Eggless brownies- Rich and fudgy brownies that have chewy edges and crinkle tops! Made without eggs or dairy, they take less than 30 minutes to make!
There is nothing more delicious than a gooey and fudgy brownie, especially if they have crinkly tops. They are my number one dessert when I need something sweet or need something with chocolate…or both.
Now, traditional brownies tend to use butter and eggs, but not these ones! This eggless brownie recipe is a little bit different. It needs just a handful of ingredients and has no butter or eggs in them. They also don’t need any dairy whatsoever, relying on Baker’s chocolate and coconut condensed milk!
The texture is extra gooey and fudgy, and takes less than 20 minutes to make! They are full of chocolate flavor and have those crickle tops that are mandatory!
I went to my friend’s dinner party and was on dessert duty and served them these brownies and NO ONE believed me when I told them they were eggless!
How do you make eggless brownies?
- Self rising flour– Also known as self raising flour, it’s simply a combination of all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. I never buy the overpriced grocery store kind and prefer making my own (it’s so easy to do!).
- Cocoa powder– Dutch processed or 100% unsweetened cocoa powder. I prefer using Hershey’s Cocoa Powder, as it always yields gorgeous crinkly tops.
- Superfine sugar– Also known as caster sugar. The finer sugar consistency will guarantee a smoother batter which in turn yields even more gooey brownies.
- Chocolate– Use your favorite baking chocolate, like semi-sweet, dark, or extra dark (70% cocoa content). I prefer the latter, to keep them vegan. I always reserve a handful to fold through at the end.
- Condensed milk– I used coconut condensed milk but traditional condensed milk and even sugar free condensed milk will work.
- Oil of choice– Any neutral flavored oil. I prefer using vegetable oil or sunflower oil.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will work.
Start by adding the flour, cocoa powder, and superfine sugar to a large mixing bowl and mix together. In a microwave safe bowl, add the chopped chocolate and microwave in 20-second bursts until melted. Add in the condensed milk, oil, and milk, and whisk together until combined. Next, combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold through the extra chocolate at the end.
Now, transfer the brownie batter into a lined pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing and serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- These brownies are eggless, so don’t fret if they seem a little undercooked- You can get away with them being ultra gooey.
- Do not overmix the batter, as it can impact how gorgeous the crinkle tops will be. Once there are no pockets of flour, they are mixed enough.
- Top the brownies will extra chopped chocolate for even more chocolate throughout!
Dietary swaps and flavor variations
The beauty of these brownies are is how easy they are to adapt to various diets. You can even change up some of the ingredients to change the flavors!
- Ensure they are vegan! I kept this recipe completely vegan by using specific ingredients. These include coconut condensed milk (as pictured), plant based milk (almond milk), and vegan chocolate.
- Make them gluten free. Use a gluten free self rising flour, like the Dove Farms brand. I cannot vouch for other brands as I haven’t had success with them.
- Make them dairy free. Be sure to use coconut condensed milk and use dairy free chocolate and milk.
- Add frosting. Take these brownies up a notch by adding some chocolate frosting or healthy frosting.
- Add mix-ins. Chopped walnuts, pecans, and even cherries or strawberries are all fantastic additions.
Storing and freezing brownies
- To store: Leftover brownies can keep at room temperature, covered, for up to 1 week. If you’d prefer thicker and cakier brownies, refrigerate them and they will keep for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place brownies in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More eggless dessert recipes to try
- 1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar caster sugar
- 1 14 oz can coconut condensed milk or traditional condensed milk
- 5 tablespoon oil I used vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons chocolate divided
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your flour, cocoa powder, and superfine sugar and mix together. In a microwave-safe bowl, add one cup of the chocolate and microwave in 20-second spurts until melted. Add the condensed milk, oil, and milk and whisk together until smooth. Combine your wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold through the remaining chocolate.
- Transfer the brownie batter into the lined pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and let them cool completely, before slicing and serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.