This top round roast recipe turns a budget-friendly cut of beef into a flavorful and juicy roast. It’s a mostly hands-off meal that makes for an impressive main course or filling for beef sandwiches.
You can’t go wrong with a sirloin tip roast or ribeye roast for a fancy beef dinner, but when you need a more affordable alternative, turn to this top round roast recipe! It’s equally as elegant and incredibly easy to make.
This herb-crusted beef transforms a humble cut of meat into a masterpiece. First, the beef is coated in herbs and seasonings for extra flavor and a crisp, seared crust then roasted until it’s golden on the outside and fall-apart tender on the inside.
Table of Contents
Why this recipe works
Top round roast beef may look intimidating to make, but honestly, it’s one of the most hands-off and foolproof roasts ever.
- Budget-friendly beef dinner. This beef is a delicious main dish that’s both cost-conscious and crowd-pleasing.
- Quick and easy. Besides a quick 5-minute prep, the oven takes care of the rest.
- Incredible texture and flavor. The texture of the meat is extra juicy and tender in the middle. It’s mild enough to dress up with some gravies or sauces but flavorful enough to enjoy as is.
This beef top round roast is so easy, and besides the meat and seasonings, there isn’t anything else needed to make. Here is what you’ll need:
- Top round roast. Buy a roast that has some fat marbled throughout and has a relatively uniform thickness to ensure that it cooks evenly.
- Dried herbs. I like to coat the beef in a generous layer of dried oregano, thyme, and rosemary.
- Dry mustard. This helps tenderize the beef and gives it a tangy bite.
- Salt and pepper. Use kosher salt or sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper to enhance the taste and texture of the crust.
How to cook a top round roast
Fall-apart top round roast is easy to make: the only thing to remember is to mop up any excess moisture the meat naturally contains.
Season: Stir the herbs and spices together, then rub them all over the outside of the beef.
Roast: Place the herb-crusted beef in a shallow roasting pan and roast to your desired doneness.
Rest, then slice: Remove the beef from the oven and tent it loosely with foil. Let rest before slicing and serving.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Bring to room temperature. Remember to take the meat out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. This gives it a chance to come down to room temperature, helping it cook evenly.
- Cook it fat side up. Roast the beef with the thin fat cap facing up. This helps the fat render and distribute throughout the rest of the meat, giving you extra tender and juicy beef.
- Cook to medium-rare. Stick a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the beef to ensure that it’s cooked to a perfect medium rare (135ºF to 140°F).
- Rest before slicing. When it’s done cooking, take the beef out of the oven and loosely place a large piece of foil over top. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes so the juices can redistribute throughout the meat.
- Slice against the grain. The best way to slice roast beef is against the grain and into thin, even slices.
Flavor and recipe variations
Use different herbs and spices. Swap the seasonings in the herb coasting with your favorites! Dried parsley, dried sage, marjoram, granulated garlic, onion flakes, smoked paprika, and red pepper flakes would all be delicious.
Use a seasoning blend. A great way to save time is to swap the seasonings in the recipe for a store-bought Italian, Cajun, or Montreal steak seasoning blend.
Make an herb paste rub. Replace the herb crust in the recipe with olive oil, freshly minced garlic, and fresh herbs (like parsley, oregano, sage, thyme, and rosemary). Stir them together, then rub the herb paste onto the surface of the beef before roasting.
Roast with veggies. Turn this into an easy one-pan meal by roasting root vegetables, like potatoes, carrots, and parsnips, in the roasting pan alongside the beef.
To store: Let the leftovers cool to room temperature and place them in an airtight container. The beef will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
To freeze: Wrap the beef in aluminum foil or place it in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for 2 to 3 months. Let the leftovers thaw in the fridge before reheating.
The best way to go all out is to use the leftovers in sandwiches, like a Italian beef sandwich.
You can also toss the thinly sliced roast beef with your favorite combination of salad greens, fresh veggies, and dressing, just like in this steak salad recipe. And when your beef stew or vegetable soup needs extra bulk, stir in the leftover top round roast!
More impressive ways to cook beef
Frequently asked questions
The total cooking time varies depending on the size of the roast and your desired level of doneness. In this recipe, a 4-pound top round roast takes 15 minutes to sear at 450°F, then approximately 1 hour to finish cooking to medium-rare at 350ºF.
If you want! You can baste the beef by spooning the drippings in the bottom of the pan over the top as it roasts. This can keep the beef moist and juicy, but be careful not to overdo it as the drippings can make the seared crust soggy.
Leftover roast beef is deliciously versatile! It’s best used in sandwiches but can also be added to salad for extra protein and stews for bulk.
Top Round Roast Recipe
- 4 lbs top round roast
- 4 teaspoons oregano dried
- 4 teaspoons thyme dried
- 2 teaspoons Rosemary dried
- 2 teaspoons salt coarse
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 220C/450°F.
- Combine all ingredients and rub evenly on the top round roast.
- Place the roast in a shallow roasting pan fitted with a rack.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 180C/350°F. Roast for around 50 minutes, or until the beef reaches an internal temperature of 140°F.
- Remove the roast from the oven and tent it loosely with foil. Let the meat rest for 10-15 minutes before carving against the grain.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.