This healthy apple pie is made without eggs or dairy, but you’d never tell. A delicious filling with a crumb topping, no one will know it has no added sugar!
Healthy Apple Pie
Why this healthy apple pie recipe will leave you mesmerized-
- 6 Ingredients! Count them for yourself! Many of the pie filling ingredients are used in the crumb topping too!
- Customizable. You can change up the spices, use various flours, and use different chopped nuts.
- Minimal prep. Two mixing bowls. One with the filling ingredients and one for the crumb topping. That is it!
- Refined sugar free. Traditional apple pie recipes call for white sugar AND brown sugar. This pie, however, only uses coconut sugar. It can also be made completely sugar free.
With a smooth and gooey filling (thanks to the caramelized apples!) and a crumbly and crunchy topping, this is the kind of healthy dessert you can feel confident serving your guests or making during the holiday season- NO ONE will ever be able to tell, it’s THAT good!
Ingredients to make the best healthy pie
For the apple pie
- Pie crust– Any store bought or homemade pie crust can be used. My favorite pre-prepared one is the Wholefoods prepared pie crust as it bakes beautifully and holds its shape well.
- Apples– Just like in my apple crisp recipe, I recommend using a mix of tart and sweet kinds of apples, like granny smith and golden delicious ones.
- Coconut sugar– A healthier choice over white or brown sugar. You can also use a sugar substitute, like brown sugar or erythritol.
- Flour– White whole wheat flour, which is 100% whole grains (but looks like white flour!).
- Apple pie spice- A mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamon.
For the crumb topping
- Coconut sugar– You can also use sugar free alternatives.
- Flour– Again, use the white whole wheat flour.
- Walnuts– Roughly chopped. They add a delicious and nutty crunch and pairs beautifully with the apples.
- Coconut oil OR butter– Either coconut oil or butter can be used. If you use coconut oil, stick to the refined variety to ensure there is no coconut flavor.
How do you make a healthy apple pie?
1. In a mixing bowl, add the apples, coconut sugar, flour, and cinnamon, and mix well.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the crumb topping ingredients until combined.
3. Transfer the apple mixture into a pie crust. Cover the mixture with the crumb topping then transfer it to the oven for 45 minutes.
4. Remove the prepared pie from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes, before slicing and serving.
Tips to make the best healthy pie recipe
- If you notice your crumb topping browning early in the baking process (around the 25-minute mark), cover the dish with tin foil and continue cooking until the apples are bubbling.
- Feel free to swap out some of the apples with cranberries, blackberries, or raspberries.
- You can omit the pie crust and enjoy this as a healthy apple crumble (or simply make a healthy apple crisp).
- This pie is naturally vegan, and can be made gluten free. Simply swap out the all purpose flour to a gluten free blend.
Storing and freezing apple pie
- To store: Healthy pie can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place leftovers in a shallow container and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Reheating: Either microwave for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated oven. You can also heat up slices in an air fryer!
More healthy dessert recipes to try
Healthy Apple Pie
- 1 9-inch pie crust Homemade or a healthy store bought kind * See notes
- 5 cups apples sliced, Approximately 7-8 medium sized apples
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoon white whole wheat flour or plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F. Have your pie crust prepared and ready to be filled.
- In a mixing bowl, add your sliced apples, flour, cinnamon, and coconut sugar and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine all the crumb topping ingredients and mix until a crumbly texture remains.
- Transfer the apple filling mixture into the pie crust. Cover the with crumb topping until it covers the entire top of the pie.
- Bake the pie for 40-45 minutes, or until the crumb topping is golden brown and the apples are bubbling.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes, before slicing and serving.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website.