Learn how to make homemade kit kat using just 5 ingredients and ready in 5 minutes! Easy, delicious, and seriously addictive!
The best kit kat bars
Ever tried making your own candy before? It’s so much easier than you think and you’ll love just how much more delicious they are. Honestly, we’ve stopped buying them after seeing just how easy it is!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- 5 Ingredients. Have you looked at the package of a standard kit kat? Well, you’d see that they have a laundry list of ingredients! These ones? Just 5.
- No baking required. The hard part about this recipe is waiting for them to set.
- Quick and easy. Less than 5 minutes hands on time and honestly, that’s being generous.
- Healthy. Okay, so healthier may be a better term, but these are naturally sweetened and have no butter.
What I love about this recipe is just how much they actually taste like kit kat! Crispy, sweet, and full of chocolate flavor, you’ll never buy them from the store again!
You’ll love the short and simple ingredient list to make this recipe. You can find everything at your local grocery store and its super affordable. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chex cereal. The secret ingredient which gives the bars the gorgeous kit kat texture. You can also use mini vanilla or chocolate wafers.
- Peanut butter. Creamy peanut butter or any nut/seed butter of choice.
- Maple syrup. You can also use agave nectar or honey.
- Coconut oil. Refined coconut oil has no coconut flavor. The addition of this makes the chocolate extra creamy and easy to bite into.
- Chocolate. Either a chocolate bar (chopped) or chocolate chips.
How to make a kit kat bar
Making homemade kit kat bars is ridiculously quick and easy, and need just one bowl.
Step 1- Prep the cereal
The easiest way to make them is to place your dry cereal in a large mixing bowl. Set that aside, as you won’t need it until the very end.
Step 2- Melt the ingredients
Find a large microwave-safe bowl or a large saucepan. Place ALL your other ingredients into them, and heat/microwave until melted. Whisk it well.
Step 3- Let the candy set
Finally, you’ll pour the melted mixture over the dry cereal and mix well (with a spatula!) until fully combined. Transfer everything into a lined square pan, and refrigerate until it is firm.
Tips to make the best recipe
- If you don’t own a microwave, you can melt the chocolate, maple syrup, coconut oil, and peanut butter together in a small saucepan using the double boiler method. Once melted, fold through the cereal.
- Use a slightly wet knife when cutting them into pieces.
- If you refrigerate the bars, let them sit at room temperature for several minutes before enjoying.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
What we love about this homemade kit kat recipe is how easy it is to adjust it to be suitable to other diets out there. This is what we’ve tested successfully-
- Use butter instead of oil. If you are allergic to coconut, you can substitute it with equal parts of butter.
- Make them gluten free. Use gluten free chex cereal or any gluten free crispy cereal of choice.
- Make them vegan. Use vegan chocolate chips instead of dairy-based ones.
- Swap out the peanut butter. Use smooth almond butter or cashew butter, or keep it nut free by using tahini or sunflower seed butter.
- Add mix-ins. Chopped nuts, seeds, or even caramel are all fantastic additions.
If you’d like to store these at room temperature, keep them covered at they will last for at least two weeks.
For those who want to keep them longer, store them in the refrigerator and they’ll keep for up to up to two months.
These are also freezer friendly! Place leftovers in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More candy recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
There are just 123 calories per serving.
If you’d like to use wafers instead of Chex cereal, you are welcome to do so.
Kit Kat Bars With 5 Ingredients | Ready In 5 Minutes
- Line an 8 x 8-inch deep dish or deep baking tray of choice with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add Rice Chex cereal in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, combine all your other ingredients and heat until melted. Remove from microwave/off stove and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Pour the wet mixture over the Rice Chex cereal and mix until combined. Pour into the lined baking dish and refrigerate until firm (at least an hour). Remove and cut into bars.