These bounty bars, or mound bars, are an easy candy recipe made with just 4 ingredients. No dairy needed and completely vegan!
Bounty chocolate bars
Bounty bars, or for my American friends, Mound Bars, are essentially a delicious chocolate coconut candy bar. A sweet, coconut center, covered in chocolate. They are one of my all-time favorite candy bars, and actually, super simple to whip up!
I thought bounty chocolate was popular around the world, but it seems to be dominant in Australia and the United Kingdom! One of my friends is OBSESSED with all things chocolate and coconut, so I thought what better way to surprise her than make a batch of healthier homemade bounty bars!
Now, these vegan chocolate coconut bars may look incredibly fancy, but they are SO simple to prepare and require zero baking or fancy kitchen ingredients.
No dairy, flour, or grains needed, but you’d never tell. The coconut filling is soft and smooth, with a tender chocolate shell covering it all. It’s full of coconut flavor, which is balanced by the sweetness of the chocolate.
I brought these to a gathering a few days ago and NO ONE believed me when I said that they were a vegan copycat of bounty bars- They tasted like the real deal!
How do you make mound bars?
- Shredded coconut– Shredded unsweetened coconut, with no added sugar. If you can find desiccated coconut (often called macaron style coconut flakes), those are even better, as they are a much finer consistency.
- Powdered sugar– Gives the bounty some sweetness, but also holds the filling together. For a sugar free option, use sugar free powdered sugar.
- Coconut condensed milk– The secret ingredient! This holds the filling together, while giving it a chewy, gooey texture.
- Vegan chocolate– Either vegan chocolate chips or your favorite dairy free chocolate bar, chopped.
Start by whisking together your shredded coconut and powdered sugar in a large bowl. Add the coconut condensed milk and mix very well, until a thick texture remains. Next, lightly wet your hands and shape the coconut filling into 3-inch logs. Place them on a plate and freeze them for 20 minutes.
Now, melt the chocolate until smooth. Remove the coconut logs from the freezer and, using two forks, dip them in the melted chocolate until fully coated. Repeat the process until all the coconut has been covered. Refrigerate them for 20 minutes until the chocolate has firmed up.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Using a finely milled coconut helps hold the coconut filling easier. If you’ve got some extra time and only have traditional shredded coconut, simply blend your coconut until a more powder-like consistency.
- Use two forks to dip the coconut bars in the melted chocolate, to make it much easier.
- If you’d like to make these lower carb, make keto bounty bars.
Storing and freezing instructions
- To store: Leftovers can be stored at room temperature, in a sealed container, for up to 2 weeks. You can store them in the refrigerator if you’d like them to keep for longer.
- To freeze: Line a container with parchment paper and place bounty bars in there. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More candy Recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Mounds bar, like any candy bar, aren’t the healthiest option to enjoy regularly, but are a delicious treat to enjoy occasionally.
Compared to other candy bars, bounty bars are one of the healthier choices, as they are lower in sugar. However, they are still something to enjoy on special occasions, not regularly.
Bounty bars are available in specialty shops, however, you can enjoy a mounds bar instead. The only difference is the name- the filling, flavor, and ingredients are exactly the same.
Vegan Bounty Bars (4 ingredients)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the shredded coconut and powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add the coconut condensed milk and mix until a thick batter remains.
- Lightly wet your hands and form small, 4-inch logs of the coconut filling. Place them on a lined plate and freeze for ten minutes.
- Melt your chocolate. Using two forks, dip the coconut in the melted chocolate until fully coated.
- Place the mound bars on a lined plate and refrigerate until the chocolate has firmed up.