This couscous salad is filled with chopped tomatoes, cucumber, olives, and creamy feta, all tossed in a simple Greek dressing. An easy and healthy side dish or meal on its own!
There is nothing better than some delicious antipasto. While it’s delicious as part of a charcuterie board or appetizer platter, it’s even better when added to salads. As someone who loves a good Greek salad, this couscous twist on it takes it up another level.
Couscous salad was a common side dish during my childhood. It is such a versatile and blank slate, that can be dressed up in a plethora of ways. As someone who adores a fresh Greek salad, I wanted to combine to two and create a couscous salad recipe with a twist!
It’s loaded with incredible textures and flavors– salty olives, fresh tomatoes, creamy feta, with mouthfuls of fluffy couscous. It’s healthy and packed with nutrients, and takes no time to prepare. The homemade Greek salad dressing takes it to another level.
How do you make a Greek couscous salad
- Couscous– Cook your couscous as per the package directions. Often they suggest adding butter after fluffing the couscous, but I recommend leaving it as it is, to make it easier to mix into the other ingredients (it won’t clump together!).
- Tomatoes– Use either Roma tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes.
- Cucumber– Persian cucumbers or Lebanese cucumbers, chopped finely.
- Red Onion– You MUST use red onion and not a white onion. The latter is too intense and will be too overpowering.
- Black Olives– A must for any good Greek salad! If possible, use sliced black olives, as they distribute better between the couscous.
- Feta cheese– I tried this with Greek feta and also a Vegan feta cheese (as pictured). You want to use feta cheese from a block, as it retains a more intense flavor.
- Olive oil– What good couscous salad doesn’t have olive oil as part of the dressing?
- Red wine vinegar– The vinegar must be red wine, for an authentic Greek salad dressing.
- Lemon juice– Brings out all the flavors and adds an extra tang.
- Oregano– A popular Greek spice, this takes the salad to another level!
- Salt and Pepper– To taste!
Start by making your salad dressing first. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together your olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste, then refrigerate. Prepare the actual salad by adding in your cooked couscous, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and crumbled feta cheese. Gently mix together, until everything is just combined. Pour the dressing all over the salad, and toss very well, until fully incorporated. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Tips for the best couscous salad
- Make sure your couscous has been fluffed and cooled before adding it to the salad. Do not refrigerate it though, as we want it to be tender!
- Use flavored olive oil, like chili olive oil or garlic olive oil.
- Make this salad as part of meal prep! Prepare a big batch on the weekend and distribute between 5 containers. The dressing doesn’t need to be separated.
Couscous Salad Flavor Variations
- Protein– Add some plant based protein, like grilled tofu or a veggie burger. If you don’t follow a plant based diet, you can add some grilled chicken or salmon.
- Cheese– Not a fan of feta? No worries! Add some sharp cheddar cheese or even a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Vegetables– Amp up the vegetables by adding some chopped bell peppers, radishes, or even some parsley.
- Legumes– Another plant based protein option, add some chickpeas (garbanzo beans), black beans or kidney beans.
- Nuts– I personally love salads with nuts, so sprinkle some pine nuts or sliced almonds over it, for some added crunch.
How do you store Couscous Salad
Couscous salad should always be stored in the refrigerator. It not only retains extra flavor (like a stew or curry), but there is no chance of the feta cheese spoiling. Refrigerated salad will keep for up to 1 week.
Do not freeze the salad.
More Healthy Recipes to try
Healthy Greek Couscous Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked couscous gluten free, if needed
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup cucumbers chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese vegan, if needed
- 1/4 cup black olives sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
For the Greek Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Prepare the salad dressing, by whisking together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and dried oregano. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your fluffed couscous, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, sliced olives, and red onion and mix well, until just combined.
- Pour the dressing over it and mix very well, until the dressing is fully incorporated into the salad. Serve immediately, or refrigerate.