This Caramilk slice is a simple and delicious no bake dessert made with just 4 ingredients! No condensed milk and no butter needed, it comes together in minutes and is sure to impress! Gluten free with a vegan option.
No bake desserts are one of my favorites to make. Not only do they not require turning on an oven or a stovetop, they usually need just a handful of ingredients. Recently, I’ve been obsessed with making slices, or more formally known as dessert bars.
A popular dessert throughout Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, slices are sweet bars that are made with a combination of cereals, grains, sweeteners, and a plethora of toppings or fillings. Personally, I love ones made with cereal and yield a sweet and crunchy bar. Recently, I’ve been obsessed with making slices using Caramilk chocolate!
I’ve been meaning to share a Caramilk slice recipe for quite some time. It is one of my favorite no bake desserts, and it uses just 4 ingredients! Now, this Caramilk no bake slice may look incredibly fancy, but I promise you, it is such a simple recipe, you could make it in your sleep!
No butter, no marshmallows, and no oil are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is crispy, crunchy, and topped with a firm Caramilk frosting. It’s sweet and with a subtle Caramilk flavor, without being overpowering.
I had some friends over for afternoon tea and served them this slice and NO ONE believed me when I told them it had no condensed milk or butter in them- They loved how crispy they remained!
How do you make a Caramilk slice?
- Rice crispies/Rice bubbles– Any rice bubble-like cereal can be used. To keep it gluten free, use brown rice crispy cereal.
- Cadbury Caramilk– Either the actual chocolate bar or the Cadbury Caramilk baking chips.
- Maple syrup– If you have access to brown rice syrup or honey, those can also be used.
- Peanut butter– Smooth and creamy peanut butter, with no added sugar. To keep it nut free, use smooth tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- White chocolate– Optional, but to swirl through the Caramilk topping on the slice. I used vegan white chocolate chips.
Start by adding the rice cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside. In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, add the chocolate, maple syrup, and peanut butter and heat until melted. Once melted, pour the mixture over the cereal and mix well, until most of the cereal is coated. Next, transfer into a lined 9 x 13-inch pan and refrigerate it.
Now, in a microwave safe bowl, combine extra peanut butter and Caramilk chocolate and melt together. Whisk until combined, and spread over the top of the slice. If desired, swirl through melted vegan white chocolate for aesthetic purposes.
Tips to make the best no bake Caramilk slice
- Be sure to keep a firm eye on the chocolate when it is melting, as it can go from firm to melted VERY fast.
- If you want an even sweeter slice, replace the peanut butter with Lotus Biscoff spread.
- For a vegan Caramilk slice, replace the Caramilk chocolate with a vegan white chocolate bar.
Storing and freezing Caramilk rice bubble slice
- To store: Caramilk slice will keep well at room temperature, covered, for up to 2 weeks. Store it in the refrigerator if you’d like them to keep longer.
- To freeze: Place the leftover slices in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More no bake dessert recipes to try
For the slice
For the frosting
- 1 cup Caramilk chocolate chocolate bar or baking chips
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon white chocolate Optional * See notes
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, add the rice cereal and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, combine your caramilk chocolate, peanut butter, and maple syrup, and heat until the chocolate has melted. Whisk together, until smooth.
- Transfer the melted Caramilk mixture into the cereal and mix well, until combined. Transfer into the lined baking pan and press down until even and smooth. Place the pan in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the frosting. In a microwave safe bowl or stovbetop, combine the Caramilk chocolate with the peanut butter and heat until the chocolate has melted. Whisk together, and pour over the slice mixture. If desired, melt the white chocolate and add swirls to the melted Caramilk/peanut butter topping. Place back in the refrigerator for at least two hours, to firm up.