An easy and simple chocolate cherry mug cake recipe that is keto friendly, low carb and ready in less than a minute! Moist on the inside, tender on the outside, this cherry mug cake is bursting with tart cherries! It is also paleo, vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
Cherry Mug Cake
We love our mug cake recipes here. We’ve had a lemon poppy seed mug cake, blueberry muffin mug cake, and a simple lemon mug cake. With the cherry season right around the corner, it’s time for some cherry action to take the stage.
Cherry cobblers, cherry dump cakes, and cherry Bakewells are some of my favorite cherry desserts. However, nothing comes close to the chocolate and cherry combination.
This chocolate cherry mug cake is the perfect single serving dessert that is secretly healthy. It’s made with low carb and grain-free flours, making it suitable for a keto, paleo, and low carb diet. It also comes with an egg-free option, which makes it perfect for my vegan friends out there!
Cherry Mug Cake Ingredients
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking powder
- Granulated Sweetener of choice
- Egg or substitute
- Milk of choice
- Chocolate Chips
Please try not to substitute out any of the ingredients, as the combination of almond flour and coconut flour yield the delicious cake-like texture. Reducing, omitting or swapping out of them will not work, and I cannot vouch for any other alternatives.
How to make a keto cherry chocolate mug cake
Step 1- Grease a wide mug or microwave-safe cereal bowl and set aside.
Step 2- In a small mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your egg (or substitute) and whisk into the batter. Using a tablespoon, add milk one tablespoon at a time, until a very thick batter remains.
Step 3- Transfer the cherry mug cake batter into the greased mug/cereal bowl. Fold in your cherries and chocolate chips. Microwave in 30-second spurts, until the mug cake is fully cooked.
Step 4- Remove mug cake from the oven and allow to sit for 1-minute, before enjoying.
How to bake the mug cake in the oven
If you don’t use a microwave or choose not to use one, you can easily make this cherry mug cake in the oven or toaster oven.
Simply preheat the oven to 180C/350F and follow the microwave directions. The only difference is to transfer the batter to an oven-safe ramekin (6-8 inches works best) and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
Fresh or Frozen Cherries
Using fresh cherries and frozen cherries both work well.
If you use fresh cherries, be sure to remove the pips. If you use frozen cherries, ensure they are thawed out completely and soak up any excess moisture.
How to make the mug cake eggless
You can easily make this mug cake eggless/vegan by replacing the egg with either ground chia seeds (1 tablespoon) or unsweetened applesauce.
Please note that if you make the vegan option, your mug cake will not rise as much, and be incredibly moist in the center.
More healthy mug cake recipes
Keto Chocolate Cherry Mug Cake
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the dairy free milk with the egg (or flax egg) and whisk with the vanilla extract. Add the mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined. If the batter is still crumbly, continue adding dairy free milk one tablespoon at a time, until a thick batter is formed.
- Grease a microwave or oven safe bowl and generously and pour the batter. Fold in your cherries and chocolate chips. Microwave in 30-second spurts until it is fully cooked.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before topping with optional whipped cream and enjoy!
- Follow directions as above but bake in a preheated toaster oven or oven for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Did you ever have ‘those family friends’ growing up?
Did you wait until you were 13 to watch a PG13 movie (or my Australian friends- M15+)?