This healthy apple crisp is a cozy and comforting dessert made with easy ingredients! No refined sugar and no grains needed, it’s simple yet sure to impress!
Healthy Apple Crisp
Why this healthy apple crisp will be your favorite apple dessert-
- No refined sugar. No white sugar or brown sugar is needed whatsoever. Instead, we use maple syrup and coconut sugar to add some sweetness, and even then it is used sparingly!
- No grains or eggs. Unlike traditional apple crisp recipes, this one uses no grains or eggs. This means NO white flour.
- Quick and easy! This is the kind of dessert you can prepare with little notice.
- Freezer friendly. Whenever I make an apple crisp, I always make an extra batch to keep in the freezer. Whenever I’m hosting friends for dinner or need a cozy dessert, I simply defrost and plop in the oven!
This apple crisp ticks all the boxes. A sweet and rich filling, topped with a crispy and tender topping. It’s sweet, slightly tart, and perfect when served on its own or with a scoop of ice cream!
This is the kind of healthy dessert I love to prepare when I have friends over. It feeds a crowd and NO ONE can tell it’s healthy and wholesome.
What you’ll need to make this healthy apple crisp recipe
For the filling
- Apples– Crisp and fresh apples, not ones which are on their last legs. Use a mix of tart and sweet apples, like granny smith apples and gala apples. Peel the apples, because the skins will be quite bitter if used in the filling.
- Lemon juice– The citrus balances out the tartness of the apples.
- Maple syrup– A refined sugar free sweetener. You can also use honey or agave nectar.
- Cornstarch– Thickens the filling.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg– Warming spices that are perfect with any apple dessert out there.
For the crisp topping
- Almonds– Finely chopped almonds to make the topping extra crispy.
- Almond flour– Blanched almond flour, not almond meal.
- Shredded coconut– Unsweetened shredded coconut with no added sugar. This doesn’t give too much of a coconut flavor but gives it a lovely crunch.
- Coconut oil– Softened to room temperature. Use refined coconut oil to ensure there is no coconut taste. You can also use unsalted butter.
- Coconut sugar– Adds a little sweetness, while keeping the topping refined sugar free.
How do you make a healthy apple crisp?
Start by adding the filling ingredients to a mixing bowl until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk together the crisp topping until combined. Transfer the filling into a greased 9 x 9-inch baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling. After 25 minutes, remove the baking dish and spread the crisp topping on top. Place back in the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes, until golden brown.
Tips to make the best recipe
- Apples are key. You don’t want your crisp to be too sweet, but you also don’t want to be too tart. Use a mix of tart apples (granny smith, pink lady, and empire apples) and sweet apples (golden delicious, Fuji, and gala apples).
- If you notice the top of your crisp topping becoming golden brown sooner than 10 minutes, you can cover the baking dish and continue cooking until the filling is bubbling.
- Serve this apple crisp with some healthy ice cream or frozen yogurt, for a cozy and satisfying healthy dessert.
Storing and freezing low sugar apple crisp
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered. Apple crisp will keep well for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place apple crisp in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave the apple crisp in 20-second spurts until warm or place it back in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
More healthy apple desserts to try
Healthy Apple Crisp
For the filling
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking dish and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the filling ingredients and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, add the crisp topping ingredients and whisk together.
- Place the filling into the greased baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the apples have softened. Remove from the oven and spread out the crisp topping over it. Place back in the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes, before serving.