This healthy cheesecake is so smooth, rich, and creamy, you won’t believe it’s made with Greek yogurt! No sugar and no butter needed, it’s elegant and guilt free! Less than 100 calories per serving.
Over the past year or so, I’ve kind of let things slip in the healthy eating department. Too much work and too little exercising, and I’ve found myself craving more and more sweets. The sad reality is, I work with desserts every day so I have an abundance of them on hand.
Luckily, I’m not the kind of person who deprives themselves. I know I like something sweet after dinner, so I’m now opting to make smarter choices. Giving healthier makeovers to some of my favorite desserts has really helped me get back on track. While I typically enjoy something chocolate based, I’ve recently loved making a healthier version of my favorite cheesecake.
I’ve been meaning to share a healthy cheesecake recipe for quite some time. It’s the perfect quick and easy dessert to make when I’m trying to be good but NEED something sweet. It uses healthy and wholesome ingredients but tastes incredible.
No sugar and no butter are needed, but you’d never tell. The texture is extra smooth and creamy, and incredibly rich. It’s sweet and with a subtle vanilla flavor, without being overpowering.
My sister, who has the world’s biggest sweet tooth, came over for dessert and she could NOT believe this cheesecake was healthy- She thought it had to be full of fat and sugar!
How do you make a healthy cheesecake
- Cookie crust– A simple combination of homemade, crushed up sugar free cookies mixed with melted butter.
- Greek yogurt– Non fat or low fat Greek yogurt. Try to use a brand that is naturally thick, so it will give the cheesecake some extra stability.
- Cream cheese– Not fat cream cheese, preferably from a block, not a spread. The latter often has added water or liquids in it, which can affect the overall texture and cooking time of the cheesecake.
- Eggs– Room temperature.
- Granulated sweetener of choice– Any granulated sweetener can be used. To keep the calories and carbs down, I opted to use erythritol.
- All purpose flour– Thickens the filling so it does not fall apart once it is out of the oven.
- Vanilla extract– Just a dash to give a light vanilla flavor throughout.
- Salt– Balances the other ingredients and brings out the sweetness.
Start by preparing the crust by mixing the crushed up cookies with the melted butter. Transfer the mixture into a springform cake pan and refrigerate it while you prepare the filling. Next, add the cheesecake filling ingredients into a high speed blender and blend well, until smooth. Transfer into the cake pan and spread out until even on top.
Now, place the cheesecake into the oven and bake at 170C/325F for 45-50 minutes, or until it has set in the middle. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool to room temperature, before refrigerating it for at least 4 hours, to firm up.
Tips to make the best low calorie cheesecake
- If you’d like this to be a crustless cheesecake, omit the crust and bake it in a lined square pan for 35-40 minutes, or until the center is cooked.
- Once the cheesecake is out of the oven, cover it completely, to avoid any cracking on top.
- I used homemade sugar free cookies for the crust, to cut the calories and sugar. You can use a pre-made crust or even a graham cracker crust if you prefer.
Storing and freezing Greek yogurt cheesecake
- To store: Cheesecake must always be stored in the refrigerator, covered. It will keep well for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze: Place the cheesecake in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More healthy dessert recipes to try
For the crust
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F.
- In a mixing bowl, add your crushed cookies, sweetener, and melted butter and whisk together until combined. Transfer into a greased 8-inch springform cake pan.
- Add the cheesecake filling ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Transfer onto the cheesecake crust.
- Place the cheesecake in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the middle is set.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool completely, before refrigerating for at least 4 hours, to firm up.