These keto quesadillas are a low carb and grain free take on the classic Mexican favorite! Quick to prepare and absolutely delicious, they are the perfect keto comfort food! 3 grams net carbs per serving.
If I had to pick one food to eat for the rest of my life, it would be a quesadilla. There is something delicious about a crispy tortilla filled with cheese, protein, and dipped in salsa. Before going keto, I used to visit Chipotle at least once a week, getting my quesadilla fix. Now that I’m following a low carb diet, I’ve had to find a keto alternative. Luckily, I’ve started making my own.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto quesadilla recipe for quite some time. It’s been a dinner game changer for me, especially when I can make my own tortillas and taco seasoning! It takes seconds to prep and reminds me so much of Chipotle!
Now, these quesadillas may look incredibly fancy but I promise you, they are so easy to make! No grains or flour are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is crispy on the outside, and soft and creamy on the inside. They are spicy, cheesy, and easily customizable to suit your preferences!
I had some friends over for lunch the other day and made them all quesadillas and NO ONE believed me when I said that they were low carb- They thought it was better than Chipotle’s offerings!
How do you make a keto quesadilla?
- Tortillas– You can use any store bought low carb tortilla, or try your hand at homemade ones.
- Protein of choice– The option is yours! I used grilled chicken, but tofu, steak, and even veggies are great options.
- Shredded cheese– Use a full flavored shredded cheese, like tasty or a Mexican blend.
- Taco seasoning– To give extra flavor. I used homemade keto taco seasoning.
- Onions and peppers– Classic low carb vegetables that are a must for any good quesadilla!
- Sour cream and salsa– To dip in!
Start by placing your tortilla on a chopping board or flat kitchen surface. Next, add your protein of choice, followed by your shredded cheese, taco seasoning, onions, and peppers on half the tortilla, leaving around 1/4 of an inch around the sides of it.
Now, heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot, place the quesadilla on top and cook for 3-4 minutes, before carefully flipping and cooking for a further 3 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the edges are golden brown.
Finally, transfer your quesadilla onto a plate and cut it in half. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Tips to make the best low carb quesadillas
- While stovetop is best, if you have a sandwich press or grill, use that to toast the quesadillas until crispy on the outside and warm on the inside.
- Avoid overstuffing the quesadillas, or else the cheese and fillings will spill out once cut into triangles.
- Feel free to switch out the protein to whatever you have on hand, or even omit it and keep this vegetarian.
Storing and freezing quesadillas
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 3 days. They must be reheated before enjoying.
- To freeze: Place quesadillas in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either reheat in a non-stick pan, air fryer, or even an oven. Avoid microwaving them, or else they will become soggy.
What to serve with quesadillas
- Place olive oil into a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and bell peppers and fry for 2-3 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat.
- Place the tortillas onto a flat surface. Cover half the shredded cheese, protein of choice, and taco seasoning. Divide the onion/peppers mixture on top and fold in half.
- Preheat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Once hot, place the two quesadillas on top and cook for 3-4 minutes, before flipping and cooking for a further 2 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the quesadillas from the heat and slice in half. Serve immediately with salsa and sour cream.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.