A copycat recipe of one of the most delicious candy and chocolate bars out there- The Bounty Bar (Mound bar!). This version requires no baking and bonus- It’s paleo, vegan, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free!
Niki- this one’s for you.
The day Niki got her license, we went out to celebrate with a good meal and movie. By good meal and movie, I mean Nandos chicken and chips and the second session of Harry Potter. Okay, so it was probably not so much a celebration than a bored Saturday night. I digress.
Niki was ‘celebrating’ finally obtaining her driver’s licence.
I, however, was celebrating not being her chauffeur anymore.
It’s not that I didn’t enjoy driving THAT much- I actually don’t mind it. It was the little ‘gifts’ she would leave after every. Single. Trip.
Sometimes it was her lip gloss.
Sometimes it was a few coins (they became donations in my glove box).
Most of the time, it was empty bounty wrappers. Those infamous, shiny blue and white wrappers would be enrobed within my carseats, behind the seats and even occasionally in the boot. Don’t ask me how they got there. Niki had no excuses. Believe me, she tried.
She literally used every excuse in the book.
‘Its not mine, It’s mums.’ (Mum hates coconut)
‘It’s not mine, it’s Ingrid’s. (Ingrid prefers gummy candy. She also has had invisalign treatment)
‘the wind blew it in.’ (How obscure- always the same chocolate….)
‘It’s not mine. It’s Christine’s. (…..Christine is diabetic)
Safe to say, Niki thought I was a twat but she was wrong. Sorry Niki- it was all you.
When I was back in Melbourne, we went for a drive in her car and let’s just say there was no room for me to leave any ‘gifts’- I tried with a cookie wrapper from the aeroplane, a gum wrapper and even a pen. Nope.
I could be all fancy schamcy and say that this recipe was created out of those ‘lovely’ car memories but that would be a lie. Because a recipe this good cannot be ascertained from those kind of memories.
Although a bounty bar typically is made of sugar, milk chocolate, coconut, sugar and sucre (French for sugar), I took it upon myself to give it a healthy makeover without sacrificing on taste. Let’s chuck a challenge and make it paleo too. That means it makes the Vegans happy, the gluten intolerant happy and the grain free advocates happy.
The best bit? These are so easy to whip up and with just 5 ingredients– you’ve probably got them already in your pantry. And before you say ‘those aren’t bars- they are balls’- Technically, they are not balls because they came out obscurely. So deal with it.
They are bars. Obscure bars.
- 1 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (adjust to sweetness desired)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1/4-1/2 cup almond breeze almond milk*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 1 x block dark dairy free chocolate, melted
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flour, shredded coconut, coconut sugar and sea salt and stir until combined. Slowly add the almond milk until a thick, firm dough is formed.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate.
- Line a plate with baking paper. Form bite sized chunks of the coconut centre. Using two forks, dip the chunks in the melted chocolate coating completely and set aside on the plate. Repeat until all the coconut centre is used up. Refrigerate for at least an hour, until the chocolate exterior and firmed up.
- * Depending on the brand of coconut flour you use, you may need more. Keep adding until a thick dough is formed.
- These copycat bounty bars can be kept at room temperature without melting- they are just as good refrigerated.
Linking up with these amazing parties- #recipeoftheweek, RealfoodWednesdays, Share your stuff Tuesdays, simple supper Tuesdays and Gluten Free Wednesdays, and what’s cookin’ Wednesdays,#glutenfreefridays, glutenfreetuesdays with some weekend pot luck lovin
Have you ever had any ‘gifts’ constantly left in your car?
Messy car or clean car?
Have you ever eaten a bounty bar?Keep in touch with me:
Twitter -> @thebigmansworld
Instagram – > thebigmansworld
Facebook – > thebigmansworld
Pinterest -> thebigmansworld
Bloglovin’ -> thebigmansworld