This healthy black forest cake is a single serving and low carb cake loaded with cherries and chocolate! Moist and fluffy, it takes just one minute in the microwave or 10 minutes in the oven!
Keto Black Forest Cake
We love our mug cake recipes here. We’ve had a lemon poppy seed mug cake, blueberry muffin mug cake, and a simple lemon mug cake. With the cherry season right around the corner, it’s time for some cherry action to take the stage.
Cherry cobblers, cherry dump cakes, and cherry Bakewells are some of my favorite cherry desserts. However, nothing comes close to the chocolate and cherry combination.
This black forest cake was inspired by my favorite gluten free black forest cake. The texture is moist and fluffy, and has a light tender crumb. The taste is just like any black forest cake out there- Rich, sweet, and bursting with mouthfuls of cherries.
While cherries aren’t technically a keto and low carb fruit, the amount used in this low carb black forest cake is minimal, and only contains 3 grams net carbs!
How to make a gluten free black forest cake
- Almond Flour– Blanched almond flour works much better than almond meal. It has a lighter texture, keeping this black forest mug cake super fluffy.
- Coconut Flour– Works with the almond flour to give a cakey texture. Do not omit or substitute for something else.
- Cocoa Powder– Use dark cocoa powder for a rich, chocolate flavor.
- Baking powder– Gives the mug cake some rise.
- Granulated Sweetener of choice– Both monk fruit sweetener and erythritol work. I prefer the monk fruit as it is most similar to sugar.
- Egg or substitute– Use a room temperature egg. See my tips below to make this a vegan black forest cake.
- Milk of choice– I used unsweetened almond milk, but any milk will work.
- Cherries– Fresh or frozen can be used. Be sure to remove the pips!
- Chocolate Chips– Optional, but gives a lovely extra dose of chocolate!
Step 1- Grease a wide mug or microwave-safe cereal bowl and set aside.
Step 2- In a small mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your egg (or substitute) and whisk into the batter. Using a tablespoon, add milk one tablespoon at a time, until a very thick batter remains.
Step 3- Transfer the cherry mug cake batter into the greased mug/cereal bowl. Fold in your cherries and chocolate chips. Microwave in 30-second spurts, until the mug cake is fully cooked.
Step 4- Remove mug cake from the oven and allow to sit for 1-minute, before enjoying.
If you don’t use a microwave or choose not to use one, you can easily make this cherry mug cake in the oven or toaster oven.
Simply preheat the oven to 180C/350F and follow the microwave directions. The only difference is to transfer the batter to an oven-safe ramekin (6-8 inches works best) and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Vegan Black Forest Cake option
You can easily make this gluten free black forest cake vegan by replacing the egg with either ground chia seeds (1 tablespoon) or unsweetened applesauce.
Please note that if you make the vegan option, your mug cake will not rise as much, and be incredibly moist in the center.
More healthy mug cake recipes
Keto Black Forest Cake (GF)
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1- tablespoon granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg or 1 tablespoon ground chia seed or applesauce
- 1/4 cup milk of choice * See notes
- 4-5 large cherries
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips of choice optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the dairy free milk with the egg (or flax egg) and whisk with the vanilla extract. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. If the batter is still crumbly, continue adding dairy free milk one tablespoon at a time, until a thick batter is formed.
- Grease a microwave or oven safe bowl and generously and pour the batter. Fold in your cherries and chocolate chips. Microwave in 30-second spurts until it is fully cooked.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before topping with optional whipped cream and enjoy!
- Follow directions as above but bake in a preheated toaster oven or oven for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.