Learn how to make crispy air fryer chicken wings in less than 10 minutes! A secret trick guarantees perfectly cooked wings every single time.
As someone who loves fried chicken wings, this air fryer chicken wings recipe is an absolute game-changer!
You get crispy and juicy wings that cook up in a fraction of the time, and you skip out on using all the excessive oil WITHOUT sacrificing flavor or texture.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
- Works with fresh or frozen wings. While fresh wings are preferred, frozen wings can work!
- Ready in 10 minutes. With no need to marinate the chicken, these wings take less than 10 minutes to cook!
- Crispy outside, tender inside. Like its fried counterpart, the texture is everything you’d want with chicken wings. A secret ingredient guarantees crispy wings every single time.
- Easy to customize. While delicious on their own, you can toss them through your favorite dipping or marinade sauces for the ultimate flavor explosion!
What we love about this recipe is that it’s versatile enough for a quick weeknight dinner but works well for appetizers or entertaining too.
Chicken wings in the air fryer are so easy and besides the chicken and some seasonings, there isn’t much else needed to make. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken wings- Use a mix of wings and drumettes. While frozen chicken wings will work, fresh is always better and guarantees a crispy exterior.
- Olive oil- Enhances the crispy skin and keeps the juices intact.
- Brown sugar- A touch of brown sugar caramelizes the exterior and gives the skin an even crispier texture.
- Smoked paprika- Adds a lovely smoky flavor.
- Salt and pepper- To taste.
- Baking powder– The secret ingredient to guarantee crispy chicken wings, but don’t fret- you won’t taste anything metallic or acidic whatsoever!
How to make air fryer chicken wings
Crispy air fryer chicken wings may look incredibly fancy, but they are one of the easiest things to cook.
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F and lightly grease the air fryer basket.
- Season the chicken wings: Toss the wings with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Air fry the wings: Add a single layer of chicken wings to the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Garnish and serve: Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve with dipping sauces.
Can I bake these?
You can totally bake these chicken wings if you don’t own an air fryer. Baked chicken wings are just as crispy and juicy and like the air fryer, don’t need excess oil or butter to cook.
To bake, prep the chicken as instructed. Place them on a lined baking sheet and bake at 200C/400F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Arrange in a single layer: Make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket so the hot air can cook the skin to ultimate crispiness.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature: Use room temperature chicken wings, as it will help the wings cook evenly.
- Dry the wings: Ensure you pat dry the chicken before adding the seasonings, or else you risk the wings not cooking properly.
Chicken wings are one of the most versatile cuts of chicken and can be flavored in a plethora of sauces, seasonings, or spice mixes. Here are some ideas:
- Add buffalo sauce. Toss the wings through 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce before adding them to the air fryer basket.
- Lemon pepper. Like lemon pepper wings, swap out the smoked paprika and sugar for lemon salt.
- Barbecue glazed. Remove the wings from the air fryer 3/4 of the way through, toss through the BBQ sauce, then continue cooking until sticky and fragrant.
- Cajun chicken wings. Add one tablespoon of Cajun seasoning to the seasoning mix.
To Store: Leftover wings can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
To Freeze: Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for six months.
Reheating: Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
More air fryer chicken recipes to try
- Air fryer chicken breast
- Air fryer chicken thighs
- Air fryer whole chicken
- Air fryer chicken drumsticks
- Air fryer chicken tenderloins
- Air fryer BBQ chicken
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken wings should take less than ten minutes to cook when prepared as instructed.
For extra crispy wings, do not omit the baking powder added to the chicken wing mixture. You won’t taste it, but it yields the crispiest wings ever.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the wings. They should be 165F/90C.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Lightly grease an air fryer basket, Preheat the air fryer to 190C/375F.
- Pat dry the chicken wings ensuring there is no moisture.
- Toss the wings in a bowl with olive oil. Add the remaining seasonings and mix well.
- Add the wings to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 9-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the wings from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.