This vegan coconut cream pie is filled with whipped coconut cream, topped with a creamy coconut custard and covered with toasted coconut flakes. Made without eggs and without tofu, this dairy free coconut cream pie is easily made keto.
Vegan Coconut Cream Pie
I’m pretty sure this is the ultimate no bake dessert out there.
6 simple ingredients.
No fancy mixers of multiple mixing bowls needed.
It comes with plenty of dietary options- It’s vegan and sugar free, but can easily be keto and low carb.
You can layer the creamy custard on the bottom or on the top- whichever way you prefer. It’s also perfect for those following a dairy free and egg free diet! I promise you, this dreamy coconut cream pie ticks all the boxes.
How to make a dairy free coconut cream pie
- Pie crust– I used a homemade no bake pie crust, but you can use a baked one or even a store bought one. Provided it fits into an 8-inch pan, you’ll be sorted!
- Sugar of choice– This coconut cream pie has been tested several times to make sure it fits various diet options. White sugar, coconut palm sugar, and erythritol, a keto sweetener, all can be used.
- Cornstarch– This helps thicken the custard, and help stick with the whipped cream. See the dietary swaps below for tested options.
- Full Fat Coconut Milk– Your coconut milk must be full fat and must be from a can. Using lite or reduced fat coconut milk will not have the right texture, and you’ll find it difficult for the custard to remain creamy.
- Vanilla Extract– Adds a delicious vanilla flavor to the no bake coconut cream pie.
- Coconut Whipped Cream– To either fill the pie crust with or top over the creamy custard.
Making this coconut cream pie so simple and follows just 3 simple steps-
- Prepare the pie crust or use a store-bought crust.
- Make your creamy custard and refrigerate it, to allow it to thicken and firm up. Once firm, beat with an electric mixer and pour into the pie crust, before refrigerating it for 30 minutes, to firm up.
- Prepare your coconut whipped cream, and spread out over the custard. Top with shredded coconut flakes and enjoy!
TIP! You can do it the other way round, if you like- Swap steps 2 and 3 and have the custard on TOP of the cream.
Homemade No Bake Pie Crust
I made my own no bake pie crust, to keep it vegan and keto. I used the following recipe-
2 cups blanched almond flour, 1/4 cup sweetener of choice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 6-7 tablespoons butter (dairy free).
In a large mixing bowl, combine all your ingredients and mix well. If needed, add a little extra butter. Transfer to an 8-inch circular pan and press into place.
Recipe Substitutions and Dietary Substitutions
- Paleo Coconut Cream Pie– Replace the cornstarch with arrowroot powder and use coconut palm sugar as the sweetener.
- Keto Coconut Cream Pie– Swap the cornstarch with psyllium husks. As different brands yield different textures, start with 1/2 teaspoon, and increase as needed. Be very careful though, as too much can destroy the recipe. Also, use erythritol or monk fruit as the sweetener.
- Gluten Free Coconut Cream Pie– Use any gluten free thickener (arrowroot powder, tapioca starch, potato starch) and be sure all ingredients used are treated in a facility with minimal or no contact with gluten products.
Coconut Cream Pie Tips
- When making your coconut whipped cream, you want to beat it until medium peaks form. You’ll find that it will stick with the custard so much easier.
- I opted to fill the pie crust with the coconut cream first, instead of adding it on top of the custard. If you choose to do this too, simply whip the coconut cream first.
- For a more pronounced coconut flavor, feel free to swap the vanilla extract for coconut extract.
- Before refrigerating the custard to firm up, lightly touch the top of it, to avoid a film forming on top.
Storing and Freezing Coconut Cream Pie
- To store: The coconut cream pie should always be kept in the refrigerator, to avoid spoilage. It will keep well for up to 1 week, covered.
- To freeze: You can freeze coconut cream pie to enjoy at a later time. Just be sure to pre-slice the pie and keep it completely covered, in a freezer friendly container. It will keep for at least 2 months.
More No Bake Desserts you’ll enjoy
No Bake Coconut Cream Pie (Vegan + Keto)
- Prepare your crust and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add your sugar, cornstarch and mix well. Add the coconut milk and heat on medium. Whisk consistently, until it thickens and begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Transfer to a glass bowl and let sit for 5 minutes, before covering. Be sure to lightly touch the tops so a film doesn’t form. Refrigerate for around 2 hours, for it to set.
- Once the filling has set, remove from the fridge and using an electric mixer, mix until smooth and creamy. Transfer the coconut cream mixture into the pie crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until it has firmed up slightly.
- Prepare your coconut whipped cream by removing the coconut cream from the refrigerator and removing only the cream (hardened) portion on top, discarding any extra liquid. Place the cream in a large mixing bowl and add the sweetener. Beat until thick and creamy.
- Pour the whipped cream over the cream pie and top with shredded coconut flakes. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, to firm up, before slicing.