Oreo brownies are rich and fudgy bars loaded with chopped Oreo cookies. Secretly vegan and easily made gluten free, they are a simple, showstopping dessert.
Learning that Oreo cookies were vegan literally made my day. As someone who could polish off a package of Oreos within 2 days, going plant based just became SO much easier. As nice as eating Oreos on their own are, stuffing them into vegan brownies became infinitely better.
For anyone who is vegan and wants to impress their non-vegan friends, THIS is the dessert to make for them. A gooey, fudgy brownie loaded with chunks of Oreo cookies. They require just one bowl to make and no fancy gadgets or ingredients.
In fact, these brownies are made with no oil, butter, or eggs, but you’d never be able to tell.
How do you make Oreo Brownies?
- Chocolate– A chopped up chocolate bar, NOT chocolate chips! Use your favorite vegan chocolate bar or any of the Lindt chocolate blocks above 70% cocoa.
- Sugar of choice– White, brown, coconut, or a sugar free substitute can all be used.
- Yogurt– Coconut yogurt or soy yogurt. You can use either plain flavored or a vanilla flavored one.
- All purpose flour– Sifted prior to adding to the ingredients, to ensure no clumps remain.
- Cocoa powder– Dutch processed cocoa powder or for a richer flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
- Baking soda– The leavening agent to give them some rise and depth.
- Milk of choice– Use your favorite plant based milk, like almond milk or soy milk.
- Oreo cookies– Use classic Oreo cookies or my homemade Oreos.
Start by preparing your brownie batter, by mixing together your melted chocolate with the sugar and yogurt. Whisk together, until combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly, and mix until just combined. Fold through the Oreos at the end, reserving a few pieces to top the brownies with. Bake for 25-30 minutes, before removing from the oven and letting them cool in the pan completely.
- Gluten Free Oreo Brownies– Use gluten free flour, like Bob’s 1:1. Replace the Oreos with either homemade Oreos or Gluten Free Chocolate Sandwich cookies.
- Keto Oreo Brownies– Make keto brownies and fold through chopped up keto Oreos into the batter.
- Sugar Free Oreo Brownies– Use a sugar free chocolate bar instead of chocolate and use a sugar free substitute for the sugar (like monk fruit sweetener or erythritol).
Tips to make the best oreo brownies
- If you’d like gooey brownies, remove them from the oven around the 25 minute mark. For thicker and cakier brownies, remove them at the 32-35 minute mark.
- Reserve some Oreos to top the brownies with, for aesthetic purposes.
- For an extra dose of chocolate, fold through your favorite chocolate chips into the brownie batter, along with the Oreo cookies.
- Feel free to fold through different nuts into the batter, or even other chopped up candy bars!
Storing and Freezing Brownies
- To store: Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. If you’d like them to keep longer, store in the refrigerator.
- To freeze: Place leftover brownies in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More Brownie Recipes to try
Fudgy Oreo Brownies (No dairy!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch pan and set aside.
- In a small saucepan or in a microwave-safe bowl, add your chopped chocolate. Melt your chocolate. Remove from the heat and add in your sugar and yogurt, and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda, and mix until just combined. Add your milk and mix well, until fully incorporated. Fold through your chopped Oreo cookies, reserving a few to top the brownies with.
- Transfer the brownie batter into the lined pan and top with extra Oreos. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out 'just' clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely, before slicing.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.