Learn how to make fluffy and light pancakes without eggs. These eggless pancakes make a fabulous breakfast and are naturally vegan and gluten free!
Run out of eggs but craving a big stack of pancakes? This eggless pancake recipe is a savior. They come together quickly and use basic pantry ingredients.
What does an egg do in pancakes?
Eggs are considered essential for the structure of pancakes. They make the pancakes soft, hold the bubbles and make the pancakes rise when cooked. Egg yolk contains fat that adds richness and flavor to pancakes. They also contribute to the color of the pancakes.
However, when substituted correctly (like in this recipe!) eggless pancakes can turn out just as perfectly.
Why does this eggless pancake recipe work?
- Tastes like actual pancakes. Eggs don’t contribute to the taste of pancakes, but rather their structure. These taste like any good pancake out there.
- Quick and easy. From prep to plate, these pancakes take less than 10 minutes to whip up.
- Healthy. No artificial ingredients or egg substitutes are needed: just wholesome and simple pantry staple basics.
Pancakes are simple creatures: a delicious breakfast made with flour, milk, and oil. Because we are skipping the eggs, we include a leavening agent to ensure they rise properly. Here’s what you’ll need to make an eggless pancake:
- All purpose flour. Be sure to sift the flour carefully to ensure there are no clumps throughout.
- Baking powder. Adds some rise and fluffiness to the pancakes.
- Salt. Just a pinch to balance out the other ingredients.
- Sugar. White or brown sugar work.
- Milk. I used unsweetened almond milk but any milk works.
- Oil. Any neutral flavored oil.
How to make eggless pancakes?
No egg pancakes are simple to make: Just remember to allow 5 minutes for the batter to sit, as this helps them thicken up. Here’s the basic idea for how to make pancakes without eggs (or see the recipe below for specifics):
- Make the batter: Take a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix. Then add wet ingredients to make a batter. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes to thicken before making pancakes.
- Cook the pancakes: Add oil to a pan and add some pancake mixture to the pan to make pancakes. Let each side cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden while flipping. Repeat the process until all pancakes are made.
- Serve: You can serve eggless pancakes with butter, maple syrup, or your favorite topping.
Tips for success
Remember the following tips to make the best pancakes without eggs:
- Do not over-mix the batter, as this can affect how fluffy they become.
- Always make fresh batter every time. Leftover batter will not rise as it becomes thick.
- Cook pancakes over medium heat; high heat can burn them, which will change the texture.
- Avoid overcrowding the pan and instead cook the pancakes in batches.
Change up the flavor of the pancakes by folding through some fruit, nuts, or chocolate! Here are some ideas to try:
- Chocolate chips
- Coconut flakes
- Peanut butter
Wondering what is the best way to store eggless pancakes? Here are best practices for pancake storage:
- To store: Add the leftovers to an air-tight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: Place the cooked and cooled pancakes in a ziplock bag and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Microwave the pancakes for 10-20 seconds or reheat in a non-stick pan.
More eggless recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Eggs act as a binder and give pancakes a good shape, and enhance the texture of pancakes.
If you over-mix the batter or let it sit for too long, you risk the pancakes becoming gummy.
Mixing baking soda and vinegar is a fantastic egg substitute. For this recipe, though, we use baking powder instead.
Replace the flour with an equal amount Bisquick.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour gluten free, if needed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons oil any neutral flavored oil
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the wet ingredients and mix and let the batter sit for 5 minutes, to thicken.
- Add cooking spray to a pan and scoop out portions of the batter. Cover the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the edges are bubbling and becoming golden. Flip and cook until done.
- Repeat the process until all the pancake batter has been used up.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
Can almond flour be used?
Not for this 🙂
Great pancakes. Very fluffy and delicious.
Best pancakes I’ve ever made! I dont like pancakes with eggs because i find they get eggy. These are perfect cracker barrel pancake dupes!
I used 1 tablespoon of baking powder and they were still amazing! Total hit with the family. I’m going to try this with my waffle iron. Thanks for a simple delicious recipe.