This air fryer chicken parmesan is just as crispy, juicy, and cheesy as you’d expect, but made in no time! Ready in minutes, it’s convenient and healthy.
We love using our air fryer to recreate classics but with a healthier twist.
Table of Contents
Why you’ll love this recipe
This is essentially a healthier version of my chicken parmigiana. My family adores it so much, I wanted to create a healthier version without sacrificing taste!
- It’s easy. This recipe comes together in less than 10 minutes and the prep time is minimal.
- Healthy. Compared to classic deep-fried chicken parmesan, this version has a fraction of the calories and fat.
- Budget-friendly. The recipe uses inexpensive ingredients, and affordable cuts of chicken.
For such a fancy-looking recipe, you’ll appreciate the simple ingredient list. Here is what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast. I like to use two large chicken breasts and halve them, but you can use four small ones if you prefer.
- Panko breadcrumbs. For that golden and crunchy exterior.
- Egg. Room temperature.
- Seasonings. Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper
- Parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Both kinds of cheese are used to give keep the topping melty and flavorful.
- Marinara sauce. I used a store-bought sauce but homemade works too.
- Oil spray. To coat the air fryer basket.
How to make air fryer chicken parm
Besides prepping the chicken, the air fryer takes care of all the hard work and you’ll have dinner ready in no time!
Step 1: Prep the ingredients
Start by pounding the chicken breasts until they are around 1/2 an inch thick.
In one bowl, add the egg and in a second bowl, add the panko, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Moving quickly, dip the chicken breasts in the egg then the dry mix.
Step 2: Cook the chicken breast
Put a single layer of your crumbed chicken breasts in the greased air fryer basket and let them air fry for 9 minutes at 175C, flipping them halfway through.
Step 3: Add toppings and air fry
Pull out the frying basket and spoon a layer of marinara sauce onto the chicken breasts before topping it off with your grated parmesan and mozzarella cheese and stick them back for another 2 minutes to get the perfectly melted cheese and a golden crust.
Dietary swaps and substitutions
This recipe is very forgiving and it can easily be adapted to suit most dietary preferences. Here is what we’ve tried:
- Cut the carbs. Swap out the panko for keto bread crumbs (like we did with our keto chicken parmesan).
- Skip the breading. Instead of breading the chicken breasts, simply air fry them without it, then add the marinara and cheese.
- Make it dairy free. Use dairy-free or vegan cheese.
- Make it gluten-free. Swap out the panko for gluten-free panko or breadcrumbs.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Place parchment paper on the base of the air fryer basket once the sauce and cheese are added. This prevents any of the excesses from potentially dripping into the basket.
- Keep an eye on the chicken to ensure it doesn’t overcook. Check the internal temperature and once it reaches 165F, it is ready to enjoy.
- Avoid over-crowding the air fryer basket to evenly cook the chicken breasts.
To store. Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To freeze. Wrap it in foil or use an air-tight container and store the chicken parm in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Reheating. Reheat them in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is sizzling.
More air fryer chicken recipes
- Chicken thighs
- Chicken breast
- Crispy chicken wings
- Chicken drumsticks
- Chicken tenderloins
- Chicken nuggets
- Whole chicken
Frequently asked questions
To avoid this, make sure you pat the chicken breasts and let them sit for a minute or two after coating.
Before coating with panko, thoroughly dip your chicken breasts in beaten eggs or eggwash.
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- Preheat the air fryer to 190C/375F. Grease the air fryer basket.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are around half an inch thick.
- In one bowl add the egg and whisk it well. In the second bowl, add the panko, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Dip the chicken in the egg then dip it in the dry mix until fully coated. Repeat the process until all four chicken breasts are breaded.
- Add the chicken into the greased air fryer basket and air fry for 9 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove the air fryer basket and add 1/4 cup of marinara sauce on top of each chicken breast. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese on top.
- Place the air fryer basket back in the air fryer and air fry for a further 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.