These keto sugar cookies are soft, buttery, and made in just one bowl, you won’t believe they are low carb! Ready in just 20 minutes, they make the perfect keto cookie for the holidays! 1 gram net carbs per cookie.
Keto Sugar Cookies
Whenever the festive season is in full swing, It’s my mission to make as many cookies as humanly possible. In the past, I used to make gingerbread or pumpkin spice cookies, but recently, I’ve gone back to classics, with sugar cookies.
I’ve been meaning to share a keto sugar cookie recipe now for quite some time. As someone who has eaten MANY sugar cookies in their lifetime, these may be my very favorites, keto or not keto. One of my friends is the ultimate sugar cookie snob, so I HAD to make a batch for her to give her seal of approval!
Now, these keto sugar cookies may look fancy, but they are ridiculously easy to make and use a handful of ingredients.
No eggs, no grains, and no oil are needed, but you’d never tell- The texture is thick, slightly soft, and rich- so much that it melts in your mouth. There is a slight buttery vanilla flavor, and pleasant sweetness, without being overpowering.
So how did my friend find it? Well, she could NOT believe that it was low carb or sugar free… she thought they tasted like any bakery style cookie!
How do you make low carb sugar cookies?
- Almond flour– Blanched and superfine almond flour, not almond meal. This ensures the sugar cookies are smooth and
- Coconut flour–
- Powdered sweetener– Keto powdered sugar, for the finer consistency.
- Salt– A must to bring out the overall sweetness of the cookies.
- Unsalted butter– Room temperature and softened. If you have only have salted butter, you can use that and omit the salt. See my tips to keep these cookies vegan below.
- Cream cheese– Softened cream cheese or dairy free cream cheese. If you use the latter, be sure that it comes from a block, not a spreadable tub.
- Vanilla extract– A must for any good cookie recipe!
- Granulated sweetener– Optional, but I like to roll my cookies in some granulated sweetener, like monk fruit or erythritol.
Start by adding your dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, and whisk together until combined. Next, add the softened butter, and using a stick mixer, beat the butter in until a crumbly texture remains. Finally, add the softened cream cheese and vanilla extract and beat until large clumps of dough remains.
Now, lightly sprinkle some almond flour onto a kitchen surface. Using your hands, transfer the dough onto it and roll into a ball. Gently knead the dough until smooth and uniform. Cover the ball of dough completely, and refrigerate it for at least 40 minutes.
Once the dough has been chilled, remove it from the refrigerator. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface, followed by the ball of dough. Roll out the dough until around 1/4 of an inch. Using a cookie cutter, cut out cookies. If desired, dip each cookie in the granulated sweetener.
Finally, bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges just begin to go lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Can I make these cookies without dairy?
Yes, these cookies can be made without dairy, especially if you’d like them to be vegan sugar cookies.
Simply use vegan butter (from a block) and dairy free cream cheese. No additional changes need to be made.
Tips to make the best sugar free sugar cookies
- You must refrigerate the dough to ensure that it doesn’t overspread. Even 30 minutes is better than no refrigeration.
- If you’d like to bake the cookies at a later time, you can keep the dough refrigerated for up to 3 days. Be sure to let the dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, before rolling it out.
- Traditional sugar cookies often have almond extract added, but I found (personally) that the flavor was overpowering. Id you’d like a more authentic sugar cookie flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract.
- Do not overbake the cookies. They continue to firm up as they are cooling down. Once they are firm on top when touched and the sides are just beginning to go golden, they are ready to be removed.
How to store sugar cookies
- To store: Sugar cookies will keep at room temperature, covered, for up to 2 weeks. You are welcome to store them in the refrigerator if you’d like them to keep longer.
- To freeze: Place sugar cookies in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
More delicious keto cookies to try
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Almond Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Almond Flour Cookies
- Brownie Cookies
Keto Sugar Cookies (1 gram net carbs!)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons almond flour superfine blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 6 tablespoon sugar free powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter softened, standard or dairy free
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese softened, standard or dairy free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice monk fruit sweetener or erythritol
- In a large mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients and mix well. Add your softened butter and cream cheese and using a stick mixer, beat the butter into it, until crumbly. Add the vanilla extract and continue beating, until clumps of dough remains.
- Add some almond flour onto a kitchen surface. Transfer the dough onto it and gently knead, until smooth. Cover the ball of dough completely and flatten, then refrigerate for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Line a large sheet of parchment paper onto a kitchen surface. Transfer the dough onto it and place another sheet of parchment paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until 1/4 of an inch in thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut out circles of cookie dough. Lightly dip each side of the cookie in the granulated sweetener and place it on a lined cookie sheet. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used up.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges just begin to go lightly golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.