Apple Crumble Pie is a buttery and flaky crust filled with sliced apples and topped with a crumb topping! Also known as a Dutch apple pie, it’s secretly vegan and gluten free, but you’d never tell!
Apple pie is one of my favorite classic desserts that make an appearance every couple of months. There’s something nostalgic about a slice of apple pie (with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream!). It’s the combination of pastry, sweet apples, and a hit of cinnamon that is just so comforting. This apple crumble pie is my absolute favorite, as its a cross between a classic pie and an apple crisp!
What I also love about this apple pie is that there is no syrup or liquid added to the filling. This helps immensely when I’m baking this pie for a party or a holiday event, because I can bake it several days in advance, and I don’t have to worry about the crumble topping going soggy!
How do you make an apple crumble pie
Don’t let the pie concept scare you off- This vegan apple pie is so easy to make and requires no fancy kitchen gadgets. Overall, you need less than 8 ingredients to put it all together!
- Pie Crust– You’ll need to use a crust to fit a 9-inch pan. I used the same crust as my blueberry pie but halved it. You can also use a store bought one if you’d prefer.
- Apples– A must for an apple recipe! I recommend using green apples (granny smith, or similar) as the tartness complements the sugar, however, red varieties can also be used. You want the apples to be sliced, not chopped.
- Sugar of choice– Any sugar can be used. White, brown, coconut, or unrefined sugar.
- All purpose flour– Regular all purpose flour or gluten free flour.
- Cinnamon– A must in any recipe that uses apples! The spices take the apple pie to another level!
- Walnuts– For the added streusel topping! You can omit this, or substitute it with pecans or hazelnuts.
- Vegan butter– I recommend using vegan butter from a block, as it has no or minimal added water to it. If you can’t find a good quality vegan butter, use a vegan buttery spread or margarine.
Start by preparing your pie crust, or setting up your store bought one. Prepare the apple pie filling, by adding the sliced apples, cinnamon, sugar, and flour into a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, prepare the crumble topping. Assemble the pie by adding the apple filling into the pie crust, then sprinkling the crumble over the top. Bake at 180C/350F for 45-50 minutes, or until the crumb topping has become golden brown and the apples are tender. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, before serving.
Can I make a refined sugar free apple pie?
This pie includes apples, which already contain natural sugars. As such, this recipe is unable to be completely sugar free.
However, you can make it refined sugar free, with a few twists.
For the granulated sweetener in the pie filling and the crumble topping, use monk fruit sweetener or erythritol.
Tips for the apple crumble pie
- The pie can be prepared up to 3 days in advance before you plan to serve it. Simply reheat in the oven for 10 minutes, or until warm.
- Using sliced apples instead of chopped apples is more authentic to a Dutch apple pie. For a traditional apple pie, you can use chopped apples.
- The crumb topping is optional- If you’d prefer to have a lattice or pie crust on top instead, simply prepare the double pie crust.
- This is a vegan and gluten free apple pie. If you’d like a lower carb pie, you can replace this crust with my grain free pie crust.
- If you follow no special diets, regular butter and regular flour can be used.
Storing and Freezing Apple Pie
- To store: Leftover apple pie should be stored in the refrigerator, completely covered. The pie will keep well for up to 2 weeks. Let the pie sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, before enjoying it. If you’d like it warm, heat it up in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- To freeze: You can either freeze the pie as a whole or as individual slices. If you freeze the whole pie, cover in plastic wrap completely. If you do individual slices, place them in a shallow container. The frozen pie will keep well for up to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- To reheat: Your pie must be room temperature before reheating. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and once warm, heat for 10 minutes.
More vegan pies you’ll enjoy
Classic Apple Crumble Pie
- 1 9-inch pie crust homemade or store bought * See notes
For the apple pie filling
- Prepare your pie crust or use a store bought pie crust. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare your apple pie filling. Add your sliced apples, sugar of choice, cinnamon, and flour and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, prepare your crumb topping. Add your sugar of choice, flour, and chopped walnuts, and mix well. Add your melted butter and mix until a crumbly texture remains.
- Transfer the apple pie filling into the prepared pie crust. Cover the top of the pie with the crumble mixture.
- Bake the pie for 45-50 minutes, or until the crumble has turned golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes, before serving.