after they have been removed from the oven.
- Guacamole– A must for any good Nachos recipe.
- Cheese sauce– Add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to it to give it a Nachos cheese sauce flavor.
- Tomatoes, peppers, and onions– Optional, but freshly chopped vegetables give it some added crunch and flavor.
- Jalapeno peppers– Optional, but only if you are a fan of the spice!
- Sour cream– Drizzle it on at the very end.
Start by layering the tortilla chips onto a lined baking sheet. Next, cover the pan with shredded cheese and half the salsa and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Once the cheese has melted, drop spoonfuls of the guacamole and cheese sauce, followed by the remaining ingredients, and serve immediately.
Tips to make the best low carb nachos
- Oven timing is dependent on how cheesy you want the nachos to be. If you add extra cheese, keep them in the oven longer, until it has melted.
- Do not add the other toppings until the cheese has melted and the tortilla chips are crispy. Otherwise, you’ll be left with warm guacamole and sour cream.
- For an extra boost of protein, add some ground beef or bean chili to it.
- Feel free to switch out the tortilla chips for french fries or crackers.
Storing and reheating nachos
- To store: If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator, completely covered, for up to 3 days. You must remove the avocado from it, otherwise, it will brown and seep into the other ingredients.
- To reheat: Nachos must be reheated, in order for it not to be soggy. Place them in a preheated oven and bake for 6-7 minutes, until warm.
More savory keto recipes to try
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place your tortilla chips on the baking sheet, followed by the shredded cheese, and half the salsa. Transfer the sheet into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the nachos from the oven. Top with spoonfuls of guacamole and the cheese sauce. Sprinkle the freshly chopped vegetables on top, and drizzle with sour cream. Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.