These oven-baked garlic parmesan wings are here to steal the show. Perfectly juicy inside and crispy on the outside, these are bound to become one of your favorite appetizers ever.
While there are tons of delicious appetizers out there, none of them come close to chicken wings.
They are easily the most popular finger food out there and a must at any party. Some favorites include baked chicken wings and lemon pepper wings. Whenever we want something different, we love making parmesan garlic wings.
Unlike hot wings that can sometimes be too spicy, these are a winner for everyone. How can anyone resist crispy oven-baked wings sprinkled with parmesan cheese?
Table of Contents
- As crispy as breaded wings. You don’t have to bread chicken to make it crispy. Instead, the parmesan cheese replicates the texture while giving it a fabulous flavor. This makes them suitable for those following a low carb diet.
- Healthier than fried wings. Baked in the oven, these wings are less oily and much healthier than fried chicken wings (although still super delicious!).
- Great for parties. Whip up a double or triple batch and feed a crowd or for your next game day party. A warning, though: these will not last long.
This recipe calls for very simple ingredients. Besides the wings and a few spices, there isn’t much else that goes into it. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken wings. Skin-on chicken wings for the crispiest results. Also, I like to use a mix of wings and drumettes to satisfy all parties (my family seems to love the drumettes more!).
- Parmesan cheese. Always use freshly grated parmesan cheese as it tastes better, melts better, and sticks onto the wings better, too.
- Spices. I use a blend of paprika, black pepper, onion, and garlic powder.
- Butter. Softened to room temperature.
- Garlic. Minced.
- Fresh parsley. Finely chopped.
- Oil. Olive oil or any cooking oil of your choice.
- Kosher salt. To taste.
- Baking powder. It’s optional, but adding baking powder is the secret ingredient for foolproof crispy wings. Because we are coating them in parmesan, the wings will already crisp up, but add this if you want that extra crunch.
How to make garlic parmesan wings
I’ve included step-by-step photos below to make this recipe easy to follow at home. For the full printable recipe instructions and ingredient quantities, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Step 1- Make the seasoning mix. Combine garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Sprinkle the chicken wings with the seasoning mix and rub to coat them well.
Step 2- Bake. Arrange the chicken wings on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Bake the wings on the middle rack for 45 minutes in an oven preheated to 450 degrees.
Step 3- Make the garlic parmesan sauce. Melt the butter in a small pot and combine it with minced garlic and chopped parsley leaves. Stir well. Pour the mixture over the baked wings. Sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese.
Step 4- Broil. Bake the wings for another 5 minutes until the wings become crispy.
Alternative cooking methods
Because I love wings cooked using all methods, I’ve tested this recipe using the air fryer and the grill. Here is how you cook them using those means:
Air fryer method: Like my air fryer chicken wings, they turn out perfectly juicy and crispy! Arrange the chicken wings in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook the chicken wings at 200C/400F for around 15 minutes or until they are cooked through, flipping halfway through. Remove the chicken wings from the air fryer, toss them with the garlic butter sauce, and serve.
Grill method: Pretty much the same method as class grilled chicken wings, preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Once hot, lightly grease it before adding the wings on top. Cook both sides for 5-6 minutes, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Base them with the sauce and serve.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Always pat dry the wings. Depending on the packaging of the uncooked wings, they often have excess moisture around them. Before seasoning them, pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Don’t overcrowd. Overcrowding the sheet pan with chicken wings will cause the oven’s temperature to drop. Not only that, doing it will also prevent the wings from getting crispy on all sides.
- Add the sauce AFTER cooking. The garlic parmesan sauce is designed to stick to the wings. Adding it before the chicken is completely cooked will burn them.
- Use a wire rack to bake. For extra crispy chicken wings, put a wire rack over the baking tray and arrange the chicken wings on it. The airflow will make the chicken crispy on all sides.
- Line the baking sheet. The less mess, the better. To make clean-up a breeze, I like to use a rimmed baking sheet, which involves wrapping foil on all sides. Once the wings are cooked, I chuck it away.
To store: Transfer leftover wings into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
To freeze: Place leftovers in a shallow container and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheating: You can reheat chicken wings in the oven or the air fryer. Do not microwave them as they will lose their crispiness.
Frequently asked questions
While chicken wings work best for this recipe, you can also use drumsticks and quarters.
More chicken wing recipes to try
- Korean chicken wings– A little sweet, a teeny bit spicy, but 100% delicious.
- Smoked chicken wings– With or without a smoker.
- Boneless chicken wings– Technically not a wing but seriously delicious.
- Keto chicken wings– Low in carbs but NOT low in flavor.
Garlic Parmesan Wings
Garlic parmesan wing sauce
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Heat the oven to 200C/400F and arrange a rack in the middle of the oven.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. If using baking powder, add that too.
- Place the chicken wings in a baking dish and sprinkle with spices, coat them well. Pour the olive oil over the wings and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the wings are cooking, add the butter to a small pot and place over low heat. Add the garlic and parsley and stir until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from the heat.
- When the wings are cooked, remove them from the oven. Pour the garlic sauce mixture over the wings and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 5 minutes, until the wings becomes crispy and brown.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.