Learn how to make crispy air fryer chicken wings in less than 10 minutes! A secret trick guarantees perfectly cooked wings every single time.
See my guide on how to use an air fryer
Using your air fryer to cook chicken is a game changer. Gone are the days of dry and rubbery chicken.
We air fry all parts of chicken, including the breast, thighs, tenderloins, and drumsticks. Recently, we’ve added chicken wings to the mix.
They are just like baked chicken wings with a shorter cooking time!
Table of Contents
- Why you’ll love this recipe
- Ingredients needed
- How to make chicken wings in the air fryer
- Tips to make the best recipe
- What to serve with chicken wings?
- Storage instructions
- Recommended tools to make this recipe
- More air fryer recipes to try
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings (Extra Crispy!)
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Works with fresh or frozen wings. Like smoked chicken wings, while fresh wings are preferred, frozen wings can work!
- Ready in 10 minutes. With no need to marinate the chicken, these wings take less than 10 minutes to cook!
- Crispy outside, tender inside. Similar to its fried counterpart, the texture is everything you’d want with chicken wings. A secret ingredient guarantees crispy wings every single time.
What I love about these air fried wings is how easy they are to customize. While delicious on their own, you can toss them through some bulgogi, eel, or even katsu sauce to change up the flavors.
This recipe calls for very basic pantry staples to put together. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken wings- Use a mix of wings and drumettes. While frozen chicken wings will work, fresh is always better and guarantees a crispy exterior.
- Olive oil- Enhances the crispy skin and keeps the juices intact.
- Brown sugar- A touch of brown sugar caramelizes the exterior and gives the skin an even crispier texture.
- Smoked paprika- Adds a lovely smoky flavor.
- Salt and pepper- To taste.
- Baking powder– The secret ingredient to guarantee crispy chicken wings (just like lemon pepper, garlic parmesan, and keto chicken wings!).
How to make chicken wings in the air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 200C/400F and lightly grease the air fryer basket.
- Season the chicken wings: Toss the wings with olive oil, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Air fry the wings: Add a single layer of chicken wings to the air fryer basket and cook for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Garnish and serve: Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley and serve with dipping sauces.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Arrange in a single layer. Make sure not to overcrowd the air fryer basket so the hot air can cook the skin to ultimate crispiness.
- Bring the chicken to room temperature. Use room temperature chicken wings, as it will help the wings cook evenly.
- Dry the wings. Ensure you pat dry the chicken before adding the seasonings or else you risk the wings not cooking properly.
- Add baking powder. For extra crispy wings, add a dash of baking powder. You won’t taste it and it really makes it super crispy.
What to serve with chicken wings?
Dipping sauces and dressings are always a fantastic pairing with wings. Some ideas include ranch dressing, ketchup, and bbq sauce.
- Dipping sauces. Try some Wingstop ranch, hot honey sauce, spicy mayo, or even big mac sauce.
- Salads. Keep things light and fresh with a green goddess, orzo, or rice salad.
- Potatoes. Who doesn’t love wings with potatoes? Go sauteed, baked, or have healthier French fries!
- Sauteed vegetables. We love eggplant, broccolini, brussels sprouts, and carrots.
To Store: Leftover wings can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
To Freeze: Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer for six months.
Reheating: Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
Recommended tools to make this recipe
- Air fryer. My tried and tested one which never fails!
- Mixing bowl. To toss through the wings and the seasonings evenly and perfectly.
- Meat thermometer. To double check if the wings are cooked.
More air fryer recipes to try
Frequently Asked Questions
Chicken wings should take less than ten minutes to cook when prepared as instructed.
For extra crispy wings, do not omit the baking powder added to the chicken wing mixture. You won’t taste it but it yields the crispiest wings ever.
Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the wings. They should be 165F/90C.
If you don’t want to air fry the chicken wings, you can bake them in the oven.
Increase the cooking time to 45 minutes and flip halfway through. The oven temperature remains the same as the air fryer (at 200C/400F).
Air Fryer Chicken Wings (Extra Crispy!)
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken wings drumettes and wingettes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Lightly grease an air fryer basket, Preheat the air fryer to 190C/375F.
- Pat dry the chicken wings ensuring there is no moisture.
- Toss the wings in a bowl with olive oil. Add the remaining seasonings and mix well.
- Add the wings to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 9-10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the wings from the air fryer and serve immediately.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.
For extra crispy. You need to air fry for at 10 MINUTES!
So where does the baking powder fit in to this recipe? Like when do we add it?
With the seasonings.
Thanks this was wonderful in that it’s simple. The airfryer worked great, 375f for 10 minutes 5 flip, 5 minutes more. Wow I enjoyed your seasoning it was great, but now I have some more ideas! Thanks so much!
Hello, How much time is added if using Frozen wings? Thx
Just add an extra 2-3 minutes.
Easy to make and very tasty! I did cook my wings longer than just 9-10 minutes, but I like my protein cooked well done.