Parmesan crusted chicken is a crave-worthy dinner! This easy recipe features fried chicken breasts coated in Italian-seasoned parmesan breading. Every bite is cheesy, salty, and crunchy!
You can’t go wrong when fried chicken, cheese, and Italian herbs come together, and that’s exactly what you get in this parmesan crusted chicken recipe. It’s foolproof, easy to love, and always hit during family dinners.
It’s been a family favorite in our household for years, and I’m stoked to share this simple and delicious meal with you!
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
This chicken dish may look incredibly fancy, but honestly, it’s such a simple yet elegant way to cook chicken.
- Perfect texture and flavor. The texture is light and crispy on the outside while being extra juicy in the middle. The parmesan crumb compliments the chicken perfectly without being overpowering.
- Ready in 15 minutes. With just a few minutes of prep time and 8 minutes of cooking time, this is such a speedy recipe!
- Freezer-friendly. After they’re fried and cooled, you can freeze the chicken. Simply reheat them when you need a quick and easy dinner, then enjoy!
This pan crusted chicken is so easy and besides the chicken, cheese, and seasonings, there isn’t much else that is needed to make. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken breasts. Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. This recipe should work just as well with boneless chicken thighs or tenders as well.
- Parmesan cheese. Buy a block of parmesan cheese and grate it yourself!
- Bread crumbs. Panko, regular, or gluten-free bread crumbs surround the chicken breasts to give them crunch!
- All purpose flour. To help form an extra crispy coating around each chicken breast.
- Dried herbs and seasonings. The flour coating is seasoned with dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Eggs. To help the flour and breading stick to the chicken.
- Olive oil. For pan frying. You can use any kind of neutral vegetable oil as a substitute.
How to make parmesan crusted chicken
Parmesan chicken breast is easy to make: the main thing to remember is to pat dry the chicken before dredging it.
- Prepare the dredge. Stir the parmesan cheese and bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. In a second bowl, whisk the flour, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper together. Lastly, in a third bowl, add the beaten eggs.
- Coat the chicken. Dip each chicken breast first into the flour mix, then the beaten eggs, and lastly, the parmesan-bread crumb mixture.
- Fry. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, lay the breaded chicken breasts in the pan and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Drain, then serve. Let the fried chicken rest on a wire rack to help them stay crispy. Once all of the chicken breasts are cooked, serve them with your favorite sides and enjoy!
How to make baked parmesan crusted chicken
Did you know that you can bake parmesan chicken instead of frying it? Here is how.
- Prep the chicken as instructed.
- Lay the breaded chicken breasts on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet and spray them with cooking spray.
- Bake in a 400ºF oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Always shred the cheese by hand! Parmesan cheese from the block melts and tastes much better than store-bought shredded cheese.
- Season with lemon. Add some brightness to the fried chicken with a spritz of fresh lemon juice or by serving them with lemon wedges on the side.
- You’ll know the chicken breasts are cooked through when their internal temperature reaches 165ºF. You can check this by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken breasts.
To store: Once cooled, wrap the cooked chicken breasts in plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container. They’ll stay fresh for up to 3 or 4 days in the fridge.
To freeze: Parmesan crusted chicken breasts also freeze well for up to 6 months. Let the leftovers thaw in the fridge before reheating.
To reheat: Reheat the chicken breasts on a sheet pan in a 350ºF oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until they’re warmed through and slightly crisp.
- Mixing bowls. You need 3 mixing bowls to make the dredge for the chicken.
- Large skillet. For frying the parmesan-coated chicken.
- Meat thermometer. To ensure the chicken cooks to a safe internal temperature of 165ºF.
More crispy chicken recipes
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely, it’s identical to the air fryer chicken parmesan (minus the sauce and cheese). To air fry, lay the coated chicken breasts in the air fryer basket and lightly spray them with cooking spray. Air fry at 350ºF for 15 minutes, flip, and cook for another 10 minutes or until they’re crispy and golden.
There are approximately 392 calories in a serving of parmesan crusted chicken.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- In a shallow bowl, combine the grated Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. In a second bowl, add the flour, dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix well. In a separate bowl, add the beaten eggs.
- Dip each chicken breast into the flour mix, then the beaten eggs, allowing any excess to drip off. Press the chicken breasts into the Parmesan breadcrumb mixture, coating both sides thoroughly.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the breaded chicken breasts and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.