These cherry brownies are soft, fudgy, and rich chocolate brownies with plenty of cherries baked into it! Made with no flour and no grains, these chocolate cherry brownies are made in just one bowl!
When it comes to flourless chocolate desserts, my favorites are a chocolate cake, cinnamon cake, and these delicious cherry brownies.
These cherry brownies have become my new favorite chocolate fix! They are perfect to whip up for a family dessert, dinner party, or something to bring to an office potluck!
The brownies are soft, gooey and fudgy, and loaded with chocolate chips and cherries throughout and on top. They have crispy edges and tops and taste even better with a sprinkling of sea salt.
Unlike traditional chocolate cherry brownies, these are a little different. They are made without butter, without flour, and without sugar, but you’d never tell!
Ingredients for this recipe
- Coconut Oil- Neutral tasting and mixes well with the chocolate. I don’t recommend substituting it for another oil. You CAN replace it with butter.
- Unsweetened Chocolate- Make sure your chocolate is 100% unsweetened. If you use sweetened baking chocolate, you will have extremely sweet brownies.
- Granulated Sweetener of choice- Coconut sugar or brown sugar is preferred. If you’d like lower carb brownies, use monk fruit sweetener or erythritol.
- Eggs- Use room temperature eggs.
- Arrowroot Powder- The amount of carbs in arrowroot powder (once distributed amongst all the brownies) is minimal, and still keto-friendly. You can replace arrowroot with cornstarch.
- Cocoa Powder- Use dark cocoa powder for an even richer flavor.
- Chocolate Chips- Any chocolate chips of choice can be used. For pools of chocolate throughout, use a chopped up chocolate bar.
- Cherries- Fresh or frozen cherries can be used. Be sure to remove the pips from them. Do not use dried cherries, as they will give a sour flavor to the brownies.
How do you make cherry brownies?
Start by lining an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper. Next, in a microwave-safe bowl or in a small saucepan, add your coconut oil with your unsweetened chocolate. On low heat, heat until melted. Whisk together until glossy. Slowly add the sweetener/sugar, followed by the eggs. Finally, add the cocoa and arrowroot powder, and whisk in until no longer grainy. Finally, fold through the cherries and chocolate chips.
Transfer the brownie batter into the lined pan. Bake for 27-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out mostly clean. Let the brownies cool in the pan completely, before slicing.
Tips to make the best cherry brownies
- Try to heat your coconut oil and unsweetened baking chocolate in a saucepan, instead of a microwave. It will be easier to not over-heat and you can achieve the perfect glossy texture.
- Do NOT overbake the brownies- They will continue to cook while they cool down.
- To achieve the crackly glossy tops, you MUST use the ingredients I used. I can’t vouch for any substitutions.
- Sift the arrowroot powder/cornstarch to avoid any clumps.
- For cakier brownies, remove from the oven at the 35-minute mark.
How to store chocolate cherry brownies
- To store: Brownies can be stored at room temperature, in a sealed container. They will keep this way for up to 3 days. t is best to refrigerate chocolate cherry brownies, and they will keep for up to 7 days. Be sure to cover them in plastic or in a container.
- To freeze: Wrap the brownies in parchment paper and place it in a ziplock bag. Store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More delicious brownies to try
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line an 8 x 8-inch deep pan or brownie pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add your coconut oil and unsweetened chocolate and on low heat, heat together. Stir consistently, until combined and glossy. Remove from the heat.
- Add your granulated sweetener of choice and whisk well. Add your 2 eggs (or energ-Y egg replacer) and whisk very well.
- Add your cocoa powder and arrowroot powder and whisk very well, until no longer grainy. Fold through your cherries and chocolate chips, reserving a few to top the brownies with.
- Transfer the cherry brownie batter into the lined pan and top with extra cherries and chocolate chips. Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out the center clean.
- Remove brownies from the oven and allow to cool in the pan completely, before slicing into 12 pieces.